Author Topic: ES/2 open source OS/2 kernel  (Read 46268 times)

RickCHodgin

Re: Exodus/2 (ES/2)
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 09:41:44 pm »
I'm going to try some live coding sessions and see how they go.  I'm working on getting the microphone setup.  Please see the development blog for the URL.  It will appear at the top.  It's pretty boring, so just stop by and tell me if it's working. :-)

This session began at 3:35pm EDT on Sunday, July 3, 2016.

Development Blog

UPDATE:  The session went well.  I had three visitors that weren't immediate family members. :-)

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:40:42 am by Rick C. Hodgin »

RickCHodgin

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 07:14:49 pm »
Live coding again today.  Click the "live coding now" link to join in.  I can chat briefly if you have questions:

Development Blog

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 08:38:02 pm »
Just as a sidenote:
The screen sharing (join.me) works fine on Firefox OS/2, even the full-screen. But the audio  and video requires an special app.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 09:39:25 pm »
Live coding again today.  Click the "live coding now" link to join in.  I can chat briefly if you have questions:
Development Blog

It worked well.  I had posted that I would be live coding on this machine to the comp.lang.c group, and I had a total of four visitors at various times, excluding family. :-)

It slows down my development speed notably.  It may be because I'm on my laptop, but I'm guessing because it's compressing and broadcasting the video at the same time.  I may need to limit my live coding to when I'm not on a virtual machine, but when I'm on a real machine, and possibly only when I'm on my desktop machine.

We'll see.  It may not be something people are interested in.  Nonetheless, I enjoy the company. :-)

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

RickCHodgin

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 09:46:20 pm »
Just as a sidenote:
The screen sharing (join.me) works fine on Firefox OS/2, even the full-screen. But the audio  and video requires an special app.
Live-Join-Me.png (468.52 kB, 1444x944 - viewed 7 times.)
Regards

That's not very good quality of video there.  I can see there it was a snapshot when switching between the debugging and the development screens.  It gets fuzzy when it does that due to the large number of screen changes coupled to the video compression algorithm in trying to deal with the large number of changes over a short period of time.  After the screen switch it continues to redraw itself and in a few seconds comes back to good quality.

I believe you're in Ecuador, so I hope in normal debugging and development mode it looked better.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 10:00:52 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 11:05:15 pm »
Hi Rick.

It may be because I reduced the size of the screen to take the screenshot. When I was checking it on full  screen it was readable from here.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

RickCHodgin

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 11:44:27 pm »
It may be because I reduced the size of the screen to take the screenshot. When I was checking it on full  screen it was readable from here.

Possibly.  When I tested join.me I saw it was fuzzy on major screen changes, but during normal typing and so forth it was good.  It may also be because I'm on WiFi.  When I'm on the LAN it may be better.

I've also tested it using Microsoft's Edge browser on Xbox One, and it worked on there!  :o  I was amazed.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 11:50:09 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

RickCHodgin

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 11:48:11 pm »
All it takes is the lot of us working together and we can do this. :-)

I'm very excited about this project!

I've done some significant refactoring to make some of the fundamental libraries in the LibSF toolchain a little more generic, and, therefore, more robust.  Once everything's completed, they should provide a nice well-debugged set of tools for people to use for low-level file processing algorithms, including parsing keywords into a type of known language, as well as having a new OS/2 developer toolchain.

;) Here's to the future of OS/2 software!

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 11:52:11 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

RickCHodgin

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 11:01:04 pm »

I spent some time in GIMP dreaming today:

http://www.libsf.org/images/es2_slipstream.png

A reference to technology introduced on Stark Trek Voyager that's much faster than warp (and a YouTube video).

Adapted from IBM's OS/2 logo.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:56:50 am by Rick C. Hodgin »

RickCHodgin

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 01:30:57 am »

I spent some time in GIMP dreaming today:

And I considered a version that's more like DNA ... though it still needs some tweaking:

http://www.libsf.org/images/es2_slipstream_dna.png

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:57:09 am by Rick C. Hodgin »

RickCHodgin

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 03:23:31 pm »
These past few days I've taken a brief break to work on another real-world project in my garage.

