Author Topic: Success. Help needed to access ECS 2.0 shares from Arca OS 5.0  (Read 391 times)

David

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
I have recently installed ArcaOS5 in place of ECS 2.0 on my main computer.

When I was using ECS 2.0 on my primary computer I was using Peer to copy my data across my network to a second computer running ECS 2.0.  Using this setup has worked perfectly for several years.

With ArcaOS 5.0 and the ArcaMapper utility I am absolutely stumped as to how to access my backup ECS 2.0 computer (in order to use it as a backup from the ArcaOS5 machine).  I clearly do not have the necessary knowledge and thus I am writing for help.

Nothing I do allows me to map a drive letter successfully to the ECS 2.0 backup computer using ArcaMapper.

AcraMapper sees the ECS 2.0 computer, it automatically identifies and lists the two shares that exist on the ECS 2.0 backup computer.  However, when I try to assign a drive letter I get “SYS0065: Network access is denied”.  Nothing I try allows me to mount a drive letter (I have tried various drive letters as a test)  successfully to the ECS 2.0 backup computer.  It does appear to mount it by which I means the drive letter F: appears in 'Current Resources'  but if I try to access the assigned and displayed drive letter from a command prompt I get the following error message :

The volume label in drive F is NETDRIVE.  Directory of F:\   SYS0002: The system cannot find the file specified.

The username and password I previously used for the last couple of years now do not work.  I tried creating a new username and password on the ECS 2.0 shares and those too result in the identical error code.

I removed custom settings and set default access on the ECS shares.  That made no difference.  The symptom remains the same.

I tried using USERID and PASSWORD as the default userid and password.  The symptom remains the same.

I created a new username and password to access the shares on the ECS 2.0 computer, the symptom remains the same.

Now, when I installed ArcaOS on my primary computer I did so on a new hard disk.  I removed the prior ECS 2.0 hard disk and kept it as a backup in case things didn't go well with ArcaOS I could simply plug in the older ECS 2.0 based hard disk and be up and running in just a minute or so. 

As a test, I can unplug the ArcaOS hard disk and plug in the previous ECS 2.0 hard disk.  When I do so I can access the shares on the ECS 2.0 based computer and move files back and forth perfectly.

When I remove the ECS 2.0 hard disk in my primary computer and plug back in the ArcaOS hard disk I am dead in the water as it were in trying to access the ECS 2.0 based computer.  I am pulling my hair out in frustration and I have been working at this on and off for several hours per day for about a week and I have had enough.

I would be grateful beyond words if anyone can help me, advise or guide me to a resolution of this problem.  I truly have not got the faintest idea if this is a simple thing to correct or a complex one. All I want to do is to be able to access the backup ECS 2.0 based computer in order to backup to it (as I have been doing successfully for years) from my current ArcaOS based computer.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:18:13 pm by David »

R.M. Klippstein

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to access ECS 2.0 shares from Arca OS 5.0
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:11:37 pm »
Hi David. You should be able to access eCS shares pretty much the same way you did it before using ArcaOS. When you did the ArcasOS install, did you specify the default install or the advanced install? I use the advanced install and specified using Samba, but the option is also there to use Peer the same way you did it in the past using eCS.

David

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 09:20:51 pm »
To R.M. Klippstein :

Thank you for the idea.  I believe I did the advanced install.  I don't recall seeing an option for PEER but I may simply have not seen it.
How can I go about checking to see it PEER is installed and if it is not, then how do I install it? 
Would PEER be installed with Samba so that either could be used or is it a case of only one or the other?

Thank you for your response.

David.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:01:41 am by David »

David

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 09:26:41 pm »
Okay, I found  "Selective Install for Networking".  Starting that I am presented with three items to install.  When I choose PEER the install begins and after a couple of seconds it fails with the following error : Installation terminated with return code:  0X1604

I remain stumped and have no idea how to proceed.

David.

R.M. Klippstein

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 11:59:12 pm »
David, I only use Samba now with ArcaOS. That is the better choice once you finally figure out how to make it work. I don't think you can use both Samba and Peer, Its choose one or the other when doing the install. Do you have sufficient H.D. space and can set up another AecaOS partition to test this?

Andy Willis

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 12:45:44 am »
David, I only use Samba now with ArcaOS. That is the better choice once you finally figure out how to make it work. I don't think you can use both Samba and Peer, Its choose one or the other when doing the install. Do you have sufficient H.D. space and can set up another AecaOS partition to test this?
Both can be installed, only Samba Server or Peer share can be used at a time.

