Author Topic: Lightning (SM/TB)  (Read 574 times)

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 6
    • View Profile
Lightning (SM/TB)
« on: April 06, 2017, 02:54:10 am »
To change the language (of mainly the UI) of Lightning v4.0.8, is overwriting files in the directories (and subdirectories) of both CALENDAR.DTD and LIGHTNING.DTD all it takes, or is there more to it?

So far it seems to work under an unchanged EN-US parent directory, by using a translated Win32 v4.0.8 source distribution.

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 76
    • View Profile
Re: Lightning (SM/TB)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 04:32:00 am »
No, you should replace both chrome\calendar-en-US and chrome\lightning-en-US directories with the ones from the Win32 v4.0.8 XPI (unzip to access) in your preferred language and then edit {e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}\chrome.manifest replacing en-US with your new locale, perhaps look in the Win32 XPI for the exact syntax, basically the lines starting with locale
Might be line wrap above and this is in your profile (backup before experimenting) with TB/SM closed IIRC, otherwise it is editing the OS/2 XPI as above and then installing it.

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 10:48:27 am »
edit {e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}\chrome.manifest replacing en-US with your new locale

FYI, I haven't removed any en_US settings of the distributed en_US SeaMonkey, and then it seems to work without editing chrome.manifest and by using the en-US directories. Seems: my number of appointments is one, so I'm not a power user of calendar apps. Nevertheless I'll compose a new and improved xx_XX XPI file.

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 05:43:56 pm »
Installing the extension twice didn't seem to work, so I've used a restored profile which uses the original  en_US in names of the path and contains translated files in the directories of CALENDER.DTD and LIGHTNING.DTD files. So, without a modified XPI file and without having removed the UI language en_US:

1. Download and install Lightning/2, including a restart of SM/TB
2. Download and unzip a matching, translated Win32 release (*DE* instead of *en_US*, for example)

3. Go to the directory of Win32's CALENDAR.DTD file
4. ZIP -r CA.ZIP * (LZH, for example, may or will fail)
5. Go to the directory of Win32's LIGHTNING.DTD file
6. ZIP -r LI.ZIP *

7. UNZIP CA.ZIP in the directory (long, mentioned above) where OS/2's CALENDER.DTD file is installed, overwriting files
8. UNZIP LI.ZIP in the directory (long, mentioned above) where OS/2's LIGHTNING.DTD file is installed, overwriting files

I guess en_US is no problem as long as it matches the file CHROME.MANIFEST, and/or it doesn't know that "Schadenfreude" actually is DE instead of en_US. If you haven't installed Lightning yet, then creating a new OS/2 XPI, mentioned earlier in this thread, is probably a better option. Do not forget to create a profile backup. You may need it.

The original functionality isn't that clear, but it allows SM/TB to e.g. understand Microsoft Lookout appointments, and you probably can download an internet's ICS file which could contain ArcaOS-related events, and so on.

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 76
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 04:15:52 am »
Generally Lightning seems to need to be uninstalled before installing a different version (noticeable if replacing SM's lightning with TB's lightning) and it seems, a different language. Probably a subtle bug somewhere.
Did you try just changing calendar-en-US and lighting-en-US and updating the manifest file in your profile? Seems to me that just updating the dtd files won't update all the UI
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 04:17:28 am by Dave Yeo »