Poll

Keep topic open?

Keep topic Open
1 (100%)
Close the topic
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Thinkpad t61  (Read 17552 times)

Mario9501

Thinkpad t61
« on: April 14, 2016, 08:21:47 pm »
I am trying to install OS/2 warp 4.52 server version and it keeps failing to get to the message that says for me to input the install disk.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Thinkpad t61
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 08:51:55 pm »
Hi Mario.
Welcome to the forum. I'm a big fan of your work  ;)

You trying to install it with the two CDs, the Boot CD and Installation CD, right?

Is that the message that asks you to switch from the "Boot CD" to the "Installation CD"? or that message shows up after you changed the CD?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Mario9501

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 09:00:27 pm »
Yes. And it is during when the boot cd is loading. I never get to the prompt that tells me to insert the install disk

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 10:46:46 pm »
Hi

Is it stuck on the "OS/2 Warp Server for e-Busines Logo"?
You can try to send a "Alt+F2" when the little OS/2 square shows on the top left when it recently boots. Can you see if the boot procedure is stucking in some driver?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Mario9501

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 12:01:53 am »
It loads through until it reaches doscall1.DLL then crashes. Yes
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:03:43 am by Mario »

muffetta

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 06:45:58 am »
I am trying to install OS/2 warp 4.52 server version and it keeps failing to get to the message that says for me to input the install disk.
To install OS/2 warp 4.52 server version on new hardware you need to boot from a customized installation floppy disks set, since you need Daniela's EIDE/SATA driver instead of IBM ones:
http://ecsoft2.org/danielas-eidesata-driver
This is the reason why OS/2 is still alive and we are still here  ;).
Have a nice Warp!
I'll suggest you to try instead eComStation until the Blue Lion will be available.
Regards.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 06:48:11 am by Barbara »

karotlopj

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 03:46:30 pm »
I have had similar experiences and would be interested in knowing whether simply installing the DANI driver does the trick.

I thought it might have something to do with OS/2 being unable to handle a multiple core processor...

karotlopj

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 04:33:21 pm »
Just a quick update as I was interested to see if the DANI driver made any difference...

I already had a SATA disk with OS/2 installed on it and have been using it in the UltraBay of my ThinkPad T42, so it was easy enough to see if the DANI driver would enable my X61 to boot up. It never had before....

And....

I got a trap in DOSCALLS.DLL when booting.

Back to the drawing board.

muffetta

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 08:30:08 pm »
Just a quick...
And....

Perhaps by setting the disk controller in legacy mode and using, how can I say, maybe some alternative kernel? maybe you'll be luckier  ;) !!
Anyway, you will need also the ahci driver to fully enjoy the hard disk speed.
Again, have a nice Warp!
Regards

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 08:53:47 pm »
Likely needs ACPI.PSD to control the hardware.
There is the alternative made in Russia Kernel etc

karotlopj

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 08:55:29 pm »
Speeding up the disk is something I could tackle later, first I'd like to be able too boot.

What kernel options are there? I'm currently running the one from WSeB CP2 dated 08/03/02 (DD/MM/YY)...

Maybe I should try and install the SMP version...

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 09:35:42 pm »
Just a quick update as I was interested to see if the DANI driver made any difference...

I already had a SATA disk with OS/2 installed on it and have been using it in the UltraBay of my ThinkPad T42, so it was easy enough to see if the DANI driver would enable my X61 to boot up. It never had before....

And....

WHile you will most likely need the Danis506.add to boot the system. You might need to remove memory from to laptop. I remember there where two versions of MCP 4.52.

One 4.52 and a 4.52 refresh. The main reason I think this refresh was created was because of a bug. If you have an X amount of gigabyte of RAM installed you get this crash in DOSCALL1.DLL.  Hence my suggestion to see if you can reduce the amount of RAM. I think you need to have 512 MB installed. But I could be wrong this is all from memory and it was more then 10 years ago that I read about this :-)

See posting #4 http://fixunix.com/os2/45251-installing-os-2-thinkpad-t42p.html.

Or you need to find fixpak 5 for MCP 2 and put a new DOSCALL1.DLL on the boot floppy with the OS2LDR (and heck why not replace the kernel).

Roderick

karotlopj

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 03:08:39 pm »
I got my X61 booting eventually by installing the latest SMP kernel and loader along with DOSCALLS.DLL and ASPI.PSD which came from the ARCA NOAE Aspi package.

The problem now is that I can boot, but can't connect anywhere as I can't find a suitable NIC.

Mario9501

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 02:29:24 am »
ok so I am trying to install it on a hp Compaq dc5700 with 512MB of ram. And it keeps getting stuck at screen01.sys

karotlopj

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 10:11:11 am »
Which kernel are you using?

I'm no expert with these things, I just managed to get it installed on a multicore laptop for the first time a few days ago.

Having said that, I didn't actually install OS/2 on that laptop, I installed it on a disk in an older laptop, then updated a few files, inserted the disk in the X61 and it booted up successfully.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:14:49 am by JohnP »