Author Topic: REGEDIT2 export & import  (Read 14206 times)

xynixme

REGEDIT2 export & import
« on: December 07, 2018, 01:50:15 am »
Is exporting and importing new settings (actually creating one file, to be imported per new install) safe and simple indeed?

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: REGEDIT2 export & import
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 02:46:15 am »
Import and Export worked very well for me. I used it to backup and restore Virtual PC for OS/2 settings, which are stored in the Win32 Registry.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 08:14:00 am »
Is exporting and importing new settings (actually creating one file, to be imported per new install) safe and simple indeed?

It depends on what you are messing with. Most of the time, adding new stuff will be pretty safe, but changing existing stuff could get you into trouble, unless you understand exactly what you are doing. There are probably better ways to do things like that. I would likely use REXX to do it, myself.

xynixme

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 11:09:54 am »
I would likely use REXX to do it, myself.

How? And to check settings, or to set settings?

The goal will probably almost matches Neil's. I've got two versions of an Acrobat Reader 4, with a few slightly different DLLs. Innotek's embedded one, and a stand-alone one. In this case I'ld like to replace the stand-alone files by Innotek's. So an eCS 1.x install has two identical copies with identical (DLL) files, and a rare OS/2 Warp 4 install or ArcaOS 6 without an Acrobat Reader 4 still has a stand-alone Acrobat Reader 4 with a single copy of those files. So e.g. install scripts can always use that single copy, which is always there, while I don't mind that the conditional embedded copy is the default one. Checking if Innotek's in installed is not the prefered solution. Innotek's version should report its missing settings, AFAICT, so it's not a matter of importing *.* and hope nothing is broken.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 08:36:28 pm »
How? And to check settings, or to set settings?

Look up the SysINI command in the REXX documentation. It will check, and set, the entries.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 06:34:12 am »
I assume that since Andre is talking about Regedit2 he is talking editing the registry. I think SysIni in Rexx is for editing profiles, i.e. INI files.

I don't know of an OS/2 Rexx function or extention that modifies the registry - which doesn't mean that one doesn't exist.

I do know that Regina Rexx for Windows has a function package that will modify registry entries. I suppose you could run that in OS/2 using ODIN, although I have not tried that. I have run it in Windows and it works well.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 06:56:39 am »
I assume that since Andre is talking about Regedit2 he is talking editing the registry. I think SysIni in Rexx is for editing profiles, i.e. INI files.

Exactly. That is also what Regedit does.

I don't know of an OS/2 Rexx function or extention that modifies the registry - which doesn't mean that one doesn't exist.

Look up the SysINI function.

I do know that Regina Rexx for Windows has a function package that will modify registry entries. I suppose you could run that in OS/2 using ODIN, although I have not tried that. I have run it in Windows and it works well.

Why not use Regina REXX for OS/2? It does exist, although it may be an older version. Search for it at HOBBES.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 02:54:36 am »
Can you show an example of how SysIni can access the Windows Registry? I use SysIni all the time for OS/2 ini file access, but I'm unfamiliar with it's use for the Windows Registry. If I try to use SysIni on USER.DAT, it just returns ERROR:

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 06:27:41 am »
Sorry, I guess I missed that the OP wants to modify windows registry items.

Some years ago, I looked into that. I have a note that says you need a support module called "REXXIO" Where you get that, I have no idea. It is mentioned at: http://www.edm2.com/index.php/REXXIO.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 07:55:34 am »

Some years ago, I looked into that. I have a note that says you need a support module called "REXXIO" Where you get that, I have no idea. It is mentioned at: http://www.edm2.com/index.php/REXXIO.

http://www.lestec.com.au/lestec/lestec.cgi

It looks like it is $14 to buy.

LesTecIO 4.0 - 257 Functions

LesTecIO contains most REXXIO REXX Input/Output functions and does not require MAID to be installed.
It is designed for people who require the functionality of REXXIO but do not need a GUI interface or do not have MAID installed. For details select a function.

V4.0 for Windows 7 Windows Vista Windows XP Windows 2000 Windows 95 Windows 98 Windows ME Windows NT 3.51 Windows NT 4.0
V3.1 for OS/2 2/0 or later (including OS/2 Warp 3.0, Warp Connect, Warp Server, and OS/2 Warp 4.0)

65 File Functions
14 Directory Functions
9 Search Functions
19 Window Functions
7 Keyboard/Mouse Event Functions
3 REXX Functions
5 Registry Functions
19 Global Stem Variable Functions
26 General Functions
9 Comms Functions
4 Event Functions
9 Internet Functions
54 Graphic Functions
7 Process Functions
2 Email Functions
5 Socket Functions

xynixme

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 05:13:17 pm »

Bad luck, but editing the registry with plain Rexx sounded too good to be true anyway. AFAIK even average users of Windows sometimes have to edit their registry manually.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 10:19:39 pm »
Andre,

What you actually need is a Rexx function package called w32util. Since that is compiled to work with Regina Rexx - as opposed to IBM Rexx - then you also need Regina Rexx for Windows and the associated RexxUtil package.

Although I have not tried it, I am guessing that Regina Rexx for windows will run in ODIN.

There was a short period of time when VAC++ 4.0 would not install on Windows 2000, so I made a little "installer" in order to install it. (That problem has been fixed and VAC++ 4.03 installs on Windows 7.) I have attached the script to show how to update the registry using Rexx and the w32util package.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 10:21:08 pm »
BTW Andre,

If you are going to use Acrobat, why Acrobat 4 and not Acrobat 5?

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 04:58:25 am »
The "sputils" REXX library also purports to support registry access. It's available on Hobbes and probably the other usual places.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 09:47:26 pm »
I used sputils.dll for my work with the Windows registry and Virtual PC for OS/2. It worked for my purposes.