Author Topic: UX2BS  (Read 412 times)

John Poltorak

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
UX2BS
« on: August 07, 2017, 10:20:10 am »
Many years ago I wanted to created a script for automating building Perl. Surprisingly, I managed it and soon realised that I could use this as a framework for building a lot of Unix apps on OS/2, including things like apache, sendmail and rsync. I called this framework UX2BS - The Unix on OS/2 Build System. A lot of time was spent on it and lots of people helped in developing it, but then other things took over so I basically abandoned it, although I see remnants of  it in YUM/RPM. After being away from OS/2 for 10 years, I thought I'd try and bring UX2BS up to date, since a large number of programs have been ported/updated over the last ten years.

I'm starting by recreating the original UX2BS whose first objective was to build Perl. If anyone is interested in helping me test this system I'd like to hear from you.

Neil Waldhauer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 15
    • View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: UX2BS
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:25:00 pm »
I'm thinking that the Netlabs RPM/YUM repository already has an environment for building perl, but I have not yet tried it. Would that make a good starting place?
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dariusz Piatkowski

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 07:09:24 pm »
Hi John,

I would be happy to help, but as Neil pointed out, it would be great to actually establish an "official" and well known environment that in general could be at least used as the de-facto starting point for OS/2 platform application porting.

Right now there are several, and each one relies on different setups, some incompatible with each other. I have started to look at this some weeks ago as I had interest in being able to build the ffmpeg stuff. All I've been able to do was to get a bit of a head-ache  ;D in reconciling all that information.

Mind you, it is not that the stuff out there is written poorly...at least the things I have looked at are pretty good with the author(s) attempting to do a good job of explaining the behind-the-scenes stuff. For example, take a peek at KO's "how-to" page (https://lvzuufx.blogspot.ca/search?q=porting+to+os/2), great stuff.

Anyways...yeah, count me in, but please consider that we pretty much have all been pushed into the YUM/RPM thing and that certainly adds an extra layer of complexity.

John Poltorak

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 07:58:53 pm »
Hi John,

I would be happy to help, but as Neil pointed out, it would be great to actually establish an "official" and well known environment that in general could be at least used as the de-facto starting point for OS/2 platform application porting.

Right now there are several, and each one relies on different setups, some incompatible with each other. I have started to look at this some weeks ago as I had interest in being able to build the ffmpeg stuff. All I've been able to do was to get a bit of a head-ache  ;D in reconciling all that information.

Mind you, it is not that the stuff out there is written poorly...at least the things I have looked at are pretty good with the author(s) attempting to do a good job of explaining the behind-the-scenes stuff. For example, take a peek at KO's "how-to" page (https://lvzuufx.blogspot.ca/search?q=porting+to+os/2), great stuff.

Anyways...yeah, count me in, but please consider that we pretty much have all been pushed into the YUM/RPM thing and that certainly adds an extra layer of complexity.

Hi Darius,

My aim is to build an app by running 'build appname' , that's all!. Just need to get my toolchain uptodate before attempting more complicated apps.

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 01:05:18 am »
Most of the current source code is in the ports SVN repository at Netlabs, with some at github. Generally these sources are already patched for OS/2 and should build out of the box. Our toolchain is also much better then it was back in the day, though there is still divergence, eg KOMH's toolchain vs the ports/RPM toolchain.
Unluckily, due to lack of fixes pushed upstream, many projects such as perl have removed OS/2 support.

John Poltorak

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 07:10:12 am »
Most of the current source code is in the ports SVN repository at Netlabs, with some at github. Generally these sources are already patched for OS/2 and should build out of the box. Our toolchain is also much better then it was back in the day, though there is still divergence, eg KOMH's toolchain vs the ports/RPM toolchain.
Unluckily, due to lack of fixes pushed upstream, many projects such as perl have removed OS/2 support.

Are the patches available separately?

As for Perl, I built 5.8.0 virtually out of the box, but a later version such as 5.10.1 which does include OS/2 patches and README.os2 doesn't. I think you managed to build it... do you remember what you did?

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 08:06:29 am »

Are the patches available separately?

Paul probably has the patches as well as KOMH having his own set. SVN, or in KOMH's case, Github, should also have the history available.
As for Perl, I built 5.8.0 virtually out of the box, but a later version such as 5.10.1 which does include OS/2 patches and README.os2 doesn't. I think you managed to build it... do you remember what you did?

It's been too long to remember and looking, I don't seem to have any records unless they're on the old mailing list.