David

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 12:52:44 am »
I guess I should backtrack a bit and ask a more sensible question which is :

Should I be able to connect to an ECS 2.0 computer from an ArcaOS computer using ArcaMapper?

Will it be necessary for me to install PEER in order to connect to the ECS 2.0 computer? If so, given the error message I specified in my earlier post, how I I install PEER?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:01:20 am by David »

R.M. Klippstein

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 01:30:03 am »
Yes, can connect to your eCS box using either PEER or Samba. It works almost identical to doing the same thing using two eCS boxes.
You select Peer, Samba, or both during the initial install of ArcaOS. As  Andy Willis explained, you probably best choose to install both.

Gregg Young

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 01:44:02 am »
Should I be able to connect to an ECS 2.0 computer from an ArcaOS computer using ArcaMapper?
I do not think this is possible.

Will it be necessary for me to install PEER in order to connect to the ECS 2.0 computer? If so, given the error message I specified in my earlier post, how I I install PEER?
If you did not add either Netbios or Netbios over TCPIP when you installed you will need to add one (or both) before you install Peer. You need to add the same one that eCS is using (probably Netbios over TCPIP). You should check on the eCS machine (or you can just install both).

Go to Computer->System settings->Network->Network adapters and protocols under protocols add the appropriate protocol. Exit and reboot. At this point you should be able to install Peer. Reboot. From here Peer setup is unchanged in ArcaOS. I see from an earlier post you already know IBM's secret USERID and PASSWORD.

Both can be installed, only Samba Server or Peer share can be used at a time.

Actually you can run them both at the same time as long as Peer is running on Netbios. However, Samba and netbios over TCPIP can't be run together.

Rene Hvidsoe

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 02:23:02 pm »
Hi David,

Have you tried to change settings in ArcaMapper global settings page 2

Try to change client protocol as Arcamapper can connect to systems with higher level of security regards sharing. I needed to change mine to connect to my Imac share.

There is option for NT1,lanman1 and2,smb2 etc. you can also set for lanman auth or text auth. On the same page.

David

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 07:56:54 pm »
Many thanks to those that have contributed ideas and suggestions to help me resolve this problem.
I have given up trying to get ArcaMapper to conenct to my ECS 2.0 backup computer.

With Greg and Andy's advice (thank you!) I have successfully installed PEER and I hope to be able to use that to connect to my backup computer.

However, after installing PEER and rebooting I receive the following error on boot :

NDFS32 Netdrive for OS/2 File System Driver (Large Files), V3.028
NET3406: An error occurred while opening network device driver NET2 = NETBEUI$
NET3411: There was an error installing NETWKSTA.200
Press ENTER to continue

When I press ENTER boot continues as per normal. 

If I then try to start PEER I receive the following error :

The REQUESTER service is not started.
The REQUESTER service could not be started.
NET3051: IBMLAN.INI or the command line has an incorrect value for WRKNETS.

For more information, type HELP NET3051.
Press any key when ready . . .

So, I hope I am making progress but am unsure as to how to correct the above problems.  I almost hoping against hope that it will be a simply thing to correct and that then I can successly connect to my backup ECS 2.0 computer for backup purposes which is my goal.

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to offer me their advice and suggestions.  I very much appreciate your help.

Dave.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:41:01 pm by David »

David

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 08:20:04 pm »
Within "Network adapters and protocols" I changed the LUN number of IBM/OS2 NETBIOS over TCPIP from 0 to 1 leaving TCPIP at 0 and after a reboot the above errors vanished.

Having rebooted I started PEER and all went well.  I started the " LAN Logon (Workgroup) " and, to my amazaement and delight, great great delight, I am now able to see my ECS 2.0 backup computer and access it perfectly.  At long last now I can backup to the ECS 2.0 computer just as I have been for the past couple of years. 

What a relief.  But I cannot begin to tell you what a miserable process it has been to get to this point.  I could not find any information to help me use AcraMapper to connect to the ECS 2.0 backup computer or even it that were possible and were it not possible what I should do.  The lack of information and resources to turn to caused me incredible frustration.

I remain unable to use ArcaMapper to connect to my backup ECS 2.0 computer.  I can only use PEER to do so.  I have no idea if ArcaMapper should have been able to have handled this task.

Greg and Andy, Thank you very very much for your pointers in the right direction which led to my finally being able to access my backup ECS 2.0 computer.
To everyone that took the time to offer a suggestion to help me, THANK YOU all.

Dave.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:40:04 pm by David »