Author Topic: OS/2 on ThinkPad T420  (Read 1068 times)

John Poltorak

• Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
Re: OS/2 on ThinkPad T420
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 01:08:56 pm »
I still can't figure out how to boot (or rather install...) OS/2 from a USB stick...

It is not, yet, supported, but it can be done, using either QSINIT, or ArcaOS (you need to build a system, ZIP it up, and use the instructions in the QSINIT package to create, and use, the stick. I suggest that you don't even consider trying, until you become far more familiar with the modern OS/2 (very experienced OS/2 users have had a LOT of trouble trying to understand how it works).

Doug, my first copy of OS/2 was OS/2 v1.1 EE in 1989, and I can't get QSINIT working properly!

One of the aims of ArcaOS is to be able to install from a USB stick. I know that they have it working, but no real testing has been done, yet. I have been able to boot eCS 2.2b2, from a USB stick, but I didn't try to install from it (should be no problem). The trick is, that you do not install OS/2 on the stick. You use the QSINIT package to create a RAMDISK, where it unzips the system that you created, then it boots OS/2 from the RAMDISK. That system can be used to do what you want to do, including install OS/2 to a hard disk.

I can boot OS/2 from a USB stick using QSINIT, but unfortunately, there is still some component missing since I cannot access the local hard disk. I can access the Internet OK, but the local disk is invisible.... Maybe I'm missing some device driver in my FATOS2.ZIP...

Doug Bissett

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 10:40:57 pm »
Doug, my first copy of OS/2 was OS/2 v1.1 EE in 1989, and I can't get QSINIT working properly!

QSINIT, itself (without the RAMDISK) is pretty easy. Just read the instructions, and ignore anything about OS/4 The default OS2LDR.INI should work, without modifications, but it probably won't be exactly what you want.

One other thing. You have mentioned ArcaOS. DO NOT try to use QSINIT with ArcaOS. ArcaOS uses a modified QSINIT, and I think it may be set up so it won't work with QSINIT that is available elsewhere.

I can boot OS/2 from a USB stick using QSINIT, but unfortunately, there is still some component missing since I cannot access the local hard disk. I can access the Internet OK, but the local disk is invisible.... Maybe I'm missing some device driver in my FATOS2.ZIP...

Did you install the required drivers to run the local disk, in the ZIPed system? You need either IBMS506, or DANIS506, and/or OS2AHCI (depending on what the BIOS, and the devices require), plus the File system drivers (HPFS, JFS, FAT32 < FAT16 is built in>). Of course, the local disk also needs LVM information to identify the drives. You obviously did get the driver for the RAMDISK installed (HD4DISK.ADD), or it wouldn't boot.

Jochen Schäfer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 02:35:31 pm »
Have we some tool to set the Back and Forward keys that are in the arrow key block?

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 04:54:54 pm »
Have we some tool to set the Back and Forward keys that are in the arrow key block?

Perhaps http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/keyboard/win95key_v309.zip

Jochen Schäfer

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 09:31:49 am »
Two days ago, I received a T420 and installed ArcaOS on it. Power off worked.
Yesterday, a mSATA SSD arrived. I cloned my old setup to it. Now, Power off doesn't work anymore like on the old system. I only get message, that  I now can power off.
Is there some configuration, that handles which shutdown method is used?

Alex Taylor

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 06:02:27 pm »
Yesterday, a mSATA SSD arrived. I cloned my old setup to it. Now, Power off doesn't work anymore like on the old system. I only get message, that  I now can power off.

Desktop (right-click) properties Shutdown (XShutdown) tab, assuming you're using the default shutdown option.

Jochen Schäfer

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 08:00:04 pm »

Desktop (right-click) properties Shutdown (XShutdown) tab, assuming you're using the default shutdown option.
Ah. There it is ;-)

John Poltorak

• Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 03:56:15 pm »
Hi John

You should be able to boot from an eSATA attached powered on drive as it should be seen by the BIOS at power on.
There is the possibility that the os2ahci.add driver in use may prevent this. The Arca Noae 1.32 release does not work with eSATA attached drives here instead delivering the "OS/2 cannot operate your hard disk..." message. I have not bothered testing with the versions supplied with ArcaOS5.0 and 5.0.1 as those releases do not even "see" the hardware correctly.

Having just received an eSATA cable and can say that OS/2 boots up normally via the eSATA port on my T420 and nothing needed to be done to enable this.

Jochen Schäfer

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 04:31:48 pm »
Does suspend work on your T420?
When I try to wake mine, the power button and the keyboard lighting oscillate and the computer never powers up.
I have to remove the PSU and battery to get the computer working again. With Linux suspend just  works fine.