Author Topic: Opening day - Comerica Park  (Read 10083 times)

arr531

Opening day - Comerica Park
« on: April 08, 2016, 06:54:50 pm »
Well since it does say "General Discussion". I am just excited that baseball is back and it is opening day at Comerica Park. Go Tigers!

adam

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
Re: Opening day - Comerica Park
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:52:46 am »
Well since it does say "General Discussion". I am just excited that baseball is back and it is opening day at Comerica Park. Go Tigers!

adam

Most of us are from Europe, baseball (or its predecessor) died out over here some 500+ years ago except in Finland and Estonia ....

arr531

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 01:40:55 am »
Well that's fine. Different strokes for different folks as the old cliche goes. I do respect the fact that others have different taste in sports. Soccer is big in Europe but I don't care for it myself but that's okay too.

adam

RickCHodgin

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 08:10:39 pm »
Well that's fine. Different strokes for different folks as the old cliche goes. I do respect the fact that others have different taste in sports. Soccer is big in Europe but I don't care for it myself but that's okay too.

I am also a baseball fan, though I don't watch many major or minor league games, but I do enjoy watching the highlights.  There's a YouTube channel called "BronxBomber42" that has some interesting highlight videos.

You might also check out Vintage Base Ball ("base ball" being two words).  They are a league in the U.S. which follows the 1860s rules before they had mits, using the older style onion peel balls.  It's not a very popular sport yet, so there are small crowds and only a dozen or so games per season for each team.

I am fortunate to live in Indianapolis, IN, where we have three teams within an hour's driving distance.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 05:07:04 pm »

adam
It's not a question of taste, unlike basketball that is actually played here a bit especially around the mediterranean basin and in the ex-communist states although very much a minority sport, and American Football that most people are at the least aware that it exists, there even used to be a few AF teams in the UK, baseball is a bit like handball is in the USA, no-one has literally heard of it except perhaps as a movie reference. I think the only countries that play baseball outside of the US are Cuba and Japan.

Let me put it another way, "Field of Dreams" was the move that made Kevin Costner famous in the USA, he did not become famous in the rest of the world until "Dances with Wolves".

The original baseball like game (name translates as "burning ball") was played with tool that is like a hybrid of a bat and racquet literally died out in the middle ages (except in the northern Baltics) as it was replaced by games that later became known Tennis, Badminton, Squash and Racket and hundreds of local variations that all offered a faster gameplay than brb. There are similar games played in small pockets in Iberia, but they are very much "traditional games", i.e. they are not played for sport but rather as tradition harking back to the middle ages and put on show during traditional holidays and so on and you would probably not recognise them as baseball.

Betting was also banned in all of the Protestant countries (i.e. Western Countries) except the USA and UK, which was one of the reason club sports did not really become big until the mid 20th century in most of those countries with the advent of TV, prior to that the most commercially viable sports were individual sports.

And Football (Soccer) is not just popular over here it is a bit like Formula 1, neither may be the most popular sport in its category in any given country but viewing figures and numbers of fans worldwide do not just trounce other motor and club sports, they are actually bigger than all the other club and motor sports combined. i.e. football gets more views on TV worldwide than all the other club sports put together, no matter what the type.

arr531

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 05:20:40 pm »
No offense but I think you turning this into something I didn't intend it to be. It was just my exuberance and excitement over opening day at Comerica Park. Not a debate on what sports are popular in the world and what is not. That debate is not important to me. I don't understand why people have to take posts in directions they were not intended to go. Can we just leave it at what the post was intended to be? Maybe I will just delete it.

adam

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 12:06:14 am »
If we're talking sports, let me mention Australian rules football. Interesting for everyone who likes a bit of friendly violence)

arr531

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 01:17:58 pm »
Actuaaly, no offense to anyone but the thread is not about sports in general. I was just mentioning my excitement about opening day at Comerica Park last Friday. If you guys want to talk sports in general, that is fine but please start your own thread about it.

adam

RickCHodgin

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 04:40:03 pm »
I was just mentioning my excitement about opening day at Comerica Park last Friday.

One of my Facebook friends, an avid baseball fan and long-time member of a local Vintage Base Ball team, posted a picture sometime this past winter when it was cold, snowy, miserable.

All it was was a baseball glove and a ball.  He was longing for Spring. :-)

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin