Author Topic: Printer advice.  (Read 13052 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Printer advice.
« on: November 25, 2017, 09:21:20 pm »
I have been trying to get my Brother HL-3150CDW network laser printer to work with OS/2 and ArcaOS (at the moment if I want to print I send the print jobs through an XP VM).

There are a set of Linux drivers available for both CUPS and LPR but so far I have not been able to get either of them to work directly.  CUPS says it has created the necessary settings but has never produced a print, not even the test print.

I assume that I have missed some step in the process but having tried several times with slightly different results obtained depending on how I put the Linux drivers relative to the PPD but the final result is the same - no print.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Edit:
I forgot to add that I put together a Linux box and it prints with CUPS from there.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:23:27 pm by ivan »

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
Re: Printer advice.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 12:16:34 am »
I set up newer HP-lasers to use SLPR and one of the PS3 drivers supplied with eCS/AOS.
(Haven't had the need to try Cups yet.)
No experience with Brother but it seems to support PostScript3.

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 01:12:46 am »
Brothers' MFC-L8850CDW, a multifunction color printer, scanner and fax machine, has worked well for me under eCS 2.2 beta II and Arca Noae  (eCS for many a year).  Brother provides an excellent PScript 3 driver that works well when imported into eCS and Arca Noae.   One may print to it wirelessly using SLPR.  One can print in color and in duplex.  MFC-L8850CDW's scanner can be operated via a browser.  I have never used the fax function.

ak120

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 02:19:44 am »
I have been trying to get my Brother HL-3150CDW network laser printer to work with OS/2 and ArcaOS (at the moment if I want to print I send the print jobs through an XP VM).
So you have already a workaround.

There are a set of Linux drivers available for both CUPS and LPR but so far I have not been able to get either of them to work directly.  CUPS says it has created the necessary settings but has never produced a print, not even the test print.
It's the same GS filter for both - binary only for x86 linux. So you should check compatibility with your Linux.

Edit:
I forgot to add that I put together a Linux box and it prints with CUPS from there.
You can create virtual PS queue on this box (and activate LPR client support) to use it for OS/2 clients or whatever. The client systems no longer need a model specific printer driver and can use a standard PS printer driver. The whole CUPS garbage under OS/2 can be thrown away and will no longer be required at all. And also DOS/Win-OS/2 applications will print again using the Adobe PS Printer Driver or similar solutions. A trendy solution would be a Port driver using the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) to communicate natively with CUPS on Linux. For only one network segment CUPS is overkill, almost every UNIX operator would prefer the LPR(NG) way.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 10:37:18 pm »
I have been trying to get my Brother HL-3150CDW network laser printer to work with OS/2 and ArcaOS (at the moment if I want to print I send the print jobs through an XP VM)...

I took a quick peek at the Brother printer specs page, I thought it maybe a younger sibliing to my HL-5470DW I have here. However, I do not see PS support anywhere on your model, and the Brother page does say "Emulations - GDI (host based)", which I believe means the majority of work is done by the printer drivers on the OS.

If you think this is not correct let me know, I'm happy to share how my Brother printer is setup. It works here, a couple specific things are not supported or cause error with the PSCRIPT and PSPRINT drivers, so I just avoid these.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 10:32:56 am »
Hi Dariusz,

I changed that for the HL-3170CDW which does have the BrScript 3 emulation (postscript 3) and now I have to get it working over the wired network here at home.

Any help you can give will be gratefully accepted.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 03:22:51 pm »
Hi ivan,

...I changed that for the HL-3170CDW which does have the BrScript 3 emulation (postscript 3) and now I have to get it working over the wired network here at home....

OK, that's great news, you should be able to get this thing up and running pretty quick, although I'm not sure about the handling of the colour given that my 5470DW is a B&W laser only.

So here are the setups I currently have in-place, all these relate to the Printer=>Properties window:

1) OUTPUT PORT (field names below match the dialog-box you will see)
LPD server = static IP I assigned to my printer
LPD printer = BINARY_P1

Port name = SLPR1
Print Timeout = 60 secs

Performance = LPRPORTD Compatible (I was never able to get the 'High Performance' setup working)

2) PRINTER DRIVER
2i  => PSCRIPT
I used the IBM PSCRIPT v 30.800 driver here, but first I imported the 5470DW PPD file into that driver. This allowed me to have the various printer specific features available in the printer driver. This is also where I ran into some problems, especially around the print resolution. For example, trying to use HQ1200 always caused PSCRIPT driver to crash. So by default, I have my printer set to 1200. I simply like my high-quality print and using 600 just doesn't appeal.

2ii => PSPRINT
I also setup the PSPRINT driver, similar setups to PSCRIPT, my goal here was to find out if the changes Alex included in PSPRINT would create a better result. This, amongs other things, allows your print jobs to include fonts (support for embedded TrueType fonts) with each output.

