Author Topic: Steve Wendt's ArcaOS Arcticle  (Read 549 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 30
    • View Profile
Steve Wendt's ArcaOS Arcticle
« on: August 12, 2017, 10:29:37 am »
I would just like to thank Steve for this article. It is of such a good quality and it is full of Information. The same goes for his "New and rumours page".

Thumbs up!   :)

Regarding ArcaOS 5.01 I can see it works like a charm here.

Especially on the PC I just assembeld -> http://www.os2.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1234 (German, please use Onlinetranslator)

The installations went flawlessly even with the SATA SSD, 16GB of RAM and all the other stuff. Arcanoae did really a well Job - and looking at the new files they just released there is very promising ongoing work!

SNAP is one Thing I mentioned there as well, and because of having Problems with the Onbaord chipset graphic of the Mainboard I did choose one without -> having SNAP no working very well!

One Problem is that SNAP is working with a Maximum of 4 (5kernels by others) kernel, that has been fixed by Holger Veith's Kernels, I hope his modifications have been/can be intecrated in the ArcaOS Kernel. They may have been in 14.201 - I do not know, haven't had a look into this so far.
Some more Information about this some time ago here: http://www.os2.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11 (German, please use online translator)

One Problem rised with ACPI 3.22.06: when I use Holger Veiths Kernel 14.112SMP the ACPI Driver Shows during boot: "unsupported kernel" but goes through. But it is only working in single core mode. Well, that's a Special Problem for me I guess. ;)

I would appreciate to have a working UNIAUD, that would make Things much more usable.

So - great Jobs by ArcaNoae and everyone involved - and Steve Wendt!

Valery Sedletski

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Wendt's ArcaOS Arcticle
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:10:47 pm »
2SIgurd Fastenrath: Where these Holger Veith's kernels can be found? Is there a homepage?

Andreas Schnellbacher

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 09:21:47 pm »
Where these Holger Veith's kernels can be found?
I suppose that the most recent non-experimental one is included in ArcaOS 5.0 or 5.0.1.

Pete

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 01:54:20 am »
Hi Sigurd

I enjoyed reading Steves article as it is always encouraging to see that some people have a lot less hassle getting a working installation of ArcaOS than I have had with trying installations to various systems  :-)

Regarding acpi v3.23.06 - which is the version I think you mean - I can only say that it seems to work fine with the Arca os2krnl 14.201 and it does state in the acpi readme:-

This software will run with full functionality on the following kernels:
  Arca Noae 14.201 SMP Retail
  Arca Noae 14.104b SMP Debug

The readme also states limited functionality with earlier kernels, 14.104 and up.

I discovered that trying to use acpi 3.23.06 with the 14.200 kernel does not work well with regard to high IRQs - I think above IRQ32 - and was about to post a bug report when I saw that 14.201 had been released which when installed resolved the high IRQ problem here.

Have you investigated the uniaud website to see if there are later, possibly working, packages? - http://trac.netlabs.org/uniaud

Regards

Pete

Valery Sedletski

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 02:24:24 am »
2Andreas Schnellbacher: Latest kernels -- yes, but I mean the complete build archive, to find kernels with versions like 14.112.

Andi B.

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:33:37 am »
Where these Holger Veith's kernels can be found?
I suppose that the most recent non-experimental one is included in ArcaOS 5.0 or 5.0.1.
No.

Holger patches various things but his versions are not available to the public. Maybe he send you his version for tests if you politely ask. But it's nothing which is supported by AN.

Privat opinion. I don't speak for AN though.