Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.0 on a Dell Latitude D610  (Read 343 times)

Vanzeveren François

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
ArcaOS 5.0 on a Dell Latitude D610
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:09:00 am »
Hi everybody

Yesterday, I successfully installed ArcaOS 5 on my Dell Latitude D610.
Well, successfully... not so much!

First, during the installation process, the installer asks for the keyboard layout. By default, it is set to US. I selected "Belgian"... but it had no effect on the keyboard layout: type 'a' on my keyboard lead to a 'q' on the screen... But OK, this is not an issue during the installation process.
When it came to select the regionals, I opted for 850/852 (latin 1 and latin2).
I left for later the coinfiguration of my ethernet card.

The installation ran smoothly.

When the machine boots, the boot process stops with the following message :
OS2AHCI: couldn't determine MMIO base address
SYS1196: The parameter "852" on line 41 of the CONFIG.SYS file is not acceptable for the CODEPAGE statement. Line 41 is ignored.
Press Enter toncontinue...

Once booted, the keyboard is set to US. I can change it to Belgian, but this change is not persisted after reboot. Everytime I boot the machine I have to change the keyboard layout.

I tried to configure the ethernet car ( A Broadcom 57xx) without success: i installed the driver and configure the TCP/IP of LAN 1 to dynamic DHCP... but I have no connection so far... --> This one has been fixed by a clean reinstallation with selection of the appropriate driver at installation.

Hope so could give me some hints to solve my current problems.

Thank you

François
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:13:46 pm by Vanzeveren François »

roberto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 6
    • View Profile
Re: ArcaOS 5.0 on a Dell Latitude D610
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 05:19:54 pm »

Once booted, the keyboard is set to US. I can change it to Belgian, but this change is not persisted after reboot. Everytime I boot the machine I have to change the keyboard layout.
In a command com-   keyb BE  -and intro, Just once, forever
saludos

Tom

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:22:36 pm »

First, during the installation process, the installer asks for the keyboard layout. By default, it is set to US. I selected "Belgian"... but it had no effect on the keyboard layout: type 'a' on my keyboard lead to a 'q' on the screen... But OK, this is not an issue during the installation process.
When it came to select the regionals, I opted for 850/852 (latin 1 and latin2).

When the machine boots, the boot process stops with the following message :
OS2AHCI: couldn't determine MMIO base address
SYS1196: The parameter "852" on line 41 of the CONFIG.SYS file is not acceptable for the CODEPAGE statement. Line 41 is ignored.
Press Enter toncontinue...

Regarding your keyboard issue: look into your config.sys for the line that starts with "devinfo=kbd". It should look like this:  devinfo=kbd,be,c:\os2\keyboard.dcp for a keyboard with Belgian layout.
Now for a Belgian keyboard (defined as such in config.sys), only a specific combination of codepages is accepted: 850 and 437. For this, your config.sys should contain the line codepage=850,437 .
And finally your config.sys should contain the line country=032, c:\os2\system\country.sys .
These three settings are interrelated, and must match.

Vanzeveren François

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 10:08:34 am »
Hi,

Just want to thank you for your help. My Dell is now running ArcaOS 5 fine  8).

Thank you very much.

François

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 10:57:26 am »
Just want to thank you for your help. My Dell is now running ArcaOS 5 fine  8).

If Win-OS/2 is installed, then you could change the Win-OS/2 keyboard too (International -> Default keyboard -> Belgian -> OK).