Author Topic: Still more on new OS/2 developments  (Read 18680 times)

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
    • Tales from the Trenches of IT
Still more on new OS/2 developments
« on: August 05, 2014, 07:19:00 am »
Greetings, everyone.

In case anyone missed my previous statements regarding the formation of a new OS/2-focused company, please see:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/eCS-Technical/conversations/messages/19068
http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,397.0.html

and some discussion auf Deutsch:

http://www.os2.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=265

I want to share with you that at the end of July, Arca Noae, LLC was chartered in the State of Delaware in the US. Arca Noae is poised to become the driving force behind further development and maintenance of the OS/2 platform for some time to come.

Our website is still under construction, but we hope to be able to unveil it in short order. Besides new applications and updates, new device driver developments (upgrades, enhancements, and likely some completely new) are occurring, all of which we plan to announce on our site.

In Warpstock Europe news, summer vacations have brought some delays, but we are working to narrow the list of possible locations, and should have an announcement with more details in the near future.

Again, I want to thank all of you for being patient. We want to launch Arca Noae properly, and are paying close attention to detail. Rest assured there is a small but dedicated team working on and for the Company on a daily basis, and developers continue to do what they do best: write code. It's coming. Really.
Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS
Managing Member
Arca Noae, LLC                               www.arcanoae.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Still more on new OS/2 developments
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 07:43:06 am »
We're now a mollusc? At least it has a reputation as good eating   :) The important thing is thanks for the update and good to hear progress.

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 08:00:29 am »
We're now a mollusc?
LOL!

Hey, we ended up with "SeaMonkey," which is a brine shrimp, right?  ;D

I wish I were better at keeping everyone informed, but unfortunately, this has consumed a tremendous amount of time, aside from my daily admin tasks and the usual "being kicked around like a soccer ball between clients." We really have made considerable progress, even if that progress isn't immediately apparent. Merely organizing and strategizing with a group of people can be an arduous task (and that is no knock against the others involved, who have all worked just as hard). Keeping the community in the loop has sadly taken a backseat to allof the other matters of formation.

It will be easier once the site goes live, as we'll actually have a place to make our announcements and where people can get more information (and products and services).

Cheers, and thanks for the smile, Dave.
Lewis
Managing Member

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 06:35:13 pm »
If seamonkey browser has a stylish logo, perhaps they could have a stylish logo of the arca noae (also known as Noah's ark shell).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arca_noae

8)
BigGoofyGuy

Compuesque-XP

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:20:32 pm »
 8)...DON'T know if I would go so far as equating the seamonkey logo experience with Noah, I went up that mountain once above UR and it was no fun -lots of ice- but I am going to have to sell off most, if not all, of my IBM SHOW stuff, I thought you might like to know as I see no personal sales links any longer on OS2 World forum...anywho, check it out, in a warehouse there is alot more of this stuff left from the IBM SHOW tours for early adoptors...ebay I#/Title

SMALL Lot of VTG. Computer Parts in everythingelse! (171415369028)

Due to storage limitations, this lot has to go, but I don't ship any longer so you will have to pick up this lot of over 50 parts...

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 06:04:17 pm »
http://arcanoae.com/ Is this the future site? http://www.arcanoae.net/ Is this the future site?  Perhaps they are both with the same group? It indicates it is under construction. http://www.bizapedia.com/de/ARCA-NOAE-LLC.html
 8)

BigGoofyGuy

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 06:37:08 am »
whois information for both arcanoae.com and arcanoae.net state:
Admin Name: Lewis Rosenthal
Admin Organization: Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC

so... yes :)

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 05:22:33 pm »
The site is still under construction. I look forward to see what it will look like and what the logo will look like.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
Activity at Arca Noae.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 04:45:25 pm »
There seems to be some acitivity with the Arca Noae site.  8)
http://www.arcanoae.com/
The logo does not look bad. 8)
BigGoofyGuy

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 06:11:30 pm »
They also have three wiki for this projects:

-   ACPI – Advanced Configuration and Power Interface Subsystem
-   USB – Universal Serial Bus Subsystem
-   Multimac NIC Drivers

Source:http://www.arcanoae.com/support/
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 06:35:06 pm »
I feel like we've been slash dotted...  ::)

Consider this a soft launch, as we wanted to at least share some information about what's been going on behind the scenes. There is plenty more to come in terms of content and layout (the shop isn't open yet, for example).

