Author Topic: Printing and Firefox  (Read 587 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 15
    • View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Printing and Firefox
« on: July 29, 2017, 03:42:29 pm »
I have a question about printing in Firefox/Thunderbird.

For non-cups, non-postscript printers, the best method seems to be to save a PDF and print from Lucide.

When the print dialog brings up the file save dialog, the default directory is the Firefox directory. It would be handy to have that default to a directory of my choice. Is there any way to set that default directory?

Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Joop

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 31
    • View Profile
Re: Printing and Firefox
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 07:30:04 pm »
I get a new popup with the question on which drive, directory etc.

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 01:01:24 am »
I get a new popup with the question on which drive, directory etc.

Unfortunately the selected different drive and/or directory will have to be reselected the next time FF/TB is executed, because next time FF/TB will use its own current directory again.

A bulk add-on, which exports all mails in a TB folder to individual PDF files, also doesn't save the selected directory.

I can change the STARTUPDIR of a proper FF WPS program object to x:\PDF, but I don't know if FF will be able to find all possibly required FF files. If FF isn't fully functional, then selecting a drive and/or directory may be easier than closing FF and starting a FF session with a different STARTUPDIR. With a different STARTUPDIR I can open a page of Hobbes and save it as a PDF file in x:\PDF without having to select a different drive and/or directory first, but YMMV.

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 11:04:03 am »
</silence>Or, to finish an existing thread: optionally rename your FF/SM/TB directory to "Print.me!", go to this FF/SM/TB directory, and execute the command "ATTRIB +H *" there. It will look like the FF/SM/TB tree structure, but without FF/SM/TB files in the *.PDF directory.

The file attribute can be used by e.g. a file-moving Rexx script too, to distinguish between FF/SM/TB files and any saved file of an user. 

Not the advantage of an own directory structure with a different STARTUPDIR setting, but FF/SM/TB should be able to find all of its files in its own directory. By default there are no hidden files, so you can undo the change safely while FF/SM/TB is still running.

Of course you could try to hide the FF/SM/TB subdirectories too, to make it look like a clean "Print.me!" directory. I've only tried this with hidden files, to test the concept.<silence>

Andi B.

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 12:02:10 pm »
I start to ask myself if Andre Heldoorn is a bot, or what he smokes all the day, if he don't understand what the topic is, or if my English is so terrible bad. I simply do not understand what he's talking about and how this is related to original question.

Sorry Neil, I don't know where FF stores this information. The same applies to the download location. Maybe some setting in about:config?

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 16
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • OS/2 Site
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 01:06:34 pm »
I start to ask myself if Andre Heldoorn is a bot, or what he smokes all the day, if he don't understand what the topic is, or if my English is so terrible bad. I simply do not understand what he's talking about and how this is related to original question.

I too wonder sometimes if A. Doff/Andre Heldoorn is real, or whatever. I'm not overly worried what André is, be it alien, bot, different intelligent planet earth species as long as the posts are helpful even taking into account language differences but if André is typing his posts suspended from the ceiling or stairwell, might be an idea if André tried sitting down :).
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 04:37:05 pm »

Sorry Neil, I don't know where FF stores this information. The same applies to the download location. Maybe some setting in about:config?

I took a quick look but couldn't find anything about the printing location. IIRC, the download location is stored in prefs.js (about:config)