Author Topic: ecs2.2 beta refresh  (Read 83655 times)

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
Re: ecs2.2 beta refresh
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2014, 03:49:06 am »
Hi Joseph

You may want to check what the output of unimix -list > mixer.txt shows (unimix.exe is a command line mixer which you should find in \MMOS2)....
Hope the above helps.

Pete

Having first checked the bios and then the OS/2 hardware manager I tried unimix.exe as follows with disappointing results.

[C:\]unimix.exe -list
Command line mixer for UNIAUD32. Version 1.1
Detected UNIAUD version 2.02.01
Detected 2 audio adapter(s)
Error: invalid number of PCM instances for adapter 0
Control list for adapter 0

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Joe

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2014, 10:41:35 am »
As you have two cards, you need a newer unimix. download latest driver from http://svn.netlabs.org/uniaud

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2014, 03:34:43 am »
Thanks for this advice Silvan.

The version of unimix.exe included in the most recent uniaud update package was created on 9/22/2010.  The version that shipped and installed with eCS beta 2.2 was created on 9/23/2013 and is thus three years newer.

The older version produced the following error message.
Command line mixer for UNIAUD32. Versio
Detected UNIAUD version 202.01
Error: invalid number of PCM instances

It seems as though I'm going to learn a bit more about uniaud.  Webpage http://trac.netlabs.org/uniaud states:
The latest beta version of Uniaud32 is 2.02.01 which is based on ALSA 1.0.24. This version has had very little testing. It is currently unknown if there are any problems with this version. Try it at your own risk and backup first
My version is the beta 2.02.01.  I may have to install an earlier stable version, say maybe: Uniaud32 v.1.9.26 

Should I install two sets of uniaud drivers, one for each on-board sound chip?

BTW: I tested it on an ASUS A88x-Plus motherboard and generally find eCS beta v2.2 much to my liking.

Can anyone tell what is a "PCM instance"? ;-)

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2014, 10:14:24 am »
Thanks for this advice Silvan.

The version of unimix.exe included in the most recent uniaud update package was created on 9/22/2010.  The version that shipped and installed with eCS beta 2.2 was created on 9/23/2013 and is thus three years newer.
Ok so latest beta seems to bring latest unimix.
What does your unimix -card show?

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2014, 03:47:05 am »
I had a moment to run the newer version of unimix on my ASUS A88X and this is the result:

Command line mixer for UNIAUD32. Version 1.1
Detected UNIAUD version 2.02.01
Detected 2 audio adapter(s)
Error: invalid number of PCM instances for adapter 0
Control list for adapter 0

[C:\]
As you can see unimix.exe properly identifies the version of uniaud32 that ships with  eCS v2.2 beta.  It detects the two on board audio "adapters".  Then it reports an error I do not understand.

Thanks

Joe

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2014, 06:03:21 am »
What options are in our BIOS about the sound? Here I can disable or enable sound and when sound is enabled I also get a choice of basic sound which I'm using or (forget the exact term) multi speaker sound which I've never tried and I doubt that our Uniaud would support it, possibly reporting the same PCM error due to the number of channels. Have to test at some point.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2014, 06:10:39 am »
The option I was thinking of is something like "High Definition Front Panel Support" and now testing having it enabled Uniaud still works here so that guess is wrong. Still you should double check your BIOS

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2014, 12:39:11 pm »
Thanks for entering the conversation Dave.

The eCS beta v2.2 is installed on an ASUS A88X-Plus and a MSI FM2-A75MA-P33.  Both motherboards use an AMD A10-6800K CPU with 4Gb of RAM.  No PCI or PCI-X cards have been installed on either board.  The on-board NICs work well, to my delight.  So does the on-board video.

Later today or this weekend I plan to methodically test all options such as swap in and try speakers that I know work on other devices.  I''ll systematically test all options on both motherboards with all BIOS options enabled and disabled. Yesterday however I physically tested sound on the front panel of the ASUS A88X and probed it with unimix.exe.  I tried front panel sound enabled and disabled.  I tried front panel AC97 sound enabled and HD sound enabled.  The system remained silent.

Do I read you response correctly Dave?  You have tested UNIUAD32 v2.02.01 on an ASUS A88X with front panel enabled for High Definition and you found that sound works?  Did you test it on a similar motherboard with High Definition enabled?   Should I focus on the High Definition BIOS option rather than the AC97 option?

