Author Topic: Brother-HL-2035 not printing ? ? ?  (Read 16224 times)

dcull

Brother-HL-2035 not printing ? ? ?
« on: January 23, 2016, 09:59:30 am »
Brother-HL-2035 not printing after two years of struggle with CUPS.

Thanks to a reply to my questions from Lewis G Rosenthal of Arca Noae I now understand   that it might be possible to use the PCL drivers. Now I need to figure out how to do this. (its been a long time since I installed a printer).

Do I need to delete the HL-2035 (which has ECUPS.Brother HL2035 has the default
driver) and re install it with HL-1250 driver as the default?

usbDock recognizes the HL-2035 as connected.

If someone could point me to advice on the best way to proceed, much appreciated.
dc

roberto

• View Profile
Re: Brother-HL-2035 not printing ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 11:18:42 am »
My questions are very silly, but ...
1-You can print a test page
2-You can have the broken wire or disconnected
saludos

ak120

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 02:27:21 pm »
Unfortunately it's totally impossible to use a GDI printer (brother HL-2035) with PCL (LASERJET) drivers. Only option to use is the hl1250 ghostscript printer driver.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 03:32:36 pm »
Brother-HL-2035 not printing after two years of struggle with CUPS.
Sorry, I misunderstood the question, I thought the cups used with for two years, and now I had rounded by function.
saludos

dcull

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 07:49:26 pm »
Unfortunately it's totally impossible to use a GDI printer (brother HL-2035) with PCL (LASERJET) drivers. Only option to use is the hl1250 ghostscript printer driver.

Does this mean re-configuring CUPS so that loads the hl1250 driver instead of the one listed for hl-2030?

dcull

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 07:54:04 pm »
My questions are very silly, but ...
1-You can print a test page
2-You can have the broken wire or disconnected
saludos

1-Not possible to print a test page.
2- No broken or disconnected wire.  usbDock shows the printer is connected. job details page shows a red block betweenj pc and printer for each file I try to print.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 09:38:11 pm »
Hi David

2- No broken or disconnected wire.  usbDock shows the printer is connected. job details page shows a red block betweenj pc and printer for each file I try to print.

Possibly a silly question but do you have all the necessary cups support files in place? - especially the current libusb package?

I ask because the red block seems to suggest a lack of connectivity between pc and printer.

Regards

Pete

dcull

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 07:48:16 pm »
Hi David

Possibly a silly question but do you have all the necessary cups support files in place? - especially the current libusb package?

I ask because the red block seems to suggest a lack of connectivity between pc and printer.

hi Pete
Probably not. I sort of gave up on CUPS and the printer about a year ago.
I have a recent download of usbdrv200.zip. Is that the package? The readusb.txt file tells me that this set of files cannot be mixed with the Arca Noae usb versions.
I started this line of questions again having arrived at the finances for an Arca Noae subscription and maybe its best to try that first? does it include the current libusb files? Is there a checklist of all the necessary cups support files?
tia  :-\
Dave

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 09:01:22 pm »
David,

I don't think you will ever get the printer to print from OS/2.  It is a win printer (GDI). See here for information http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Generic/Generic-GDI_Printer

Even getting the Linux driver from Brother is a kludge in that all they provide is a cups wrapper to take over and do the processing in the computer since the printer can't.

If you are a programmer you might be able to port the cups wrapper to OS/2 and use it that way.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 02:22:31 am »
David,

I don't think you will ever get the printer to print from OS/2.  It is a win printer (GDI). See here for information http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Generic/Generic-GDI_Printer

Even getting the Linux driver from Brother is a kludge in that all they provide is a cups wrapper to take over and do the processing in the computer since the printer can't.

If you are a programmer you might be able to port the cups wrapper to OS/2 and use it that way.

Looks like the HL-2035 is supported by gutenprint...  It's listed at http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php

So it should be possible to get this working with CUPS....

ak120

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 05:34:49 am »
Of course HL-2030 driver from gutenprint (former gimp-print) would be the second choice.
http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Brother/Brother-HL-2035

But why not simply using the omni driver? Which of your applications requires CUPS?

dcull

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 09:24:17 am »

Looks like the HL-2035 is supported by gutenprint...  It's listed at http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php

So it should be possible to get this working with CUPS....
[/quote]

Well, the HL-2035 is recognized. usbDock finds it and gives it an icon. It seems to me that perhaps the usb drivers need to be upgraded. The options appear to be:
1) subscribing to Arca Noae in order to get their new usb drivers.
2) trying to install the new drivers from usbdrv200.zip
         the readme says its has to be one, or the other -- no mixing
         the process looks to be long and complicated.

I have to decide which way to go  :-\

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 01:07:59 am »
Hi David

The most recent libusb package I know of is here ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/ecups/install/libusbdll10.wpi

Whether you need to update usb drivers would depend on what level usb drivers you are using.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 01:44:40 am »
2) trying to install the new drivers from usbdrv200.zip
         the readme says its has to be one, or the other -- no mixing
         the process looks to be long and complicated.

The easy way is to use WarpIn to uninstall the Arca Noae drivers, DO NOT BOOT, then simply unzip usbdrv200.zip to the root of the boot drive (being sure to extract to subdirectories), then reboot. To go back to the AN drivers, simply install them again, allowing them to overwrite any newer files.

Be aware that usbdrv200.zip contains newer drivers than what the AN package contains. That has the advantage that they may do something that the AN drivers don't do. It also has the disadvantage that it may do something that the AN drivers don't do (yes, the same). So far, the only real difference, that I have seen, is that usbdrv200.zip contains an updated MSD driver that can read/write windows format large floppy (larger than 2 GB) USB sticks (very limited testing, on my part). Eventually, that feature will work it's way into the AN package.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 08:57:48 am »
It is quite possible that all your problems come from the Trash Can.
Especially when you go to install any program you have to go to the trash can, propertis, and check ALWAYS DELETE inmediately.
And after this, install.
Yesterday I firefoxDD Drag & drop, failure installer  for this reason. Reinstalling, make sure the trash can, delete the old folder firefox, and all were problems.
It would be good that the new version would have on the trash can an automatic compression to zip files to, lost propertys in files. Because in reality the current paper is a Move, and that printers have lousy memories.
For now what I do is cancel the trashcan, if I remember.
Saludos