Author Topic: Experimental build of SeaMonkey  (Read 59894 times)

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Experimental build of SeaMonkey
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 08:56:32 pm »
Hi Dave

No starting with /safe-mode makes no difference to Seamonkeys ability to play youtube videos or even load the page fully - when selecting a vid only the playback window with the Menu button, Play button next to text YouTube and search entry field appear on the page; nothing else at all.

I have checked the RPM_REQUIREMENTS and have everything up to date with the exceptions of:-

1] bww-resources-rpm-1.1.0-3.oc00.noarch - I think this is a bitwise icons update that I may get around to installing but should not be necessary to run an app

2] libc-devel-0.6.6-35.oc00.i686 - Why is this needed? - No plans on development using these tools myself. Surely it is not needed to run apps?

Regards

Pete

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 09:25:57 pm »
 I'm also seeing strange behavior with SeaMonkey and YouTube. If I go to the main YouTube page (www.youtube.com) everything looks OK, click on any video, the video page comes up with all comments and right side links like normal, but the video has a message: 'An error occurred. Please try again later.' and won't play. Then hit the 'reload' icon, get the video window, the YouTube search bar at the top and nothing else, but a 'waiting for...' message in the status bar. Now if I type 'Warpstock' in the YouTube search bar, I get a page with a bunch of videos from various Warpstocks and all of them play! So my guess is that videos with advertisements are somehow exposing a problem in SeaMonkey (since the Warpstock videos don't have any - somewhat unusual). Maybe can't handle some kind of network re-direction?

Similar situation with Firefox, but after installing the H264ify add-on in Firefox none of these problems exist. When I get some time, I'll run Wireshark with and without H264ify and see if anything interesting crops up....

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2017, 02:51:57 am »
Hi Pete,

2] libc-devel-0.6.6-35.oc00.i686 - Why is this needed? - No plans on development using these tools myself. Surely it is not needed to run apps?...

Like you, I have no current DEV plans, so I ignored this install, my FF 45.9 works fine here. Just to re-iterate, this FF only experience...

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2017, 03:01:53 am »
Hi

@Dariusz
Thanks for confirming package is not required for Firefox; I think that also applies to Seamonkey.

@David
As I have now managed to get some videos playing I suspect you may have a valid point about "videos  with advertisements are somehow exposing a problem in SeaMonkey". How do I tell if the video should play an advert though?

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2017, 03:59:41 am »
Here's h264ify converted for SeaMonkey. It installed here but it needs testing on Youtube.
Drag'n'drop on the add-ons page.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2017, 05:03:35 am »
BTW, a site worth bookmarking for SeaMonkey users, http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/.
Which is what I used to convert h264ify

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2017, 12:28:19 pm »
 Hi Pete,

The only way I have to check for an advertisement is try the same video with a windows install (I use my laptop). Obviously I haven't seen them all, but the ones I get an ad in Windows don't play in OS/2. So far, all non-ad videos I've run across do play in OS/2. But H264ify seems to play them all (so far..) including ads.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2017, 12:34:01 pm »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the H264ify converter for SeaMonkey! Where did you get the XPI file? Was going to do the conversion myself, but couldn't locate where to download the file - the website wanted to install directly, but wouldn't allow doing that with SeaMonkey...

ak120

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2017, 12:50:32 pm »
BTW, a site worth bookmarking for SeaMonkey users, http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/.
Which is what I used to convert h264ify
For users it should be easier to use the AMO add-on.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2017, 04:29:36 pm »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the H264ify converter for SeaMonkey! Where did you get the XPI file? Was going to do the conversion myself, but couldn't locate where to download the file - the website wanted to install directly, but wouldn't allow doing that with SeaMonkey...

I just searched for it and got a page at Mozilla add-ons which listed older versions.
Unluckily with the changes at Mozilla and them kicking SeaMonkey and Thunderbird off their infrastructure, sooner or later it is going to get hard to find some of these extensions.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2017, 12:13:15 am »
Hi Dave

Thanks for the h264ify package - seems to have resolved most playback problems here in that all videos I have tried played. Most stop with the buffering indicator onscreen after a short period but can often be nudged on a little and then play.

Regards

Pete

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2017, 01:04:03 am »
 Pete!

Yes, I see that buffering indicator issue too.... weird...

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2017, 10:44:20 am »
I have bad news with the H264 .., in my case the whole system hangs up. For a moment it seems that it does not show the error in videos, but soon after it takes place.
I think maybe it could be because I'm not using the arca sound drivers, but some older version.
Would someone tell me, how can I make a copy of the firefox password, to pass them from one profile to another?
saludos

ak120

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2017, 02:06:31 pm »
I don't know exactly the date but YT changed their player in October. This h264ify is not a real solution because it still keeps the ytplayer and does not replace ytplayer by internal mechanism. It only disables the VP8/9 capability reporting - not a real extension but more restrictions. Unfortunately with the YT changes older addons (HTML5 Video Everywhere!) that provided a workaround in those situations can no longer be utilised. Newer versions switched to WebExtensions (Fx57) which is not supported by seamonkey. A possible solution could be to take the Jewtube filter changes from the newer version and adopt them in a compatible add-on version. The users should better a ask the author of this particular extension. This side issues become boring by time.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2017, 04:15:33 am »
I think I found the problem with playing VP9 YouTube videos, please disable h264ify and test this build, https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/seamonkey-2.42.9esr.en-US.os2_exp2.zip. Seems to work here though not the smoothest experience on my old computer. No special optimizing, built to target i686 with GCC 510.