Author Topic: Vinyl to digital  (Read 599 times)

John Poltorak

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
Vinyl to digital
« on: August 06, 2017, 01:00:08 am »
One projects I've had at the back of my mind for a long time is to convert my vinyl records to digital.

Any suggestions as to how to do this under OS/2?

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Vinyl to digital
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 01:29:32 am »
Buy a USB turntable, plug it into the computer and process the wav input with lame. The USB turntable I tried here showed up as a USB microphone and was seen fine by OS/2. Forget now how I captured the sound though.

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 01:48:19 am »
One projects I've had at the back of my mind for a long time is to convert my vinyl records to digital.

Any suggestions as to how to do this under OS/2?

Name-dropping is clumsy. Since we have to guess the hardware again: existing turntable -> amplifier -> cable -> audio line-in of a port replicator or sound adapter -> "RECORD.CMD"? "MPPM.EXE waveaudio"? Or any other app capable of recording audio, of any OS. You could be able to test the concept with the possibly built-in microphone of one of your ThinkPads.

Andi B.

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 09:41:33 am »
There are different WAVE recording apps. What I didn't find so far is a more elegant solution which automatically splits the tracks. Converting to flac or anything else afterwards is simple. But setting album and track names by hand will be a boring job.

Not what you asked for but I convert my CDs with ExactAudioCopy on win. Album and track names are downloaded from internet together with cover pictures. I for myself gave up on converting vinyl and audio cassettes.

Pete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 03:34:46 pm »
Hi All

I gave up on ripping vinyl a long time ago. Reason: No matter how good a rip vinyl recorded to cd does not sound anywhere near as good as the original vinyl and nothing like the actual cd version (where it exists).

I never bothered ripping cassette as sound quality - especially prerecorded cassette - is so bad to start with that it is simply not worth ripping.

If you really want digital copies of your LPs I suggest locating CD versions - not vinyl rips but CD releases - for download.

Regards

Pete

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:36:28 pm by Pete »

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 16
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • OS/2 Site
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 07:44:32 pm »
I'm using an old registered copy of Cooledit under OS/2, or Audacity https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/ under Linux.

I'm using a Technics SL-Q3 Direct Drive turntable matched with
  Ortofon 2M Red
And belt drive Dual + a Sansui with
  Ortofon OM Cartridge + 5E stylus
  Ortofon OM Cartridge + PRO S Stylus (and 2 x Ortofon 78 mono stylus for 78's)
  Ortofon Super OM Cartridge + mono stylus
What I use depends on the LP(s) etc

I have not found a USB turntable that is capable of producing anything of what I would call quality, so the inputs are via a RIAA preamp to a Creative Labs LIVE PCI soundcard which is fed to Cooledit or Audacity. You could also try feeding whatever input you have into DTAPE under OS/2.

I wash each disk using diluted detergent and a well worn horse hair brush, rinse, dry in a dish rack, use vinyl cleaner, an antistat brush, then record. When it comes to splitting tracks, sorry, just plain old manual cut and save.

Declicking - use gramofile16.zip from http://www.os2site.com/sw/mmedia/wave/ or hobbes.
Audacity has its own declick filters.

Many modern CD copies of old classics are 'remastered' by people who are clueless. I bought Rick Wakemans White Rock album on CD last year, absolute rubbish audio quality with very harsh clipping. When I have time I'll go looking for an LP version on eBay or somewhere to replace the one I had decades ago.

For recording cassettes I'm using a Sony TC-KB920S, my old Nakamichi is long gone but I'm happy with the Sony.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Fahrvenugen

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 06:34:51 am »
Ian,

I admit I'm curious as to which version of CoolEdit you're using.  Are you running the old Win3.1 (16 bit) version, or did you somehow manage to get the 32 bit Win9x version to run on OS/2? (via Odin or in Virtualbox)

Just curious - the last time I tried the 16 bit version in WinOS/2 there was enough latency and other challenges with the audio recording that it was not producing results that I was happy with.

As for turntables, if you can find a Technics SP10 along with a good quality tone arm, stylus, turntable amp, and a quality sound card it is entirely possible to get a good quality digital copy of vinyl. 

Holger Schuett

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 02:01:48 pm »
Hi John,

take a look at this page, I know it is in german, but it might help

http://de.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues_DE/VNL0602H/vnewsf6.htm

Regards
Holger

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 242
  • -Receive: 49
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 02:38:56 pm »
Hi Dave

Can you please share the name, model, VendorID and ProductID of the USB turntable that worked under OS/2? I want to include it on the hardware wiki.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andreas Kohl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
    • View Profile
    • warpserver.de
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 03:49:30 pm »
Hi John,

take a look at this page, I know it is in german, but it might help

http://de.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues_DE/VNL0602H/vnewsf6.htm
Shortening of the URL shows also an english translation
http://de.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0602H/vnewsf6.htm

For the mentioned tools:
http://www.ca-arnold.de/e/index.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:41:08 pm by Andreas Kohl »

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 16
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • OS/2 Site
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 07:56:30 pm »
Hi Fahrvenugen,

I have Cooledit96 which runs fine under odin, I also have the 1995 version (v1.51) which might be the Win31 version, all I remember is that I had a lot of problems with the 1995 version.
Cheers
Ian B Manners