Author Topic: TRAP0003 in module: JFS  (Read 209 times)

Pete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
    • View Profile
TRAP0003 in module: JFS
« on: August 10, 2017, 01:43:42 am »
Hi All

I've had a couple of these traps recently and have no idea of the cause; had 2 today while reading newsgroups using Seamonkey.

Looking at a document, TRAPS.PDF, I see a trap0003 is
   0003 Breakpoint (one byte INT 3 instruction)
which means very little to me.

Is this a driver problem or something the driver encounters? - and how do I rectify the problem?

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 98
    • View Profile
Re: TRAP0003 in module: JFS
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 02:16:30 am »
The breakpoint is usually a debugging instruction though there are exceptions such as in the SeaMonkey code, a lot of OOM (out of memory errors) crashes will trigger a breakpoint, which will show in the resulting trp file. I believe in that case it is to avoid a security issue.
In the case of JFS, I've seen them periodically, could be caused by disk/file system corruption or just a problem in the driver. I often saw them when accessing a USB drive and for a while could reproduce them when reading my FAT formatted camera. They went away at some point, not sure why.

Andy Willis

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 02:19:16 am »
An INT3 condition generally beans the code is hitting an unexpected code path when encountered in non debug builds.
If this is Arca Noae code then make sure it is the latest version and if it occurs with the latest version of JFS then open a ticket.
One other thing to check, make sure unicode.sys is loaded before JFS.IFS. 

Pete

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 03:28:16 am »
Hi Andy

Yes, unicode.sys is before JFS.IFS in the config.sys file.
Yes, it is Arca code, bldlevel reports 1.09.07 which I think is the latest.

I am wondering if these traps could be caused by Seamonkey 2.35 failing to start properly - sometimes Seamonkey appears on screen but has hung and has to be killed. I am guessing there is the possibility of filesystem corruption at that time and Dave points out  filesystem corruption could be a cause of a TRAP0003.

Next time it happens I will take a screen snap and post a bug report at Arca.

Thanks

Pete