Author Topic: OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk  (Read 8553 times)

karotlopj

OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:51:20 am »
I did an xcopy of a working OS/2 installation from a JFS partition on one disk to a newly formatted JFS partition on another disk, re-assigned drive letter via LVM and tried to boot from the new partition and get

OS/2 in unable to operate your hard disk.

The working installation is on a SATA disk and the other is IDE. Would that make a difference?

What could be causing the error? And how can I debug the problem?

Lars

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 01:27:27 pm »
Unfortunately that will not work that easily.You will also need to change each and every directory path to fix drive letters in config.sys and also in os2.ini and os2sys.ini as well as in any other configuration file you can think of.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 02:39:28 pm »

Your ace transferred the system, after copy?
Run C:\OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK\SYSINSTX.COM X:
Saludos

karotlopj

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 05:11:51 pm »
Unfortunately that will not work that easily.You will also need to change each and every directory path to fix drive letters in config.sys and also in os2.ini and os2sys.ini as well as in any other configuration file you can think of.

That isn't quite right. The xcopy copies all the files from the C: partition on one disk to a partition on another disk. I use LVM to assign C: on the second disk so all the drive letters should remain unchanged, as far as I can tell.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 06:41:17 pm »
I did an xcopy of a working OS/2 installation from a JFS partition on one disk to a newly formatted JFS partition on another disk, re-assigned drive letter via LVM and tried to boot from the new partition and get

The working installation is on a SATA disk and the other is IDE. Would that make a difference?

Use zip or zipboot (works everytime, not rar) - no need for SYSINSTX.COM X: !

http://os2notes.net/os2backups.html

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 08:14:31 pm »

if your SATA disk is served by OS2AHCI.ADD   it will not work with IDE disk

karotlopj

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 03:18:54 pm »
I don't have a OS2AHCI.ADD...

I think the problem is due to there being two disks both with the same drive letters assigned so that config.sys gets totally confused.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 12:09:32 am »

I think the problem is due to there being two disks both with the same drive letters assigned so that config.sys gets totally confused.

What are you trying to actually do and what is the disk layout ?

A lot of your questions need more detail.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 06:02:20 am »

I don't think you can have 2 active partitions with the same drive letter. One will be disabled.
I've moved my Warp v4 partition many times, took careful planning before LVM and is pretty simple since.
Need to boot from an alternative install so nothing is locked and then just used xcopy /h /o /t s/ /e /r /v x:\* y:\ and then change drive letters (of swap disk 1 and disk 2 pre-LVM). Once or twice I needed sysinstx but it was rare.
I doubt that you can move an active partition as some files won't get copied so you need a maintenance partition/livecd or such to do the copying and it should just work.
Of course you do have to use OS/2 aware tools to do the partitioning.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 10:49:08 am »
I doubt that you can move an active partition as some files won't get copied so you need a maintenance partition/livecd or such to do the copying and it should just work.
I think it works as long you do not have HPFS386 running (net.acc would not be copied, could be worked around though).

The os2.ini and os2sys.ini files are copied but at the state at boot up. When running OS/2 stores new infomation in the xxx.!!! files which are copied to xxx.ini at shutdown.

There maybe some log files which can't be copied as they are open. But if you've managed to keep your data separate from your boot drive (%HOME% on another partitions) and don't care for latest ini changes it's save to copy even a running system.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 11:02:26 am »
I believe the best way and easiest way is to zip the boot partition (running or not), plus you get a backup.

Just format the new partition and unzip, no need for  SYSINSTX.COM.