I did not see much difference, as a result, I am using the IBM PSCRIPT driver nearly 100% of the time.

OK, so the above is the general, somewhat high-level review. Search for 'HL-5470DW' in the forum posts and you will find the detailed description of what I did to import the PPD driver. No sense repeating that here again, if you do not find it let me know.

The only other thing I would add is: if you are going to setup the Cloud printing option, make sure you supply a DNS entry in the printer setups. I missed this and that was a PITA...of course each device which connects to the network needs this, and I've done this many times, yet somehow when it came to the printer I missed that step...LOL!

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 03:49:55 pm »
I don't know if the original poster has problems with Manage Printers or with Cups, but on both of these, defects cause them to crash rather than configure my printer. Both products work just fine with my printer on eComStation.

I reported the Manage Printers bug, and various defects were fixed on both the front end in Manage Printers and on the back end in Cups. I don't think any of these fixes have been released at this point.

With the fixes, I can print LPR, but Cups still crashes. Printing is so intricate under the covers that I have not had time to file a bug report. What is a little scary is that the close examination of my Cups support shows that support for my printer is kind of broken, even on Macintosh. Sure enough, there are problems there, too. Oddly, IOS seems to get the printer right every time.

People want printing to be simple, but expressing the printer capabilities in a PPD offers plenty of room for errors. I don't know how to find errors in the PPD, nor do I have any idea how to report an error in Cups. Even if I did, what are the chances of getting a bug fix during the printer's lifetime? What I'd really like is some interactive program to query the printer and construct/test the PPD.

We are definitely ready for a replacement for Cups.

I appreciate that many printers do work on ArcaOS. I'm hoping that for the 5.02 release, my printer (HP M252dw) will be supported for LPR.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

ak120

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 04:33:12 pm »
I changed that for the HL-3170CDW
The required PPD file is well hidden. But it could be made available for OS/2 following this four simple steps:
  • Download the file Y12E_C1-ps-32-120-de.EXE from Brother's support site (100K)
  • Transform this self extracting Win32 archive to a usual Zip archive (The PKZIP shipped with WSEB/CP can do it.)
  • Now you have to decompress the file brp3170e.pp_ (External tool required.)
  • Change the codepage of the PPD to your system codepage for usage with the OS/2 drivers

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 05:19:09 pm »
Thanks Dariusz and Andreas,

I used the  Y12E_C1-ps-32-120-en.EXE to extract the ppd and changed  LanguageEncoding to *LanguageEncoding: OS2-850 which I think is the correct value (see attachment).

Now to have fun with pin.exe which I haven't used for years and see if everything works as expected but that is a project for tomorrow.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 06:10:56 pm »
...Now to have fun with pin.exe which I haven't used for years and see if everything works as expected but that is a project for tomorrow...

Yeah, PIN was pretty good to work with...just read the docs. I went through this process repeatedly as I attempted to identify what was killing my PSCRIPT drivers.

Previously I had a Brother HL-1650 Postscript printer, so if anything that made it a tad easier trying to decipher the PPD formatting.

I've attached the HL-1650, the OEM HL-5470DW and the modified HL-5470DW PPDs in case you want somethign to look at. I also included the official 'PostScript Printer Description File Format Specification, v4.3' PDF, this really helped with understanding of the PPD encodings.

ak120

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 08:20:06 pm »
Thanks Dariusz and Andreas,

I used the  Y12E_C1-ps-32-120-en.EXE to extract the ppd and changed  LanguageEncoding to *LanguageEncoding: OS2-850 which I think is the correct value (see attachment).
But your attachment downloaded from here has a different encoding. Please check if your ppd text file extracted from the Windows drivers uses codepage 850 or 1252. Under Windows you should translate cp1252 text files to cp858 before enabling this setting.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 09:49:13 pm »
I have a question, why did you decide to advise a windows driver? Instead of using a linux ppd.
I have always had better results with linux ppd
saludos

ak120

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 10:48:35 pm »
I have a question, why did you decide to advise a windows driver? Instead of using a linux ppd.
Sorry, but a PostScript Printer Description is not a Windows driver. The strange packaging by some vendors is not my fault. Further it's quite simple, you don't have take to care of line breaks and a wrong codepage of the text file. And it has already the right "LanguageEncoding: OS2-850" btw.

-----removed-----
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:33:15 am by Martin Iturbide »

ak120

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 01:54:34 am »
Sorry for the confusion, now I see what you have done with the PPD. I didn't made a statement to change the file's content. The original PPD file is in ANSI codepage 1252 and should be converted to OEM codepage 858 or 850. You can use the editor of FC/2 or a similar tool for this task.
Here the french ppd file converted to CP850 - I hope this webserver will not change the codepage inside a zip archive. Uploading plain text files for this topic is a lead balloon.