Author Topic: Confirmed: Microsoft and Canonical Partner To Bring Ubuntu To Windows 10  (Read 7215 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Hi

I was just reading this news at Slashdot.
https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/03/30/1021224/confirmed-microsoft-and-canonical-partner-to-bring-ubuntu-to-windows-10

Poiting to this Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols article:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-and-canonical-partner-to-bring-ubuntu-to-windows-10/

Sure, it is nothing technically amazing, it is like running Linux over Windows like we have Win16 on OS/2. Or will it be something different? But it shows something strange with Microsoft behaviour as we used to know them.

Will it be the "Embrace, extend and extinguish" strategy all over again? or will this mark the end of Window as we know it?

It is kind of fun to speculate on this subject.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:54:27 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Pete

• View Profile
Hi Martin

I suspect it may be an M$ reaction to the number of people who initially "flirt" with linux and eventually move over to using linux entirely. I also gather Windows10 has not done as well as expected with users electing to stay with Win7/8 - or move to linux/Mac.

Giving Windows10 a linux "compatibility layer" could hit both above targets.

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
It appears that they have written a command interpreter to run some Linux text mode tools just as we have a DOS command interpreter to run some DOS programs in OS/2.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/30/bash_shell_comes_to_windows_10/ has a little more information.

Since they had the ability to run some simple OS/2 programs built into NT (which they didn't generally talk about) it is not surprising that they are doing this especially when they have ported their sql server over to Linux about a month ago.

ivan

• View Profile

RickCHodgin

Microsoft and Linux together?  Nothing good can come from this partnership.  It's a frightening move.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
 Years ago Microsoft helped with the development of Xenix and owned a significant part of SCO (Santa Cruz Operations). That was the last time Microsoft wrote a good compiler. It was clean and efficient. It seemed at the time Microsoft was trying to reign in SCO. After Xenix did not go very far Microsoft sold their portion and Xenix became SCO Unix. A complicated version of Unix. There were some other PC based Unix flavors but non caught on until a FREE Unix (clone) was available. Then the people who want software without paying all climbed on board. Linux has become a good replacement for Unix but still has some areas of weakness compared to Unix. When the first NT was developed by Microsoft/IBM it had a "unix" layer. I tried every part of that at the time. I had been a Unix programmer and tried to see what NT could actually do. I found it was only a few parts of the TCP stack and a few other pieces of the basic system. None of it actually worked as defined by doing what Unix did in the same areas. It looked like some programmers at Microsoft were just trying out some things which were not removed from the final product. So it seems Microsoft has gone full circle.