Author Topic: OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk  (Read 464 times)

John Poltorak

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk
« on: July 21, 2017, 05:43:54 pm »
I've probably seen the above msg 1000's of times and by a matter of trial and error I manage to fix things, but in a rather random fashion... I just wondered if anyone had ever comes across a definitive checklist of things which could cause the problem. Am I right in thinking that the problem is almost always due to one of the basedevs related to the hard disk such as IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD, OS2LVM.DMD or a missing IFS?

Pete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
    • View Profile
Re: OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 08:01:04 pm »
Hi John

Yes, mainly... add OS2AHCI.ADD to your list as 1 of the basedevs.

The message can occur as the result of the hard drive partition being given a different drive letter during boot ie 
   when using os2ahci.add v1.32 from the Arca Noae subscriptions driver pack with this system and attempting to
   boot with an eSATA drive attached and powered on
or
   a new drive is added to the system and the BIOS places the new drive before the existing drive.

I have also seen this message displayed on a system known to be working at shutdown with no changes made to the system - simply rebooting works. I suspect some sort of hardware timing issue when this happens. The system is using the eCS osahci.add v1.32 driver and I am hoping that the Arca Noae v2.0.3(?) driver will resolve this when it is released.

Of course, if the drive actually fails with a physical fault this message may be displayed.

There may be more reasons...

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:18:54 pm »
I've probably seen the above msg 1000's of times and by a matter of trial and error I manage to fix things, but in a rather random fashion... I just wondered if anyone had ever comes across a definitive checklist of things which could cause the problem. Am I right in thinking that the problem is almost always due to one of the basedevs related to the hard disk such as IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD, OS2LVM.DMD or a missing IFS?

The usual cause is that you are loading the wrong driver for the machine configuration. If the machine is set to use AHCI, you need the OS2AHCI driver. If it is set for IDE, you need the DANIS506 driver (unless that won't work, then try IBMS506, but I have yet to see a machine where DANIS506 won't work). To complicate things, some adapters will switch between IDE and AHCI, modes, depending on which driver gets loaded first. Others seem to have problems when both drivers are loaded, and the second one to load can't find anything to do (this shouldn't happen, but I have seen it a few times). When you install, deselect any drivers that you don't need.

In spite of what Pete says, it is unlikely that OS2AHCI is causing your problem.

It is possible that you may need both AHCI, and IDE support, depending on your machine configuration (perhaps a SATA HDD, and an IDE CD/DVD drive). If that is the case, read the OS2AHCI docs, carefully, so that you get the proper setup. Driver load order can be important.

John Poltorak

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 09:50:09 am »
I'm using a couple of old ThinkPads so I don't think that AHCI is an issue.

What kind of problems could I expect if I have both an IDE and SATA disk (via ultrabay) in a ThinkPad?

Also I think that some problems could be due to two disks both having Boot Manager and a C drive.

John Poltorak

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 03:16:01 pm »
I tried copying a known good partition to the partition I'm having a problem with in the belief the correct drivers would be loaded, but unfortunately it still stopped....

Now I'm thinking the disk layout may be causing the problem. I'm using a 100GB disk which is partitioned as follows:-

Boot Manager       7  Primary
               10003  Primary
[D]               84378  Primary
[C]                 1004  Primary

Maybe the start of Partition [C] starts beyond some OS/2 limit... ISTR something along those lines...

Doug Bissett

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 09:14:45 pm »
I'm using a couple of old ThinkPads so I don't think that AHCI is an issue.

Okay, that cuts down the possibilities...

It may help to know exactly what model(s) of ThinkPad that you are using.

What kind of problems could I expect if I have both an IDE and SATA disk (via ultrabay) in a ThinkPad?

You need to know, for sure, which disk is identified as the boot device by the machine BIOS. Then you need to make sure that the IDE driver (use DANIS506, which should work) loads that disk first. That MAY mean using two copies of DANIS506, with parameters to select the proper device on the first one, and let the second discover the rest. You probably don't have the option to use AHCI with the SATA drive, but if you do, I suggest making sure that it is set for compatibility mode (NOT AHCI, which you can experiment with later, if you like).

Also I think that some problems could be due to two disks both having Boot Manager and a C drive.

In fact, that should not be a real problem, IF you set it up properly, but you need to have everything match (BIOS, drivers and drive addresses), when you boot. The Boot Manager, that will be used, is the one that is on the disk that the BIOS identifies as being the first disk. When you boot OS/2, the drive letter doesn't matter, until the disk driver (DANIS506) loads, then it will start to use the LVM drive letter. Since you have two C: drives, whichever one LVM finds first will get C:, and the other will get some other drive letter (probably D:). If the drive that you are booting from changes to D:, you are in trouble.

I tried copying a known good partition to the partition I'm having a problem with in the belief the correct drivers would be loaded, but unfortunately it still stopped....

See above...

Maybe the start of Partition [C] starts beyond some OS/2 limit... ISTR something along those lines...

That is also a possibility, depending on a lot of things. Usually, the limit is around 8 GB, as I recall (sorry, it has been a LONG time <about 1994>  since I saw anything like that, and ALL of the boot partition needs to be within the limit), but I suspect that it is not an issue, if the machine will support a 100 GB disk. Also, remember that you can only have 4 primary partitions on any single disk (including the extended partition, that contains any logical partitions, and Boot Manager). It may be wise to use Air Boot, so you can remove the Boot Manager partition, install all of the OS/2 partitions to Logical partitions, and use a different drive letter for each boot partition, to avoid duplication.