Author Topic: OS2World Common Fund 2014 - Open for Proposals  (Read 58080 times)

dbanet

Re: OS2World Common Fund 2014 - Open for Proposals
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2014, 11:29:33 am »
One question - was Pavel the developer of ACPI before David took over? Or do anyone know who it was?

Yes, Pasha was also developing ACPI until version 3.18.

He also is the author of NTFS.IFS. He says he would be glad to continue working on NTFS.IFS and add the support of writing data, but Mensys does not allow this.

dbanet

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2014, 11:32:28 am »
If someone is suddenly in doubt if Pasha is able to complete the work, then I remind you that the Fund's money would be transeffered to Pasha only after completing each stage.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2014, 01:56:45 pm »
If someone is suddenly in doubt if Pasha is able to complete the work, then I remind you that the Fund's money would be transeffered to Pasha only after completing each stage.

In my opinion: I would like to suggest the best to do is to wait until there are more informations about the new OS/2 company that is in the pipeline. Unless there is no further information about this project it is useless to discuss in wich way the community - or what is left of it - might support this or that project. First one needs to know the Roadmap and Agenda of the new OS/2 company.

My personal thoughts:

-> NEGATIV: well, the "old" (before David took over) ACPI was - in my opinion - really a waste of years, money and knowledge, as it never worked reliable - to say it clear - it was crap. Indeed it i.e. burned up one of my internal graphic chips in a Laptop. From what I have heard the Software was not well (to be honest) documented nor programmed. It was the main reason why eComStation failed. For Years.

-> NEUTRAL: what I assumed before has come to reality: eComStation IS dead (unfortunately).  :(  The only positive effect is that Developers like David and others might be willing to contribute to the new company - as far as I understand what I have read correctly, as I am not involved in this.

-> POSITIV: from what I have read and understand, almost all of those wich (from those wich are left) have a deeper knowledge of Programming, OS/2 and Project Management - will partitcipate in some way with the new OS/2 company. That gives a light at the end of the horizon, and in my opinion the last and only chance for OS/2 to be around at least for some more years.

So my suggestion is: Waiting for the Roadmap of the new OS/2 Company and concentrate all the remaining power and money into this new project, everything else will lead to nowhere....

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2014, 02:36:15 pm »

Martin, you described all except one. Why do I want to do right now is driver.   I'm still free from work and if it is this will work - I presume for it all the rest of postponing If not then I go and then have the result will be executed when the project is unknown.   if I'm going to work somewhere outside, I did not interested in your money. We have at least $ 1500 for programer at Month. But here need go to the house and programming to Windows or Linux. For discuss you have time to 4 june. Then I go to any programmers firms. I very like eat and beer :)

Hi Pavel

Sadly, OS2World can not make the decision on that time frame, we are discussing it but we can not reach an agreement for that day. Currently the OS2World head is on medical rest and he is an important part on this discussion. I personally don't want you to loose any job opportunity and I'm not going to lie to you saying "give me more time", or "just wait a little more".  I understand your need to for an stable job, and if June 4 is a critic milestone for you, I don't want to be blamed that you lost an opportunity because waiting for us.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2014, 03:00:56 pm »
I do not want to undervalue the suggestion to develop an open-source framework for BSD drivers. The developers of OS/4, the new OS/2 loader and many other wonderful new things have the same weakness. Although their software is excellent and they have made huge contributions, their work does not reach a larger audience.

This is because of the crucial lack of support. End users such as myself need several things for success.

1. Clear description of the software, what it does, and documentation of the system requirements
2. An easy installation method
3. Documentation, tools and methods to troubleshoot when things go wrong
4. A bug tracking system to report bugs that is monitored and replies are made
5. Fixes for bugs and enhancements to make end users successful
6. Periodic re-releases of software that collect the bug fixes and enhancements
7. Announcements of software releases with description from item #1
8. A forum to discuss bugs and end-user questions that is monitored by someone who can answer questions.

These items do not have to be done by the programmer, but they do have to be done to make software a success.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2014, 03:20:26 pm »
Very good feedback Neil and I agreed with this.

On this area...
5. Fixes for bugs and enhancements to make end users successful
6. Periodic re-releases of software that collect the bug fixes and enhancements

I agreed with it, but we needs to remember that the developer needs a constant flow of money to do that. We can no expect lifetime warranty and support for a one time donation. There has to be something in the middle to define this and try to find a way for projects to have a periodic fund raising to do this. (OpenBSD does this from time to time)

But this are such good points... I'm even writing them down on my journal :)   
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2014, 03:23:02 pm »
I agree too.
Clear description of the software, what it does, and documentation of the system requirements
I still want to create Softpedia for OS/2 because Qt ports to OS/2 suffers from the same "item #1"! (and my small utilites too).
A bug tracking system to report bugs that is monitored and replies are made
Netlabs would help.
A forum to discuss bugs and end-user questions that is monitored by someone who can answer questions.
Softpedia-like project could has links from every page. The best forums are www.os2.org and www.os2world.com of course.

I hope I will collect the required amount of money but domain owner has disappeared two years ago...
Yes, Pasha was the developer of ACPI driver until version 3.18.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:34:19 pm by Sergey Posokhov »

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2014, 12:10:04 am »
At some point Bitwise is going to run out of funding for the Firefox port, dmik has put a lot of time in understanding the code, which is a huge mess so I'd suggest it as another use for the fund.

I would support this idea too  -   without proper browser,  os/2 has no chance to survive
Another option is to Port QT5 and use one of the webkit browsers... less work probably in the long term and more options available too.  FIrefox seems to be doing its best to marginalize itself.

How good is the QT5 version of webkit compared to the Apple version or others?
I really have no idea, I have heard some banter of the idea of using the webkit but figured that it would be better to do that with QT5 than QT4 if it was going to be done so put forth the notion.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:16:22 am by Andy Willis »

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2014, 12:06:39 pm »
Hi all,

just a small update here.
bww bitwise works GmbH has started to work on SWT. For progress see https://github.com/bitwiseworks/eclipse.platform.swt

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php