Author Topic: Wow, that speeds things up  (Read 294 times)

Pete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
    • View Profile
Wow, that speeds things up
« on: August 12, 2017, 02:55:26 am »
Hi All

I have just spent a little time getting my Windows7 disk and my 3 OS/2 boot volumes transferred from a SATA3 drive to a 120Gb SSD - for OS/2 read eCS2.1, eCS2.2beta2 and ArcaOS5.0.

I used the DFSee option Copy disk to disk to copy the Windows7 installation to the SSD. As the Windows7 installation was the whole of an 80Gb SATA drive with LVM info this caused a bit of a problem in that OS/2 systems could then only see the 80Gb Windows7 volume and no free space. Thankfully Jan, of DFSee fame, was able to tell me how to correct that problem.

As 3 OS/2 boot volumes and Windows7 left around 30Gb of free space I decided to move my OS/2 Applications volume to SSD as well.

That has reduced bootup times for all operating systems by around 33% and the startup times for Seamonkey, OpenOffice, PMView, and probably all(?) apps untested so far, to near instant.

Well worth the little hassle involved in changing from hard disk to SSD  :-)

Regards

Pete

R.M. Klippstein

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Wow, that speeds things up
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 06:48:26 pm »
Hey Pete, How are you doing? fwiw I also updated to a Samsung SSD ,  and an AMD FX8350 processor in honor of stepping up to ArcaOS. I run only ArcaOS as Host and Windows 7 and SuSE Linux 13.2 as VBox Guests. In the past, Windows 7 was slow and Linux was unbearably slow, now I have the same pleasant experience you enjoy. They both run acceptably fast, and I no longer need to boot up to either Windows or Linux. FINALLY!

klipp