Author Topic: IBM Redbook - Warp 4 CID Rapid Deployment Tools  (Read 7730 times)

karotlopj

IBM Redbook - Warp 4 CID Rapid Deployment Tools
« on: June 17, 2017, 01:26:26 pm »
Last year I found a PDF of IBM's Redbook - Warp 4 CID Rapid Deployment Tools but can't seem to find it now.

Anyone know where to look?

ak120

Re: IBM Redbook - Warp 4 CID Rapid Deployment Tools
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 01:40:08 pm »

karotlopj

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 02:33:13 pm »
You can try this one: http://web.archive.org/web/20050502175307/http://www.redbooks.ibm.com:80/redbooks/pdfs/sg242012.pdf

If you also need redbook SG24-2010 or other related stuff I prepared a small list:
http://blog.warpserver.de/buecher/ibm-redbooks/ibm-redbooks-1998/

Many thanks, Andreas. You've created a goldmine there! I was actually looking for The OS/2 Warp 4 CID Software Distribution Guide but couldn't remember the name. I'm trying to do an unattended install by running seinst from the Warp CP2 CD - not sure it will work...

karotlopj

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 03:39:57 pm »
You can try this one: http://web.archive.org/web/20050502175307/http://www.redbooks.ibm.com:80/redbooks/pdfs/sg242012.pdf

If you also need redbook SG24-2010 or other related stuff I prepared a small list:
http://blog.warpserver.de/buecher/ibm-redbooks/ibm-redbooks-1998/

Many thanks, Andreas. You've created a goldmine there! I was actually looking for The OS/2 Warp 4 CID Software Distribution Guide but couldn't remember the name. I'm trying to do an unattended install by running seinst from the Warp CP2 CD - not sure it will work...

Actually that should have been semaint and it did work - needs a little refining though..

ak120

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 12:31:40 am »
Actually that should have been semaint and it did work - needs a little refining though..

Migrating to OS/2 Warp Server for e-business (SG24-5135-00) has add some additional information in chapter 5 that could be useful when using SRVIFS approach also for pristine installations. The network redirection is nowadays the most convenient way to install every OS/2 version starting with Warp Connect (beyond bare metal recovery solutions to identical hardware). For a small bunch of systems it may sound too time-consuming regarding the preparation. But this approach will pay off when dealing with dozens of virtual machines or you have to create emergency plans and procedures - I know it's a boring topic.

I don't know of your network infrastructure, but we keep at most sites OS/2 Warp Server with RIPL service to help with critical system administration tasks for Intel-based servers. Using a DOS RIPL requester via a dedicated network adapter can deliver any diskette (image) to a machine without a floppy drive. And it works for firmware updates of the system BIOS or RAID controllers. For Thinkpads a docking station with a RIPL-capable network adapter is a real time saver. Only one machine definition is needed for the DOS RIPL requester which contains only tools to create a small FAT partition a copies the required device driver files on it. Alternatively it's also possible to write prepared images.  Perhaps somebody remembers IBM's LCCM which had much more capabilities and integration features?
Of course this step is not required if your OS/2 system installation is also performed via RIPL or PXE (without any local installation media) which should automatically include the NDIS drivers via response files or a similar mechanism. Profound knowledge in this area is not limited to OS/2-based installations, the same concepts are used for high-availability or redundant solutions using Windows Servers.

karotlopj

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 03:52:17 pm »

Migrating to OS/2 Warp Server for e-business (SG24-5135-00) has add some additional information in chapter 5 that could be useful when using SRVIFS approach also for pristine installations. The network redirection is nowadays the most convenient way to install every OS/2 version starting with Warp Connect (beyond bare metal recovery solutions to identical hardware). For a small bunch of systems it may sound too time-consuming regarding the preparation. But this approach will pay off when dealing with dozens of virtual machines or you have to create emergency plans and procedures - I know it's a boring topic.