Still, it's nice to see that people are watching. Enjoy!
Lewis
Managing Member

Ben

Re: Activity at Arca Noae.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 11:14:10 am »
There seems to be some acitivity with the Arca Noae site.  8)
http://www.arcanoae.com/

It will be good to see all the things that Arca Noae has in mind.

The logo does not look bad. 8)

Ah!

Is that the Mâgên Dâwîd I see only slightly concealed in there?

It surely is.
;)

Lewis is showing his roots.  :)

Now, who else can see the tie between the name and the symbol... did "I" say symbol?.. surely I meant logo?  ;)

A nice logo though, all the same. No fool created it.

It isn't easy to create a logo meeting all of the basic requirements and still make it work... particularly given the gross plethora of logos/symbols out there today that is also based upon the Mâgên Dâwîd, and not step upon someone else's toes.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:33:28 am by Ben »

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
Re: Activity at Arca Noae.
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 10:15:12 pm »
Sorry this reply is so late! We've been rather busy...

Ah!

Is that the Mâgên Dâwîd I see only slightly concealed in there?

It surely is.
;)

Lewis is showing his roots.  :)

Now, who else can see the tie between the name and the symbol... did "I" say symbol?.. surely I meant logo?  ;)
Actually, Ben, no Hebrew symbolism intended at all (we're non-sectarian, don't you know).  :D We still have a bunch of those blasted web fonts and icon fonts to exorcise from the page templates (you should see the back end of a modern WordPress site...under OS/2, it is barely legible without the Classic Admin plugin for WordPress).

So, if you happen to spy an odd-looking glyph for an arrow or some other navigation icon, it's likely just one more nit we haven't got around to swatting, yet!

Cheers!
Lewis
Managing Member

Ben

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 05:16:46 pm »

Really Lewis; there's no intended relationship between your Noah's Arc and the Hexagram, (Star of David), in your logo be it a boat in the water, (male & female), or any other variant of the duad?

If that is true, then clearly things were bubbling up from the subconscious of the creator(s) of the name/logo; the connection is obvious and undeniable.

No biggie of course, non-sectarian, Kharzian, (Ashkanazi), Sephardi, or otherwise, it hardly matters. The earth soon enough, will be completely worldly, (secular), as we are all made into one gigantic hodgepodge neither left nor right, neither Jew nor Gentile, neither male nor female. Today it is moving so fast that anyone can see the advancement on a monthly basis whereas thirty years ago only the most observant could see it.. and then over years.

Good job on the site, BTW... if you didn't already get that from my previous post, Lewis, et al. It's only a matter of time and I'll be signing up; gotta support those who support my favourite OS! 8) I'm looking forward to seeing what you bring to us in the future.

Good luck with it and a big "thumbs up!" 8) . (I dispise those juvenile emoticons.)

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 10:21:14 pm »
LOL!

Thanks, Ben...

The earth soon enough, will be completely worldly, (secular), as we are all made into one gigantic hodgepodge

I couldn't agree more.

On a more topical note, I really (really) had nothing to do with the graphics whatsoever. In fact, the artist (these were professionally done) didn't even know me. I got to see all of that work sort of after-the-fact.

Now, if you ever have occasion to visit our Mantis BugTracker, I did have something to do with merging those two images, and while I usually do most of my own graphics work on OS/2, I confess that I used GIMP on openSuSE (mainly because I was just too lazy to get up from where I was sitting in the server room, so I used what was at hand).  ;)

Please also (everyone) check out our FAQ section, which we will be expanding (and likely breaking into multiple pages, as it seems to me that it's already - with the handful of entries it has - getting cumbersome to navigate.

Cheers
Lewis
Managing Member