Author Topic: How to use 4G connection through HUAWEI USB connected ?  (Read 751 times)

Remy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • View Profile
How to use 4G connection through HUAWEI USB connected ?
« on: June 30, 2017, 12:22:29 pm »
Hi !
I have a HUAWEI E5776 ( 4G ) which has an USB plug.
I would like connect to internet through USB connected to this device like I could use from under win7.
The VID=12D1 and PID=1506

My PC has no WIFI ( so, the E5776 included wifi is not usable from my desktop PC )

Any idea about how to have it working ?
Thanks
Remy

Valery Sedletski

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
    • View Profile
Re: How to use 4G connection through HUAWEI USB connected ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 06:54:06 pm »
2Remy: Huawei 3g/4g modems generally work well under OS/2. You need USBCOM driver (with possibly, added VID/PID pair, to the list of known IDs), probably my build of it (I can give itto you, if needed. It contains a USB 2.0 support patch + Prolific pl2303 support patch, both are on Hobbes). You need to switch off the "ZeroCD" mode and enable "modem+microSD card" mode (either, with usbmodeswitch (available on Hobbes too), or permanently enable "modem+miroSD card" mode with AT commands). Note that VID=12d1 and PID=1506 are ID's in modem mode. In "ZeroCD" mode, PID is another. I use another Huawei 4G modem and two older Huawei 3G modems fine, with these hints. Please note that most AT commands are disabled in firmwares from different Cellular operators. So, you'll need to unlock the modem first from your cellular operator (see unlockers sites on the internet). Also note, that in newer 4G modems, there are two types of operation (two different types of firmwares), "HiLink" and "Stick", which are principally different. In HiLink mode, the modem operates as a network card. You give a special AT command to switch the NIC on, and use a USB Ethernet card driver + a DHCP client, to get an IP address from provider. But note that OS/2 usbethr.os2 driver does not work with the emulated NIC. In Stick mode, you just commect to a USBCOM comport with a PPP client (I use SFLinks from moveton under OS/2. AFAICS, InJoy does not work, as it cannot work without a CD and TR signals. USB 3G/4G modems use 3-wire COM port without these signals). So, you need to burn a "Stick" firmware. Note that speeds > 20 MB/s with 4G modems require a "HiLink" firmware, which does not work atm in OS/2.

Valery Sedletski

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 07:11:20 pm »
PS: I doubt the card has wifi. It is a feature of Huawei dashboard to switch between a wifi and a 4G network. The wifi is used if your PC has a separate wifi card. And 4G card has not a built-in wifi. Also note that OS/2 does not support USB wifi cards atm. GenMac supports PCI or PCI-x wifi cards only.

John Poltorak

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 10:11:43 pm »
I have a HUAWEI E3372 4G/LTE modem... How can I get it working under OS/2? Is it possible to configure it as a NIC?

Valery Sedletski

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 11:27:29 pm »
2John Poltorak: There are models with two principially different hardware, E3372s and E3372h. I have E3372h and it works under OS/2. Please see modem unlockers sites for that model. They describe the exact procedure of unlocking and flashing the hardware. (I don't know which one do you have, they differ in its Serial numbers pattern). Both were unlockable at the moment I bought it. Note that only Stick mode (with a COM port) should work under OS/2, because Hi-link ones need a working USB ethernet driver. I was unable to use the OS/2 usbethr.os2 driver with any modem models so far.

John Poltorak

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 05:21:09 am »
2 Valery Sedletski: The modem is unlocked. It comes with an embedded Windows application called Mobile Partner which showed me that it worked in NDIS mode...I guess that program would tell me which model I have. It's actually marketed as a MegaFon M150-2 and it has some Russian writing on the inside cover.

There is also a Linux version of the software included, but I thinkk that needs to be compiled...

Valery Sedletski

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 06:11:16 am »
2John Poltorak: Megafon M150-2 is rebranded Huawei E3372. They can be both E3372s or E3372h. You need to look at the serial number under the cover. I don't remember which serial number is which model. You can look on unlocker's sites for that model. Linux version is a Java app. It has some native Linux code used to access Linux platform (it is called JNI -- Java Native Interface -- it seems). Without these native codes it will not work on other platforms, like OS/2.

PS: My model is the same, and it is E3372h.

John Poltorak

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 06:33:12 am »
2 Valery Sedletski: S/N:  G4PDW 158 17000240

John Poltorak

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 11:53:31 pm »
2John Poltorak: You can look on unlocker's sites for that model.

PS: My model is the same, and it is E3372h.

I have no idea what the '"unlocker's sites" are. My modem is unlocked. How do I find which E3372 I have?

Valery Sedletski

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 06:10:18 pm »
2John Poltorak: Google with query "huawei e3372 unlock" and you will find a lot of unlockers sites. For russian sites, you can use google translate. Modems with serial numbers beginning with "G4P" are e3372h.  Those with serials beginning with "L8F" are e3372s. So, it looks that yours is E3372h (like mine, so, it should work in OS/2 in "Stick" mode, if you will do everything right). So, you need to flash the "Stick" firmware to use it under OS/2. I use SFLinks as a PPP dialer under OS/2. Also, you need to turn off ZeroCD (enable only modem+microSD),with  command:

at^setport=ff;10,12,16,5,A,A1,A2

This sets features to be enabled: "ff" means "none" (by default, A1 and A2 is enabled, which means ZeroCD and microSD, correspondingly). The items listed before semicolon are items before modeswitch. Items after semicolon are those enabled after modeswitch. (The modem has two modes of operation (two configurations), which are flipped by modem software under windows and by usb_modeswitch utility for OS/2 or Linux. But you can just disable A1 and A2 in the initial configuration byu setting it to ff, then no modeswitch will be needed). So, here modeswitch is disabled (ff) and the modem has the 2nd configuration enabled initially, when modem is powered on. "10" means a PPP port (modem). "12" is AT port for setting up NDIS connections (PCUI). "16" is NDIS (network card). "5" is Linux console (A-shell). "A" is VxWorks console (C-shell). "A1" is USB CDROM with drivers (ZeroCD). "A2" is microSD card. So, in this configuration, under Linux I see four USB COM ports ttyUSB0..ttyUSB3. Under OS/2, you will see the very first COM port. So, you need to boot Linux or Windows first, start a terminal emulator (minicom or picocom under Linux or Putty or Hyperterminal under windows), open a com port and enter the command: at^setport=ff;10,12,16,5,A,A1,A2. This will enable most features, but disable ZeroCD. After you insert it into OS/2, USBCOM.SYS should mount a USB COM port. You can check this COM port with "mode COM6" command (if your USB COM port is COM6). Then set up your PPP dialer (Init string should be like this: AT+CDGCONT=1,"IP","your.access.point"). The dial command should be like this: ATD*99***1#. So, you dial this number, the dialer should connect to your GPRS/EDGE/3G/4G modem PPP stack, and the modem connects to your ISP. It receives an IP via PPP and all should work like if you are using dialup.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:50:20 pm by Valery Sedletski »