Author Topic: Unknown Disk2 has partition table error during install eCS2.2b2  (Read 11025 times)

marv7325

Unknown Disk2 has partition table error during install eCS2.2b2
« on: February 27, 2016, 10:07:03 am »
I have been attempting to install eCS2.2b2 on an ASUS EEE 1201N netbook with 4GB RAM and a 240GB SSD.
I have minimal changes for the setup - additional driver messages, boot from usb cdrom.
The install proceeds OK until the Disk Integrity Check (DIC) process.
I have removed all partitions on the SSD.
1st attempt the DIC showed both Disk2 and Disk3 (SSD) with partition errors so I requested they be fixed.
During the subsequent install attempts Disk2 (39MB) appears but not the SSD and this disk (I think it is the RAMdisk created during the install by startup.cmd to house the boot floppy images and pmshell.exe) persists to show partition table missing and I can't proceed beyond this point.
As a result I cannot partition the disk nor install eCS or Windows (I want a multi-boot system if possible).

Is there anyone who can help?
Greg

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Unknown Disk2 has partition table error during install eCS2.2b2
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 12:03:56 pm »
For a start SSDs are not the same as spinning rust drives although they have the same SATA interface and in doubt that Disk Integrity Check fixing knows what to do, or even how to interpret the results it gets.

How did you remove all the partitions on the SSD?

I think you now need to use DFSee on a bootable USB stick to try and make some sense of your SSD if it is not damaged beyond repair.

marv7325

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 03:20:15 am »
I removed the partitions using gparted initally.
I have since run dfsee and ensured there were no partitions left and have then repartitioned into 2 primary partitions and then confirmed that with gparted also.
So - I now have the SSD with 2 partitions created by dfsee.
I downloaded the iso again and created a new cd, booted and set the parameters, got to "Checking disk integrity" again and up comes disk2 (39MB). I am certain that this is the RAMdisk (drive Z:) NOT the SSD (which showed it's correct size first time around when it initially appeared in this list).
This happens regardless of which CD I boot from so that would appear to discount it being a cdrom/download/burning error (although a checksum for the iso would make it certain).
It seems that the install is able to distinguish between the SSD and the RAMdisk correctly but I cannot proceed further due to the install process ensuring that it terminates here in these circumstances and only allows a shutdown/reboot.
As a result of this I cannot get to any logfiles that may be produced either.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:38:08 am »
Hi Greg

Boot from the eCS Install CD and in the preboot menu deselect the Disk Integrity check.

If the Installer starts select Management Console rather than either Install option.

When the Management Console loads open a command window and run LVM. Is the SSD visible with the 2 partitions you created with DFSee?

Regards

Pete

marv7325

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 04:32:54 am »
Pete,
Did as you said and unfortunately no SSD  :(
Only the cdrom and RAMdisk show up - Disk2 (39MB ) is definitely the RAMdisk.
Does this mean no eCS for this machine now?

Greg

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 03:40:54 am »
Hi Greg

I tend to suspect that a setting, maybe several, needs changing in the BIOS.

1] OS/2 based systems cannot use GPT (UEFI standard) and must use MBR for the disk partitioning scheme

2] If the disk controller is set to AHCI mode then you need an AHCI driver installed to access the disk or set the SATA mode to IDE

If the above does not help you may want to send Sigurd a PM from here http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=105

Regards

Pete

marv7325

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 05:37:11 am »
Pete,
I have been able to move further into the install by selecting Legacy Hardware, but then when Phase 1 is completed and the system reboots for the rest...
I get :-
BIOS boot screen
Boot menu from CD
White Bar eCS at top left of screen (approx 1-2secs)
Blank screen (2-3 secs)
System reboots again

I think I've tried just about all the driver combinations except the default (which also seems to cause the partition error messages) and this is the furthest I've got so far.
I have confined myself to the drivers for the 2 controllers that show up during install and kept them both the same.
I have been able to partition and format (JFS) the SSD each time without any errors.

Can you think of anything else that may help?

Regards
Greg

BTW BIOS Disk controller only has IDE option and disk is defintely set for MBR.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:44:41 am by Greg Cooper »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 02:22:51 pm »
I think you will need the latest ACPI driver from the ArcaNoae website. Don't ask me how to replace the existing one in the installation CD. Maybe you need to install a tool under Windows and update the ISO file to contain the new ACPI driver.
Another option that I basically took was to install under an old PC (because I still had it when I bought the new one), update the installation with the latest drivers, rip out the disk and place it into the new PC.

There are an increasing number of systems that have highly broken BIOS code.
The reason is obvious: systems like >= Windows 7 or Linux make only very little use of the legacy BIOS, with a tendendy to move to UEFI only (that means: no more legacy BIOS at all).
With OS/2 you are stuck with a kernel that is > 20 years old. It therefore makes considerable use of the BIOS, especially (or even exclusively ?) on system start.
The latest ACPI driver works around many BIOS issues seen in today's hardware. If Blue Lion eventually releases an install CD you should consider using that instead of eComStation 2.2beta.

Lars

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 08:10:45 am »
HI Greg

Try the install again with Modern Hardware, ACPI mode and add the parameter /VW - this limits the number of IRQs to 16.

Regards

Pete

marv7325

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 06:54:29 am »
Pete
I will try that but will have to wait til next week when l'm out of hospital
Regards
Greg

marv7325

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 03:18:04 am »
I've had some more attempts at the ACPI installs using the /VW and /PIC options but just get a lot of SYS1719 errors and it eventually stalls.
I will see if I can get later drivers and try again if possible since I really do want this to work and get back to using OS/2 again and see what it can really do now.
Greg

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 04:17:17 am »
Hi Greg

SYS1719 errors are caused when statements in config.sys do not, apparently, contain a valid device or file system driver.

I say apparently as usually the SYS1719 is a bit misleading and the problem lies elsewhere.

I suspect that the problem is either ACPI or Video related as I have seen these errors myself and usually tweaking ACPI or selecting a different video driver gets around the problem. You may also want to try a different IDE driver or mode to see if that helps.

Regards

Pete

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 08:32:29 pm »
Hi Greg

Just been over some scribbled notes from an eCS2.2beta2 install on a Dell E5500 laptop which suffered this SYS1719 problem.

If I have deciphered my scrawl correctly I had to set the IDE driver to Dani, Compatibility Mode in order to get a successful installation. When the install was finished I changed the IDE driver line in config.sys back to "Performance Mode" ie BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /!BIOS and the laptop has been working fine using that line.

No idea why it causes a problem during the install though...

Regards

Pete

marv7325

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 12:23:42 pm »
Looks like it's going to prove very elusive.
Think I better wait and try beta3 or LION maybe.

Greg