Author Topic: Panorama question  (Read 5651 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Panorama question
« on: October 08, 2019, 09:56:32 pm »
Does anyone know of a way to make Panorama remember video settings if no monitor is available?

I have a backup computer that gets switched on once a month.  It shares one of my Samsung S24E650 1920x1200 monitors via a KVM switch with a couple of Linux computers.

If I remember to switch the KVM to the ArcaOS computer before I start the Computer all is well and it brings up the screen at 1920x1200.  If I forget to switch the screen reverts to 640x480 which is useless.

This brings me back to my question - is there a way of forcing Panorama to remember the correct 1920x1200 settings?  It just annoys me that I have no problem with the two Linux computers on the same KVM remembering the video settings even if not switched to the monitor at start up.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Panorama question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 02:33:04 am »
You could probably do it with Panoutil, run it without parameters to see its help.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 11:51:39 pm »
Thanks Dave, it does look as if it will do what I want.  Will try it out sometime in the next few weeks.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 04:58:05 pm »
OK, I tried Dave's suggestion but it only worked once.  The second time starting the backup computer the video settings were forgotten.  The question is 'is there a way of permanently setting the video resolution in Panorama?' 

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 08:33:33 pm »
The problem is that Panorama patches the video bios to enable the wide screen resolution, I assume during boot. If panoutil can't set Panorama to patch the bios every boot, you'd have to run it early during boot to do it. Not sure if a run statement in config.sys would work, otherwise it is remembering to tun on your monitor.
Linux works as it has a real driver rather then falling back to VESA.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 09:46:22 pm »
Hi Dave,

It sounds as if I will have to try and remember to switch the KVM to the backup computer before I turn it on.

Just wondering, since you know about these things, what would be required to convert the Linux Radeon Vega Graphics driver to run on our platform?  SNAP drivers did it for older Radeon chipsets so it should be possible - I might have to learn programming if it isn't in assembler.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 10:10:59 pm »
Hi Dave,

It sounds as if I will have to try and remember to switch the KVM to the backup computer before I turn it on.

Yes, that seems the simplest way

Just wondering, since you know about these things, what would be required to convert the Linux Radeon Vega Graphics driver to run on our platform?  SNAP drivers did it for older Radeon chipsets so it should be possible - I might have to learn programming if it isn't in assembler.

Well the big thing is the licensing incompatibility, The Linux driver is GPL and SNAP isn't with ArcaOS I believe only having a license for SNAP. Scitech used to get the graphics info from the manufacturer along with no disclosure agreements and such.
OTOH, there is a  small chance that the Vega driver would just work with XFree/2 but I'd expect unresolved symbols due to the age of our xserver.