Author Topic: APM (Power management) settings optimization ACPID.CFG  (Read 5678 times)

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
APM (Power management) settings optimization ACPID.CFG
« on: May 15, 2018, 10:01:01 am »
I managed to install the SMP kernel and ACPI (see thread     
How to deinstal ACPI driver?) https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1759.0.html.

But now the CPU fan makes much more noise than before. It seems that the halt functionality (Pulse CPU load 0,0%) works fine, but if the CPU load increases over 0,0%, the processor energy consumption goes to maximum when pulse shows values only little higher than 0,0%.

There is a file c:\mptn\etc\acpid.cfg.sample which I have copied to c:\acpid.cfg and I have added this filename behind RUN=C:\OS2\ACPIDAEMON.EXE in the config.sys.

There are different settings described in the file c:\sys\doc\acpi\psd_en.inf, page "Power Manager Settings".

I have tried these settings:

Code: [Select]
; MinPower is the minimum power level for energy saving (13 - 100), default=25
MinPower = 13

; IncIfAbove is the CPU load above which CPU power is increased (1-100), default=25
IncIfAbove = 75

; DecIfBelow is the CPU load below which CPU power is decreased (1-100), default=15
DecIfBelow = 65

But this makes no remarkable effect. I assume that my problem ist that the CPU can only distinguish between HALT and Maximum. Any ideas?

ivan

• View Profile
Re: APM (Power management) settings optimization ACPID.CFG
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 11:26:38 am »
Did you try with the default settings?  If so do they give the same results?

Since Intel CPUs use a different throttling mechanism to AMD and a lot of ACPI is based on Intel code there may be a problem of it working especially with the latest AMD Ryzen processors.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 04:15:40 pm »
As Ivan says, ArcaOS's ACPI probably doesn't currently support fan speed and throttling on your board. Even a lot of Intel boards don't seem to be totally supported.
Is there any settings in your BIOS under power that'll help?

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 06:59:34 pm »
Meanwhile, all works acceptable. At the moment, I have chosen the acpid.cfg settings:

IncIfAbove = 75
DecIfBelow = 60
IdleCount = 5

But I wonder that the FAN speed increases simultaneously with the CPU load. So it seems the CPU fan is not temparature controlled, it seems to be controlled directly by the CPU. It is a little annoying that you can always hear the CPU load.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 11:06:06 pm »
The way I am reading your it quickly you used the throttle option. Be very careful with this as is written in the manual of the PSD!

WARNING: THROTTLING IS NOT RECOMMENDED The PSD has other mechanisms for reducing power consumption and reducing temperature. Throttling the CPU in combination with these other mechanisms can actually increase power consumption and increase the processor temperature. Throttling the CPU can also cause other problems such as reboot failures, power off failures, etc. If you are using CPU throttling and have any (even seemingly unrelated) problems, disable throttling. Remember, THROTTLING IS NOT RECOMMENDED and is known to cause problems. Use it at your own risk.

What is the make and model of this system BTW ?

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 12:04:47 am »
I have got an AM4 Board Asus B350M-A with Ryzen 2200 G.

I have only changed the 3 settings above.