Author Topic: Panorama installation  (Read 438 times)

John Poltorak

• Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
Panorama installation
« on: July 16, 2017, 03:50:27 pm »
How should I install the Panorama display drivers?

I have managed to install them, but it was a hit and miss affair and I'm not really sure what I should run. I've never really understood what to pick from various option because there doesn't seem to be a best match. For example on Page 2 of the SciTech SNAP GRAPHICS options it lists dozens of monitors, but what do I pick when using a laptop? Why can the installer work out what I have?

Also can I use the Panorama drivers as a replacement for the SciTech drivers?

Doug Bissett

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 37
    • View Profile
Re: Panorama installation
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 07:02:09 pm »
How should I install the Panorama display drivers?

Run the WarpIn installer. I recommend getting the driver from the Arca Noae driver package, unless you are using ArcaOS, which has it on the install DVD.

Why can the installer work out what I have?

What do you have? Panorama (not the installer) usually does a pretty good job of selecting the proper settings, although ArcaOS does leave the colors set to 64K, and that should be changed to 16M, when it works (almost always). The WarpIn installer makes sure that all of the proper files are copied to the proper places.

Also can I use the Panorama drivers as a replacement for the SciTech drivers?

Panorama IS the replacement for SNAP (at least until Arca Noae gets around to fixing SNAP, which is not high on the todo list). SNAP is only useful for old machines where acceleration will work (pre 2000 vintage video adapters), but the install seems to always use 800x600 resolution, and you need to adjust it to match your screen.

Jean-Yves

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:44:50 am »
John, apologies for jumping in on your thread, but could I ask Doug whether the above Panorama installation method (ie run from the WarpIn installer off the ISO/DVD) works even after having initially installed ArcaOS with SNAP?  Will it comment out all the SNAP settings in the config.sys or is there some manual hackery required?

John Poltorak

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 12:20:35 pm »
John, apologies for jumping in on your thread, but could I ask Doug whether the above Panorama installation method (ie run from the WarpIn installer off the ISO/DVD) works even after having initially installed ArcaOS with SNAP?  Will it comment out all the SNAP settings in the config.sys or is there some manual hackery required?

Feel free to jump in... I've always found installing video drvers on OS/2 a bit of a black art - you try various things until something works, but it's all trial and error.

The T420 uses an Intel Sandybridge Mobile Graphics chip, but I have no idea which of the options I need when I run Panorama's SETUP.CMD. Those options are:-

ATI CHP DYN G_V GEN MGA NM S3 TRI VGA VIRGE

Which is the correct option for the T420?

Pete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 01:42:05 pm »
Hi Jean-Yves

There should be an unistal.exe in the SNAP directory.

You use that to uninstall SNAP and then reboot to reset video to vga.

Then install Panorama.

Looks like some work has already been done on SNAP as it seems far more SMP-safe than previous versions - I have yet to see the Desktop startup hang that was common with SNAP 3.1.8 from eCS on this system.

Regards

Pete

Jean-Yves

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 04:31:07 pm »
Thanks for the info Pete. I'll take a snapshot of my VM and try it on that. 

Jean-Yves

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 04:33:16 pm »
Feel free to jump in... I've always found installing video drvers on OS/2 a bit of a black art - you try various things until something works, but it's all trial and error.

Yes, I must say I find the whole drivers installation / un-installation on OS/2 rather daunting. Mostly because I only ever do it every 5 years or so, so I have forgotten everything by the time I get around to doing it again!  ;D

Rich Walsh

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 04:52:04 pm »
I must say I find the whole drivers installation / un-installation on OS/2 rather daunting.

Help is on the way - but it may be a while. Meanwhile...

I have no idea which of the options I need when I run Panorama's SETUP.CMD. Those options are:-
ATI CHP DYN G_V GEN MGA NM S3 TRI VGA VIRGE

For Panorama, it's always "GEN".

Doug Bissett

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 06:20:23 pm »
could I ask Doug whether the above Panorama installation method (ie run from the WarpIn installer off the ISO/DVD) works even after having initially installed ArcaOS with SNAP?

I have used the WarpIn installers, going both ways. Panorama works better, when installing over SNAP, than going the other way. If you uninstall, use WarpIn, to get it right, and be prepared to install the other, before you reboot.

I've always found installing video drvers on OS/2 a bit of a black art - you try various things until something works, but it's all trial and error.

That is why they are packaged by WarpIn. The user should not have to mess around, it is supposed to just work. So far, it always has, for me. YMMV.

Which is the correct option for the T420?

No options required, except possibly for very new, very old, or broken hardware.

I'll take a snapshot of my VM and try it on that.

AH!, a VM... Use the GRADD driver. Using either SNAP or Panorama, will work, BUT they are simply unnecessary overhead, after you install the OS2 additions from the VBox additions (virtual) CD. After installing the GRADD driver from the additions, it uses the host driver anyway.

Jean-Yves

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 10:32:54 am »
Thanks Doug. I didn't realise that there was no benefit to using the enhanced drivers in a VM. Good to know.