Author Topic: Help a gal out lol (Disk image loading for games)  (Read 645 times)

Nivi Underborn

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel yay
Help a gal out lol (Disk image loading for games)
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:38:11 am »
Hey everyone, so I recently installed OS/2 Warp 4.0 on virtual box, and I'm trying to get some games on it but- I dont know how haha.

I've created a .img file for DOOM and mounted it on Drive A, but I cant see any of the files on it.... How do I view the .img  that I mounted?

Please respond quickly, I'd like to play DOOM on it haha.

$ a d  G i r l ☹

Andreas Kohl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
    • View Profile
    • warpserver.de
Re: Help a gal out lol (Disk image loading for games)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:48:53 am »
OS/2 Warp Version 4 is not supported by VirtualBox. Without more information about the Host OS and the specific version of VirtualBox it's hard to give an advise. First thing would be to check the VM configuration for correct floppy controller and drive configuration.

Doug Bissett

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 06:09:53 pm »
OS/2 Warp Version 4 is not supported by VirtualBox.

It may not be supported, but it works.

I've created a .img file for DOOM and mounted it on Drive A, but I cant see any of the files on it.... How do I view the .img  that I mounted?

The .img file is probably not in the correct format. I would create a .iso file, and mount that as a CD.

There is an easy way to create compatible .img files, but it has been so long since I tried it, that I forget how to do it.

ivan

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 06:42:03 pm »
EMT4PM Tools will make the required image file.  There are versions for OS/2 and windows.

http://dvalot.free.fr

Nivi Underborn

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel yay
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 09:03:45 pm »
OS/2 Warp Version 4 is not supported by VirtualBox.

The .img file is probably not in the correct format. I would create a .iso file, and mount that as a CD.

There is an easy way to create compatible .img files, but it has been so long since I tried it, that I forget how to do it.

I've created an ISO and mounted it as a CD, I'm now able to view the contents of the CD, but- I can't run the DOOM.exe

I know ".exe" files are to be used with DOS, but the version of DOOM that I have is specifically for OS/2 Warp.
Please help on how I should run this.
http://www.os2world.com/games/index.php/native-games/action-2/80-doom-for-os-2

These might all seem like extremely newbie questions, but that's because I am a complete noob to OS/2 Warp. I've used different flavors of Linux, most versions of Windows OS's and OSX, but never OS/2 Warp, haha.

I'm probably going to post here often to ask a lot of questions, so I apologize in advance.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:13:49 pm by Nivi Underborn »
$ a d  G i r l ☹

Andreas Kohl

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • warpserver.de
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 09:19:57 pm »
Perhaps you'll need a display adapter driver with support for DIVE to run this program?

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 09:42:35 pm »
It's been a long time since I've run DOOM but if I remember correctly, you install the DOS version and then replace doom.exe with the OS/2 doom.exe. OS/2 is much like DOS in the commands, including naming executables with .exe.
As Andreas mentioned, you will need a video driver with DIVE support, perhaps an audio driver with DART support at least. Possibly need to apply some fixpak as well. Warp V4 as released was somewhat buggy and not quite finished.
DIVE and DART are ways for programs to directly access the hardware and where MS got the idea for DirectX.

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 10:33:54 pm »
if I remember correctly, you install the DOS version and then replace doom.exe with the OS/2 doom.exe.

A registered DOOM.WAD may be am additional requirement too. Doom LEGACY (SDL) seems to work. So does DOSBox/2. The default way for DOOM.EXE is to create a new program object, which will use the settings of OS/2's DATABASE.TXT when DOOM.EXE is selected. With the DOS version not all sound and/or music will work. There's a SETUP.EXE too.

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 10:56:08 pm »
replace doom.exe with the OS/2 doom.exe.

CALL SysCreateObject 'WPProgram','Doom LEGACY','<WP_DESKTOP>','EXENAME=x:\y\LEGACY\DOOM2.EXE;SET DOOMWADDIR=x:\y\DOOM' is a way to use Doom LEGACY (requires DIVE too, indeed) without having to overwrite EXEs nor having to copy large, registered WAD files.

SETUP.EXE: please try the PC speaker and no music first.

David Shearer

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 11:56:50 am »
Hi - try this version - it runs much better, is an early Os/2 port, and has the required Doom wad file

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/games/action/doom/dmos219s.zip

Just extract it and run the doom.exe file.

David

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 03:20:01 pm »
Both DOOM.EXE (DOS) and DOOM2.EXE (DOS) should work in a fullscreen DOS session, without required settings or OS/2 updates, and probably without supported audio adapters. Perhaps try this first.

Nivi Underborn

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel yay
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 12:32:34 am »

As Andreas mentioned, you will need a video driver with DIVE support, perhaps an audio driver with DART support at least. Possibly need to apply some fixpak as well. Warp V4 as released was somewhat buggy and not quite finished.
DIVE and DART are ways for programs to directly access the hardware and where MS got the idea for DirectX.

By any chance do you know where I can get video and sound drivers with DIVE & DART support?
$ a d  G i r l ☹

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 47
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 03:17:44 pm »
Hi Nivi.

In my personal opinon it will be better if you can use a little bit more patched OS/2, like OS/2 Warp 4.52 on the Virtual Machine.

I haven't tried Warp 4 for a long time, but you need to prepare the VM with the correct drivers first.
There is this articles about eCS on Virtualbox that may give you some hints.

On Warp 4 maybe for audio you can try this driver. But remember to change to "Sound Blaster 16" on the VM sound settings.

I'm not sure for video which will be the best driver for that older Warp on VirtualBox. I guess you can not install SNAP video driver, without installing a large quantity of fixpacks on Warp 4 (that is why I prefer Warp 4.52).

Also remember that there are several editions of Doom you can run on OS/2:
- Doom for OS/2. - Port of WinDoom to OS/2.
- Doom for Dive - Doom port using the DIVE video library.
- MGLDoom - Doom for OS/2 but requiring MGL libraries.
- Doom Legacy - Didn't try much of that one.
- DOS DOOM - Regular DOS Doom under a DOS session.

Let' s me see if I can remember the old days of playing Doom on OS/2. I will give it a try on my VMs.

Regards

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:32:05 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andreas Kohl

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • warpserver.de
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 04:01:47 pm »
By any chance do you know where I can get video and sound drivers with DIVE & DART support?

As I wrote earlier Warp 4 is not a supported guest system for VirtualBox, which means no drivers at all or at least a lot of DIY with broken virtualised hardware interfaces. Warp 4 is also not supported in Virtual PC 2007 SP1 but things will work better regarding application compatibility. There you will have an emulated S3 Trio (which lacks 16-bit colour depth modes) and better working SoundBlaster 16 (but also without FM synth).

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 47
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 05:04:51 pm »
Hi.

I just installed a plain Warp 4 guest on VirtualBox to give it a try.
- Soundblaster 16 working with the SB16D2.SYS driver that cames with the installation process.
- No fixpack installed.

1) DOS Doom Shareware  (http://www.doomarchive.com/ListFiles.asp?FolderId=216&ContentsFolderId=216)
On a DOS full screen session it run. On a Windowed session looked very weird.

2) Doom for OS/2.
OS2DOOM.exe run initially (remember to copy the wad file) but it crash with a message.

3) Doom for Dive (doomv19.zip)
Also copyign the .wad file. Runs fine. No extra files needed on Warp 4.

4)Doom Legacy, requires the EMX libraries.

So, without too much testing and any fixpack I will say that "doomv19.zip" is running and also DOS DOOM.

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.