Author Topic: ArcaOS5.0.1 and SNAP  (Read 749 times)

Pete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
    • View Profile
ArcaOS5.0.1 and SNAP
« on: August 06, 2017, 08:40:13 pm »
Hi All

As SNAP seems to have had some fixes for the ArcaOS5.0 release judging by the lack of Desktop hang on startup I opted for SNAP again when installing ArcaOS5.0.1 to another system with an ATI X300 vga card installed.

After installation the Desktop started up in 640*480 - I think I was expecting 800*600 at least - so I changed it to the monitor resolution 1920*1080 and rebooted.  The Desktop started up in 640*480 again. After several attempts to get SNAP using 1920*1080 the best I got was 1440*900. Looks like this release of SNAP cannot change to the user selected resolution.

As Snap from the 5.0 dvd did not have any problems changing resolution I checked the SNAP versions on the 5.0 and 5.0.1 dvds. It seems that SNAP got some sort of update(?) between the 5.0 and 5.0.1 releases.

Installing the SNAP from the 5.0 dvd has resolved the problem as the system is now running happily at 1920*1080.

Has anyone else seen this problem with SNAP from the ArcaOS5.0.1 release?

Regards

Pete

Andy Willis

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • View Profile
Re: ArcaOS5.0.1 and SNAP
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 11:03:35 pm »
Hello John,

Yes, this is a known issue. 
I would recommend checking out this article, it also addresses the issue of the Advanced button:

http://os2news.warpstock.org/ArcaOS.html

Pete

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 01:20:58 am »
Hi Andy

Thanks.

That confirms the problem exists and is not just this system; also saves me having to report the problem.

I had noticed the Advanced button failure but had not investigated it further so Thanks for the link.

Regards (not John :-)

Pete 

Dariusz Piatkowski

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 07:01:11 pm »
Hi Pete,

...As SNAP seems to have had some fixes for the ArcaOS5.0 release judging by the lack of Desktop hang on startup I opted for SNAP again when installing ArcaOS5.0.1 to another system with an ATI X300 vga card installed...

Is there anything official in the GA release that actually spells this out?

I am curious since the WPS hang with SNAP (given the symptoms I've been seeing match what others have experienced) has been preventing me from running my AMD Phenom II X6 with the 6 cores and requires me to boot with 5 cores only. My video card is also ATI, but X850 XT PE...

Not sure of AN intends to release an updated version of SNAP (through their Drivers Subscription) if there is a fix in there indeed for this particular issue. However, if this is only available with the full 5.x purchase I would be willing to pay up the full price just to get a fixed version of SNAP on my system.

Before you ask, my install of OS/2 has literally taken years to get to what it is today, subsequently I have very little (if any) desire to to a full 5.x install. For now it just doesn't seem to be worth the hassle...

Thanks!

Andy Willis

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 02:50:07 am »
The only update that I recall being in SNAP, and it may well be what fixed the desktop hang, is to properly setup MTRR in SMP mode. 

Thomas M.

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 08:17:28 pm »
Hello Pete,

exactly the same problem here with my X300 and SNAP. Therefor one question: How can I install SNAP from the 5.0 DVD? Thanks a lot for a short explanation.

Thomas

Neil Waldhauer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 15
    • View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 08:22:37 pm »
I tried SNAP on T540p, and it seem to display nicely. I like having the ability to turn off the monitor.

The GACTRL program has a problem here that it stops/hangs the system on exit. I see Steve W also has a problem with GACTRL.

However, I must warn you that when launching GACtrl this way, upon exiting from it, I sometimes got black screen "internal processing error" crashes in the OS/2 kernel.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 10:47:06 pm »
Hello Pete,

exactly the same problem here with my X300 and SNAP. Therefor one question: How can I install SNAP from the 5.0 DVD? Thanks a lot for a short explanation.

Thomas

Go to s:\CID\SERVER\SNAP (adjusting DVD drive letter if needed) and run setup.cmd, it'll tell you the correct syntax.