Author Topic: Testing YouTube Live  (Read 16401 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Testing YouTube Live
« on: September 28, 2016, 07:06:21 pm »
Hi

I require your help to test something since I'm planning to go to Warpstock 2016 to live stream it.

On the past (Warptock 2015) I had tested YouTube Live Streaming on VLC without any major problem, but on these days I'm having some issues and I need to know if it is my OS/2 configuration or if something changed on YouTube.

I would appreciate feedback on the following:

A) Grab an Live URL from YouTube, check that it says "LIVE NOW":  https://www.youtube.com/live

1) Test: Firefox 38.8.0 for OS/2 Beta 7 without Flash. Result: Not working. (please validate)
2) Test: Firefox 38.8.0 for OS/2 Beta 7 with Flash. Result: ??
3) Test: VLC 2.2.4 . Result: ??
4) Test: SMPlayer 16.8.0 (MPlayer 1.3.0-4.9.2 ?). Result: ??
5) Any other ideas on OS/2 ?

I will also be testing this.

Regards

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:15:44 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Testing YouTube Live
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 01:48:12 pm »
3) Test: VLC 2.2.4

I'm not sure if it is my VLC installation, but I have some issues with YouTube Live. When I access the live URL, it asks me to accepts the certificates, I accept it all and after that it shows me an static image of the stream. I'm not sure if I'm missing a library or that is something that happens to every OS/2 user.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:34:58 pm »
Happens here too. SMplayer works though.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 09:49:36 pm »
Thanks Guzzi.

I will check again the SMPlayer instructions to make it work, it seems that I'm doing something wrong since it can not connect to any YouTube URL yet.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 01:52:40 am »
You might try from the menu: help>update youtube code

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 07:25:32 pm »
Hi Guzzi.

I tried with SMPlayer (even help>update youtube code)  and I can not see any stream from YouTube Live https://www.youtube.com/live
In fact I can not even see the "Recorded videos" from YouTube. So I'm guessing I missing something on SMPlayer.

Please, if somebody can see anything live from YouTube Live in OS/2, let me know.
Just be sure that you are looking at live streaming content and not recorded content. Check: https://www.youtube.com/live

Regards

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 04:25:00 am »
Using SMPlayer, I can play streams like Kitten Academy Live Stream. For about five seconds. Then it stops. If I hit play, I get five seconds more, then it stops.

Version 16.8.0
mplayer SVN r37450
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 05:36:13 pm »
Hi Neil.

I can not connect to YouTube or Youtube Live with SMPlayer. I installed according the instrucctions and added that codec package that is suggested on the readme.

Did you made any additional trick to make it work (at least for 5 minutes) ?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 10:43:00 pm »
Hi Martin!

I've done some testing related to YouTube Live, and the only application I've got that that I've been able to use to play YouTube Live continuously is SeaMonkey v2.35 B7 with the Flash 0.4.1 GA plug-In installed. Was watching LIVE a Memorial service for a late premier of Alberta who died tragically in a plane crash two weeks ago, for about 3/4 of an hour this morning, no problems.

For the other alternatives:

Firefox 38.8.0 does not work without Flash installed (get "your browser does not recognize any of the current video formats available"
(It is unclear as to how to install Flash in the OS/2 version - would be more than happy to test,  if someone can let me know how to do it, as it does not seem to recognize the Flash installed,  just an "OpenH264 codec"?)

SMPlayer 16.8.0 gives the same experience as Neil indicated - I need to use "kai (dart) mode under AUDIO for sound, even though I am using Uniaud on the partition, and typically use kva (Fast) for VIDEO. I also tried increasing the "Cache for Streams" under PERFORMANCE but it didn't help. You have to fully put in the complete URL for the specific live stream you want to view, to get SMplayer to find it (ie can't just go to YouTube Live and choose a video, at least as I've found

VLC/2 v2.2.4 has been wonky since installation with just videos, hard locking the system sometimes after playing them. requiring reboot so I've never had much luck with it - and don't think it would be any different for live streams.

Just my two cents worth - I was going to have a look on the SMplayer site, to see if they've encounter the "5 second rule" for live streaming. on other systems, and if there is a work around.

Best, Sir!

Mark

Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 10:58:59 pm »
Reading on-line about SMPlayer and YouTube Live Streaming, I found the following at http://blog.smplayer.info/how-to-play-youtube-live-streams-with-smplayer/

"It’s also necessary to use SMPlayer with mpv, since MPlayer doesn’t seem to support very well live streams from YouTube. Visit http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/mpv.php to find out how to install SMPlayer with mpv"

So I guess, unless we start using SMPlayer as a front end for a OS2 / eCS / ArcaNoae version of MPV instead of MPlayer, we're out of luck

Best!

Mark
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 11:40:15 pm »
Unluckily IIRC MPV (which is a MPlayer fork) has a hard requirement for 3D acceleration, OpenGL in our case, so it won't be ported.
As for Firefox working with Flash. If you are using the recommended set MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH  it should just work. Check in add-ons that it isn't disabled.
Do you have the requirements for H264 video installed? You need to install the ffmpeg libs with yum or download libav from my bitbucket page and put the DLLs on your LIBPATH. This true for Firefox as well as SeaMonkey. See README.OS2

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 04:19:28 pm »
Thanks Dave,
I install  ffmpeg libs with YouTube ALL HTML5 3-0-3 (add-ons ) and play very well in Firefox, only I do not have sound.
saludos
roberto

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 05:38:27 pm »
Hi

I checked again SMPlayer, reviewed MPlayer, doubled checked the CODECS installed on MPlayer folder and the config.sys, but I can not make run any YouTube video (Live or not). It just says it can not connect.

Roberto, can you please explain a little bit what you did with ffmpeg libs and firefox so you can view YouTube Live (even if it was without sound).

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 05:49:25 pm »
The correct FFmpeg libs (from ver 2.8, which is what Bitwise has an RPM of) just have to be in LIBPATH so Firefox can find them.
As for sound, it is usually a volume issue. Simplest is to download PMUniMix and play with the various volumes. Often it is the front speakers that need turned up.
You can also do SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART to use dart mode instead of uniaud mode.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 06:53:29 pm »
Hello Martin,
I only install in Firefox 38.8.0 with Tools--Add-ons--- this extensions :
You Tube ALL HTML5 3.0.3 (I understand that only need this)
QuickJava 2.0.6.1-signed (all options OFF)
Tiny Javascript debugger 1.1.5
And install the pack that Dave coment with anpm the pack FFmpeg

Hello Dave
I test for the sound problems with the 2 options in config.sys,
rem SET KAI_AUTOMODE=UNIAUD (sound very bad but any sound in it)
SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART (sound better, but if move the usb mouse the sound cut off on off on,if stop the mouse the sound is ok )
I am run with the last arca usb11.14, i do not test the Lars usb drivers by now, but this is the moment.
For control the volum I use the program  PMUnimix V0.80 , in the firefox is the same if turn on off more or less.
Saludos
Roberto
Roberto