Thanks for your time and answers you-all.

Joe

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2014, 04:18:40 pm »
Thanks for entering the conversation Dave.

Do I read you response correctly Dave?  You have tested UNIUAD32 v2.02.01 on an ASUS A88X with front panel enabled for High Definition and you found that sound works?  Did you test it on a similar motherboard with High Definition enabled?   Should I focus on the High Definition BIOS option rather than the AC97 option?

Thanks for your time and answers you-all.

Joe

I tested on an Intel board. I thought the High Definition option wouldn't work here but it did. Different sound chip from you and no HD option here.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2014, 01:56:08 am »
Is it possible to disable one of the sound chips in the bios? That's what I'd do as a start. Test both of them separately.

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2014, 06:55:57 pm »
Thanks again for your time gentlemen.

The uniaud-readme text provides troubleshooting instructions. 

LBMix gives an error message
Mixer API Initialization failed
  Recall unimix.exe didn't quite work either.  Uniaud32 /V at boot up provides the following information:
HD - Audio generic at 0xfeb44000 irq 18
Detected Mixer: ATI ID aa01
Hardware manager indicates two IRQs are assigned to one of the sound-chips (the 2nd).  The first sound-chip has no IRQ assigned.  Since the on-board USB controllers and the NIC also are assigned non-exclusive use of IRQ 18 I wonder whether there is an IRQ conflict.  The on-board NIC and USB controllers work but not the audio.  I'm going to check an eCS v2.1 installation where audio works but not a similar on-board NIC.  I may try to reset the IRQ but I'll read the ACPI help files first.    As I suspect this may be a hardware issue I'll swap out the beta UNIAUD36 v2.02.01 drivers for the stable older 1.0.21 version if and when other options fail.

I'm thinking that IRQ 12 or 15 might be good choices?

Thanks

Joe

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2014, 06:41:03 am »
In my limited experience the network card seems to fail first from IRQ conflicts. Previous box where my nic card worked for less then a minute was solved by moving the card to a different slot which gave it a different IRQ.
My current box and Warp 4, to get the builtin networking to work, I have to disable sound and the PATA (DVD) controller, otherwise I have sound and access to the DVD drive but no networking.
ECS 2.1 is better but sometimes after booting up the network only receives. Usually an power off reboot fixes it but sometimes it takes a couple of reboots and eventually it will stop working with the record being 2 weeks before it failed.
On my system there doesn't seem to be a way to change IRQs for the builtin stuff either.
With ACPI, there doesn't seem to be access to the low IRQs unless you use the /VW switch in which case you lose the high IRQs.

Simplest is to experiment, go into the BIOS and disable everything you can besides sound while still being able to boot and test. You can also disable drivers in config.sys but I find it easier and more sure to just disable in the BIOS and hit return during boot when a driver can't be loaded.

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2014, 01:09:18 pm »
I've had similar experiences with network cards, Dave.  It seems odd when Firefox, Opera and Slpr return error messages in eCS v2.0 or v2.1 and yet  browsers work in Windows XP running as guest in VPC in the same eCS v2.0 or v2.1 host.

I'll find time this week or next to read more of the ACPI help resource.  I want to give the eCS v2.2 and Uniaud32 v2.02.01 betas a thorough tryout. Going through the motherboard manuals and reconsidering jumper and bios options seems a good idea.  It is good to have the on-board NIC work and to know that new NIC drivers work with newer network devices.  Managing IRQs has always been tricky and I have used and unused old PCI OS/2 sound cards on hand  as a backup resource.

Thanks again all.  I'll report on my progress.

Joe

mickhead

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2014, 02:23:38 am »
Greetings:

How on installed 2.2 system are we shut off PNG icons?

Some person said to make the default size to normal yet see no affects.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2014, 04:41:37 am »
Greetings:

How on installed 2.2 system are we shut off PNG icons?

Some person said to make the default size to normal yet see no affects.

On a blank spot on the desktop, right mouse click. At the bottom to the menu, there is "Display". Expand that by clicking on the arrow. The top entry is "Default", which will be selected. Click that, and it will be deselected. Now, you can select "Normal", and the PNG icons will be off. To turn them back on, select "Default".