Author Topic: How to deinstal ACPI driver?  (Read 8971 times)

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
How to deinstal ACPI driver?
« on: May 14, 2018, 09:45:04 am »
At the moment, I am runniny my computer in "modern hardware, safe mode" (without ACPI driver). Now a new ACPI version has been shipped as a WPI file. In the case of failure, I cannot boot anymore and cannot start the WPI file again to deinstal. I could not found a deinstallation documentation how to deinstal from another ArcaOS boot drive (I have not exeuted the WPI file yet.) Is it sufficient to restore the old CONFIG.SYS ?

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
Re: How to deinstal ACPI driver?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 09:57:49 am »
At the moment, I am runniny my computer in "modern hardware, safe mode" (without ACPI driver). Now a new ACPI version has been shipped as a WPI file. In the case of failure, I cannot boot anymore and cannot start the WPI file again to deinstal. I could not found a deinstallation documentation how to deinstal from another ArcaOS boot drive (I have not exeuted the WPI file yet.) Is it sufficient to restore the old CONFIG.SYS ?
Just compare the config.sys from before the WPI installation with the one after. And you will see that not much is changes. IIRC removing (remark) the acpi.psd is all you need.
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:45:34 am »
The new ACPI driver indeed works, I have no problems. In my Config.sys, the line
PSD=ACPI.PSD
has been added by WPI installation.

But I see no difference between before and after installation. It is still only one processor shown. (Pulse "CPU count: 1")
(Is there another entry in the CONFIG.SYS for this?)

The /SMP parameter described here does not work.
http://www.edm2.com/index.php/ACPI.PSD
While booting, there comes an error message: unknown parameter.

I have installed the 3.23.09 version.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 05:29:24 pm »
1) The EDM artictle is grossly outdated. Most of the listed params are no longer valid. Read ACPI.INF which comes with the ACPI installation. It lists the valid parameters.

2) are you sure that you are actually using a SMP kernel ? You should run "bldlevel OS2KRNL" in your root dir. The output should contain something like "SMP".

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 06:43:27 pm »
I have installed ArcaOS 5.0.2 on a new computer (AM4 Ryzen 2200 G with four processors and integrated graphics).

Code: [Select]
Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
Signature:       @#IBM:14.200#@_W4  IBM OS/2 Kernel
Vendor:          IBM
Revision:        14.200
File Version:    14.200
Description:     _W4  IBM OS/2 Kernel

Is SMP part of ArcaOS 5.0.2? Can I install it? Is it installed when not selecting "modern hardware, safe mode'"?

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 09:53:31 pm »
I fear/assume that the chosen pre-instal menu setting "modern hardware, safe mode" installs the W4 and not the SMP kernel, and there's no way to update my system without reinstalling it?

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 10:07:52 pm »
I fear/assume that the chosen pre-instal menu setting "modern hardware, safe mode" installs the W4 and not the SMP kernel, and there's no way to update my system without reinstalling it?

What  you need is  just to replace os2krnl  and doscall1.dll with SMP versions.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 11:25:41 pm »
You need to look in ArcsOS DVD and then open cid\server\arcapkg\smpfiles.zip 

In there you will find the necessary minimum smp files - the remaining files are in the root of the acpi3.23.09.wpi and should have been replaced when you installed it.

You will need to change the read only and hidden attributes on the os2kernl, os2ldr.* in the root of the boot partition otherwise you won't be able to replace them (ATTRIB -r -h <boot dir>\os2* )

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 11:59:32 pm »
Can I use a file manager like Larsen Commander (showing hidden files) to replace the files? In DOS age, there were problems doing that.

I have discovered that in the \OS2\INSTALL directory, there are W4 and SMP subdirectories where I can simply copy the files to the root.

I have got a second ArcaOS installation which I do not use for daily work. I will test it there and report here tomorrow.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 12:22:42 am »
I use FileFreedom like you do Larsen Commander so there shouldn't be any problems but you will have to remove the read only flag.

Don't forget the *.tdf files go into \os2\system\trace and harderr.exe goes into \os2\system

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 09:47:17 am »
Thank you for all your hints. I had to copy
- os2krnl
- doscall1.dll
- *.tdf files go into \os2\system\trace (save the old ones into another directory!)
(the other files discussed like harderr.exe are identical)

then I restarted. For the moment, only 1 processor is shown. But after installing the 3.23.09 version, all 4 processors are shown and all seem to work fine.

But the CPU fan volume has increased now. It seems that I need the correct APM settings. I think this thread is finished and I will start a new one. Now it seems that I have got full support on my new AM4 board with Ryzen G APU processor.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 11:12:35 am »
Good.  I have one of those boards arriving tomorrow.

The reason the CPU fan is working harder is the CPU is now working rather than loafing along on one processor.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 12:47:35 pm »
The reason the CPU fan is working harder is the CPU is now working rather than loafing along on one processor.

Yes, that's now also my impression. Fan control definitely works. I will play with the ACPID.CFG settings the next days.

Anyway, I'm now quite happy with my new board (ASUS B350M-A) Besides SNAP (of course) all seems to work now. Only the installation was not so easy.

Two simple batch files which have to run not in the OS which has to be changed would be useful. I don't know now if the installation problem (need to use "modern hardware, safe mode") is because of the old 3.23.08 version or because it does not work when installing even 3.23.09 is installed.

Anyway, I think a default base install with a more comfortable post-install program (or simple batch files) would be useful. Even Windows 10 only installs a base support and you have to post-install chipset drivers and graphic card support.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 01:34:08 pm »
You yourself chose the wrong "default base install". "Modern hardware, safe mode" was the wrong choice for you.
I cannot exactly remember the wording but "Modern hardware, ACPI based" or such would have been the correct choice for you.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 06:52:44 pm »
You yourself chose the wrong "default base install". "Modern hardware, safe mode" was the wrong choice for you.
I cannot exactly remember the wording but "Modern hardware, ACPI based" or such would have been the correct choice for you.

But it hangs while booting from USB stick. It did not find the iso file on the USB stick. It was the same error message like using an USB 3.0 slot for the ArcaOS USB install stick. Only "Safe mode" together with a USB 2.0 PCIe card did work.