Developer Blog

I plan to come back to my assembler tonight and to work on it continually, with periodic breaks where I alternate between the real-world project and my es/2 project.

Right now I plan to have the kernel booting and the bulk of the OS/2 API implemented in source code by January 1, 2017.  All of 2017 will be devoted to getting my simple C compiler created, and then all of those functions in the kernel working properly.  I already have a kernel debugger, and I have an IDE I've designed for another project.  Those will be integrated into my kernel to provide native facilities for handling forms and objects.

I could use help.  The door remains open to anyone willing to contribute.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

PS - My real-world project is SuperJet, an EFI replacement for Ford F-150 4.9L 300 I6 engines.  See also GitHub for all source code.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:57:33 am by Rick C. Hodgin »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 11:16:02 pm »
Hi Rick

I wish you the best with your projects, even the one with the F-150 which looks interesting :) 

I really hope you can eventually produce something that can work on the current OS/2 as an open source replacement of the old IBM close source code. For example if you manage to complete your kernel and some basic CPI API in a way you can "trick" OS/2's Presentation Manager to run over it (even if it is not completely stable on the first releases), that can be a good starting point to get more support or feedback from the community. Sure, a different kernel will break current OS/2 drivers compatibility, but in my opinion drivers come and go, CPI API and PM are the soul of OS/2 apps.

I think I told you before, my main concern is to have replacements that retains the compatibility with OS/2 (some exceptions may apply), so it can keep running OS/2 applications on it, instead of having a new OS/2 inspired OS that can not run OS/2 apps.

Regards.

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

RickCHodgin

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2016, 11:30:35 pm »
Hi Rick

I wish you the best with your projects, even the one with the F-150 which looks interesting :) 

I really hope you can eventually produce something that can work on the current OS/2 as an open source replacement of the old IBM close source code. For example if you manage to complete your kernel and some basic CPI API in a way you can "trick" OS/2's Presentation Manager to run over it (even if it is not completely stable on the first releases), that can be a good starting point to get more support or feedback from the community. Sure, a different kernel will break current OS/2 drivers compatibility, but in my opinion drivers come and go, CPI API and PM are the soul of OS/2 apps.

I think I told you before, my main concern is to have replacements that retains the compatibility with OS/2 (some exceptions may apply), so it can keep running OS/2 applications on it, instead of having a new OS/2 inspired OS that can not run OS/2 apps.

Regards.

My goal is to be almost fully API compatible (no Win16 support), but not binary compatible.  Nearly every OS/2 app that has source code could be recompiled with my C/C++ compiler, and run without change.  The rest would require tiny changes, and then recompile.

Binary compatibility would require reverse engineering some of the existing code base, and that's simply illegal.  If someone can get me permission from IBM to reverse engineer the portions of their binary code I'll need to do this, I'd be happy to also make it fully binary compatible.

However, my true goals are to have OS/2 live on in ES/2, which will provide everything outwardly that OS/2 originally had, with some evolution for modern OS, hardware, network, and UI features.  I think OS/2 is the best OS ever, and it deserves this devotion.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:39:29 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

RickCHodgin

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 11:43:12 pm »

I explicitly intend to write a complete replacement for OS/2 which is fully API compatible, and UI-identical, to the OS/2 PM, down to the full object model.

We'll see what happens though.  That is my plan ... but life is what goes on around you when you're busy making other plans, right? :-)

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2016, 12:11:17 am »
I explicitly intend to write a complete replacement for OS/2 which is fully API compatible, and UI-identical, to the OS/2 PM, down to the full object model.

It is always good to validate it :)

... but life is what goes on around you when you're busy making other plans, right? :-)

Yes, you never know.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster