Author Topic: Firefox & temporary files (etilsq_*)  (Read 6691 times)

karotlopj

Firefox & temporary files (etilsq_*)
« on: May 26, 2016, 03:10:51 pm »
I have a large number of files with a filename in the form etilqs_*.

I assume they are temporary files created by Firefox (38.2.1).

How should I clean them up?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Firefox & temporary files (etilsq_*)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 04:30:22 pm »

I have exactly zero files with the name etilqs_* or etilsq_* (which is it?), so it is unlikely that they have anything to do with Firefox. What directory are they in?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 04:37:47 pm »

Just delete them, preferably with FF closed otherwise some may be locked. They seem to be sqlite3 temporary files and really Mozilla should  clean them up when closed.
Ideally is a script to clean %TMP% when booting up or what I did is have %TMP% on a ramfs.ifs volume.
Have to think about opening an issue as sqlite doesn't seem to properly close anymore.

DR34264

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 04:06:10 pm »
The files are from qupzilla

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 07:23:32 pm »
Actually there is a libc API for creating randomly named temporary files which I forget the name of so quite a few programs might output them. eg with SeaMonkey and Thunderbird running here,
Code: [Select]
R:\tmp>file etilqs_YFmWMoHUZoAp9ephW8Hx
etilqs_YFmWMoHUZoAp9ephW8Hx: SQLite 3.x database

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 07:59:52 pm »
Just delete them, preferably with FF closed otherwise some may be locked. They seem to be sqlite3 temporary files and really Mozilla should  clean them up when closed.
Ideally is a script to clean %TMP% when booting up or what I did is have %TMP% on a ramfs.ifs volume.

Okay, that explains why I didn't find any. I use the PAE Ramdisk from the QSINIT package for %TEMP%, and it, of course, gets wiped clean at every boot.

The %TEMP%, %TMP% and %TEMPDIR% entries in CONFIG.SYS usually point to the same place, and that location should contain only currently open temporary files. Programs are supposed to clean up after themselves, but there are a number of reasons why they don't. As noted, a user should take steps to clean that out, on a regular schedule (at each boot is good).

I have heard of people who use the %TEMP% directory as temporary file storage, and that is a very BAD idea.

There are a couple of other places where files collect. SAMBA leaves log files in C:\MPTN\ETC\samba\log\Archive and C:\MPTN\ETC\SmbBackup, forever. You may want to keep a few of the latest ones, in case you need them, but hundreds of them are a bit much.