I don't know of your network infrastructure, but we keep at most sites OS/2 Warp Server with RIPL service to help with critical system administration tasks for Intel-based servers. Using a DOS RIPL requester via a dedicated network adapter can deliver any diskette (image) to a machine without a floppy drive. And it works for firmware updates of the system BIOS or RAID controllers. For Thinkpads a docking station with a RIPL-capable network adapter is a real time saver. Only one machine definition is needed for the DOS RIPL requester which contains only tools to create a small FAT partition a copies the required device driver files on it. Alternatively it's also possible to write prepared images.  Perhaps somebody remembers IBM's LCCM which had much more capabilities and integration features?
Of course this step is not required if your OS/2 system installation is also performed via RIPL or PXE (without any local installation media) which should automatically include the NDIS drivers via response files or a similar mechanism. Profound knowledge in this area is not limited to OS/2-based installations, the same concepts are used for high-availability or redundant solutions using Windows Servers.

Hi Andreas,

I am familiar with RIPL and SRVIFS. In fact I set up my first RIPL server 20 years ago, but have forgotten much of what I knew. Also, in those days everything was Token Ring, and I've never worked out how to RIPL a ThinkPad using an Ethernet NIC. I do have PXE set up so am familiar with remote booting and generally when I have some problem with a disk, my first attempt to solve it is to remote boot Arch Linux. Also I've been unable to get SRVIFS working again. There are now so many options and I believe it can be configured over TCP/IP..

Hopefully I'll get my server configured and running in the next couple of days,

Incidentally, did you ever try/have success with?

http://www.edm2.com/index.php/DHCP/PXE_Boot_of_Diskless_OS/2_Machines_From_OS/2_Warp_and_eComStation

ak120

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 06:40:51 pm »
I am familiar with RIPL and SRVIFS. In fact I set up my first RIPL server 20 years ago, but have forgotten much of what I knew. Also, in those days everything was Token Ring, and I've never worked out how to RIPL a ThinkPad using an Ethernet NIC.
That's the reason for an additional adapter inside the docking station. It also works with Ethernet, but here you need good switches and a proper network design to achieve acceptable performance. IBM manufactured NICs can use RPL or PXE firmware for remote boot.

I do have PXE set up so am familiar with remote booting and generally when I have some problem with a disk, my first attempt to solve it is to remote boot Arch Linux. Also I've been unable to get SRVIFS working again. There are now so many options and I believe it can be configured over TCP/IP.

The PXE route means not directly TCP/IP. You can get the CD-ROM image of redbook SG24-5280 (Beyond DHCP...) here:
ftp://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG245280/5280cd.zip
It also includes SRVIFS-IP.

Incidentally, did you ever try/have success with?

http://www.edm2.com/index.php/DHCP/PXE_Boot_of_Diskless_OS/2_Machines_From_OS/2_Warp_and_eComStation

The instructions there are quite strange. IMO more and better information was already shipped with WSEB or in some of the redbooks for WorkSpace On-Demand.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:48:25 pm by Andreas Kohl »

karotlopj

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 11:33:03 am »
The instructions there are quite strange. IMO more and better information was already shipped with WSEB or in some of the redbooks for WorkSpace On-Demand.

I have read through the book quite a few times but never managed to set things up for one reason or another. One thing which really annoys me is the use of Java programs for configuring the system, plus I forgot the administrators password and don't know how to reset it. As for WSOD, I attended a course for it, but have never set it up. I tried last year, but I believe you need to enter some license information to be able to install it.

As for TFTP booting OS/2, am I right in thinking that any TFTP server should be able to provide the client bootfile. My FreeBSD based TFTP server works well with PXE.. Maybe I could try booting OS/2, but am not sure which bootfile is used..

ak120

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 01:56:02 pm »
As for TFTP booting OS/2, am I right in thinking that any TFTP server should be able to provide the client bootfile.
The easy answer is "no". But by using atftpd or tftpd-hpa in combination with some other tools it's not impossible.

My FreeBSD based TFTP server works well with PXE.. Maybe I could try booting OS/2, but am not sure which bootfile is used..
I don't know which of the many BSD derived tftp daemons is used there. Maybe you should start a new thread on this topic 'cause it's no longer related to Warp 4 or CID at all.