Author Topic: Improvement for RAM Disk feature  (Read 1951 times)

Rick C. Hodgin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
    • View Profile
    • Liberty Software Foundation
Re: Improvement for RAM Disk feature
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 05:44:52 pm »
Note that I am not knocking his beliefs just the fact that he tries to impose them on people who are not interested.

So, Rick, Please stay on topic.

Pete, I used to believe exactly as you do.  If somebody would've told me before that day I asked forgiveness for my sin that a person could be changed from within, I would not only not have believed it, but would've mocked them.  And I did many times.  And even after it happened to me I still to this day (13+ years later) stand in amazement over the change.  Some of the things I write, do, say, teach, etc., they just floor me.  It's not me doing these things, it is Him alive living inside me, guiding me from within, who is doing them through me.  I literally sit back reading some of the things I write, hearing them for the first time, and going, "Wow!  That's deep," again because it's not me writing them.  This happened especially back in 2012 and 2013 at Foxite.  I can't tell you how many times I would finish writing a post and just be floored at what had just come out of me.  Rick the man couldn't write those things, but Rick the redeemed did write those things because He wrote them through me.

I cannot divorce Rick the man from the change He made within me on that day I asked forgiveness for my sin any more than I could convert myself into a penguin.  It's not possible, and I am now this new man.  The things I do are done for new reasons.  It is not just mere words being espoused, but a true changed nature brought to bear upon this world.

In the things I do, I will do them for the Lord.  Period and paragraph.

I will not waste my time doing things that are not for the Lord, because I know this world is temporal, and all people die at some point, but it is eternity that lives on beyond death, and it is there the Christian's eyes are focused (upon eternity, and where we will be then more so than where we are now).

If you've never sat down like I did seeking the truth, in fact literally DEMANDING the truth from the Bible (because I was prepared to cut it to ribbons, and show everybody where it was flawed) ... if you've never sat down with that truth-seeking effort, then you owe it to yourself to do so.  You deserve to know the truth, and to prove it out within your own mind so you are absolutely certain that you are standing on solid ground on your beliefs.  I was as convinced as I could be without knowing 100%, but I found out that tiny little bit that was within the existence of my not-knowing-100% was enough to show me where I had been wrong.

As for the 64-bit OS/2 kernel ... I have been spending a lot of time in recent months contemplating what I'm going to do with this OS.  I think making a 100% compatible OS is unwise, because we have fast enough computers today that we could run our OS/2 apps in a virtual machine within the host OS.  But, I think the fundamental nature, design, and general API framework we received with OS/2 is desirable.  And if others would like to come on board and help make it 100% compatible, I would be more than willing.

My work on this project will proceed with that foundation of being for the Lord, but I am also looking to give this product to each of you, so you are an owner, not a renter, so that you hold allodial title to all of LibSF's products in your hand ... a true holder of real rights on use.  This is what the Lord gives us, and this is what the powers that be in this world deny us.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:02:23 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

Eugene Tucker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 11:37:26 pm »
Rick I would help you if I could but I am not a programmer at all with no experience. Keep the faith bro.

En agape

Gene

Rick C. Hodgin

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 12:57:45 pm »
FWIW, I would very much like for us all, those who have interests in OS/2, to come together and begin a kernel project, one that is not tied to one man, but is a community effort.  One that has a hierarchy of oversight, by roles, so that person X can come and go, but the project remains viable and in tact, well-documented, proceeding step-by-step, phase-by-phase, in a mapped out form.

People are given talents, abilities, natural inclinations.  The project needs a wide range of people.  There should be leaders who step up, managers, laborers in the various tasks, and then we, as this entity working together for our cause, comprised of like-minded people ... we walk.  We put our hand to the plough and we say, "Yaw!" to get things moving.

A kernel is not as complex as people think.  But an OS is comprised of many layers, all built atop the kernel.

If we can outline and design the base API, based upon the existing pieced-together OS/2 API, adding new features for 64-bit computing, considering things like support for other CPU architectures like ARM, and agreeing on what features we could remove, then the task ahead of us will reveal itself.  It will speak to us and teach us the natural route to get from A, to B, to C, and so on.

We have the ability to do this.  And I'm asking us to come together for this purpose, not merely of ourselves because as the project gets three-quarters completed, persons X or Y might be designing men/women scheming, trying to figure out a way to take the product and usurp it for personal-gain goals, but instead to begin with the foundation on something greater than us, something to which we are accountable, something which will keep us focused on the true goal ... and that foundation is and must be the Lord.

The world needs endeavors like this -- bright beacons of light and hope, men and women working together for the Lord for our common goal of giving ourselves something that will endure.

I urge and ask each of you to consider it.  We were meant for greatness.  And in Him, working together, we are able to achieve and retain it.

Please consider it with some real thought.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 01:01:22 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

Doug Bissett

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 04:51:13 pm »
FWIW, I would very much like for us all, those who have interests in OS/2, to come together and begin a kernel project, one that is not tied to one man, but is a community effort.

Then stop with the talk, and open a project. Netlabs, or Github are two locations where you can do that, so get on with it. If people can help, they will. If not, then it won't happen.

Rick C. Hodgin

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 06:36:42 pm »
FWIW, I would very much like for us all, those who have interests in OS/2, to come together and begin a kernel project, one that is not tied to one man, but is a community effort.

Then stop with the talk, and open a project. Netlabs, or Github are two locations where you can do that, so get on with it. If people can help, they will. If not, then it won't happen.

I already have one, Doug.  It's the LibSF and Village Freedom Project, and they've been in progress for a long time.  I have one on GitHub dating back to 2012.

What I'm asking for here is for others to join in, and then for us (plural) to move forward together.

-----
I do not want to be a project leader.  It's not my calling.  I want to design systems, design hardware and software, and then be a real hands-on developer and coder -- someone who contributes through the skills I actually possess, and not through skills I could attempt, but are not native to my makeup.

There are surely other people far more suited to stepping up and being the project's leader, as well as managers.  We need those to step forward and begin walking in their roles.

If no one is willing to be in those roles, I will step up and do them.  But right now I have a plan to design, manufacture, and sell keyboards so I can devote my daytime labor hours to these projects.  I need a source of revenue so I'm not relegated to only working in the evenings, weekends, sick days, holidays, and unpaid days off, as I've been doing for the past 5+ years.  It's exhausting, and while I am making progress, I just can't keep doing it because I have other needs in my life that demand my non-daytime-labor-hour time.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 06:43:14 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

guzzi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 12:06:56 am »
Soon we'll be debating the merits of the Aesir vs the Vanir on this forum....

Rick C. Hodgin

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 01:50:57 pm »
Soon we'll be debating the merits of the Aesir vs the Vanir on this forum....

Why do you conclude that?

Even for the most devout Christians, God only commands us to teach people.  He never commands us to try and convince them, but only to teach people the truth.  And He even goes so far as to teach us to not debate or argue with people.

Why does He do that?  Isn't the goal of "religion" to "convert" others?

Christianity is not a religion.  It's a fundamental change resulting in a new you, with a completely revamped outlook on all things.  It's not an achievement by a person, it's an acknowledgement that we have sinned and need forgiveness.

It even takes an internal change for someone to be able to hear the message of the cross.  Until then it will literally only be foolishness to a person, and that change is something only God can do (John 6:44).

You will NEVER see me engaged in a debate over Christianity.  I teach people, and correct errant thoughts / ideas about it (as I am doing in this post), and I will try different ways to teach people.  But no debates.  No arguments.  Though I may debate you over whether or not a journaling file system should always be used or not ... it should by the way.  It only makes sense. :-)