Author Topic: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 RC3  (Read 83724 times)

dbanet

Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 RC3
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2014, 01:04:46 am »

It would be cool if you document your experience with loading DLLs into the high memory and the results you get (workability, stability) on the OS/2World Wiki.

I wrote a how-to but have no idea how to add it to the wiki. I am not familiar with HTML. I have it as an odt file. Any volunteers to proof read / edit  / add it to the wiki?

It's not HTML there, but Wiki markup instead. Either ways neither Wiki markup nor HTML are not even close to "hard" to use for plain text markup tasks like you have.

I'll consider putting that on Wiki, if I manage to open the file you attached.

dbanet

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2014, 01:06:50 am »
Well, switching to 14.106_W4 got me the same trap. Changing the flag to only load the code high seems to have resolved it (I think).

Thanks again.

Strange. Seems it's not completely fixed. Maybe it is like that for the *_W4 kernels only? Have you tried 14.106_SMP?

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2014, 01:13:10 am »

It's not HTML there, but Wiki markup instead. Either ways neither Wiki markup nor HTML are not even close to "hard" to use for plain text markup tasks like you have.

I'll consider putting that on Wiki, if I manage to open the file you attached.

Thanks. I created the document with OO 4)
It might not be hard to use, but I have never used it yet, so I'd have to learn. At the moment I have little time for that. I did put it on the list)

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
    • Tales from the Trenches of IT
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2014, 01:47:53 am »
Well, switching to 14.106_W4 got me the same trap. Changing the flag to only load the code high seems to have resolved it (I think).

Thanks again.

Strange. Seems it's not completely fixed. Maybe it is like that for the *_W4 kernels only? Have you tried 14.106_SMP?

I experimented with the 14.106_SMP kernel last week, in an effort to install ACPI (this is a ThinkPad T43, with a 2.26GHz Pentium M 780 Dothan; a single core CPU). ACPI does not like the machine at all (no version has), so I rolled back to the Geyserville daemon for power management and the UNI kernel which I had been using (14.105_UNI). Steven Levine mentioned to me that he thought I might get about 10% better performance from the W4 kernel than the UNI kernel (both of which run significantly cooler without ACPI, and I noticed an overheat condition almost immediately after installing the SMP kernel), so I switched to the 14.105_W4 kernel. He and David Azarewicz both agreed that I should really move to the 106 (no matter which flavor, I think), due to the bug fixes in 106 vs 105. After my earlier experience with the trap exiting OO4, and your mention of this being fixed in 106, Boris, I figured that it was probably a good time.

I should probably get a trap dump of this situation to debug further, but frankly, if loading only the code high works, and the difference between that and loading both code and data high is trivial, I'll likely just stick with what I've got. I just thought it was worth mentioning, here.

Cheers
Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS
Managing Member
Arca Noae, LLC                               www.arcanoae.com

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2014, 03:59:32 am »
How do I get the spellchecker to work? I downloaded some dictionaries and installed them (extensions) but I can't get the spellchecker to work,

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2014, 09:13:17 am »
How do I get the spellchecker to work? I downloaded some dictionaries and installed them (extensions) but I can't get the spellchecker to work,

Confirmed; bug opened: https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=125501

also note Check for updates window which does not show in front of Extension Manager:

https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=125502

It is also important to note that dictionaries must be compatible with OO4. I initially tried using my 3.2 dictionaries, and while they installed, I noted the ages of them (I did not subsequently try to check them for updates, but installed English manually).
Lewis
Managing Member

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2014, 12:13:30 pm »

Someone marked your bug as a duplicate of another one. I checked, solution there is to delete or rename user profile directory. That did -not- solve the problem for me, so it either isn't a duplicate of that bug or we have an os/2 specific problem.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2014, 02:03:00 pm »
Thanks for the information.

After the ....
yum install libc gcc-4.4.4 gcc-4.4.6 openssl curl libjpeg libxslt libicu zlib libxml2 stdcpp mmap pthread urpo gcc-stdc++-shared-library
...OpenOffice started to work fine here.

I still need to try it out, my only complain for the moment are the icons :)
It is great to have this application updated on the platform. Thanks to Bitwise works !!
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2014, 05:58:51 pm »

Someone marked your bug as a duplicate of another one. I checked, solution there is to delete or rename user profile directory. That did -not- solve the problem for me, so it either isn't a duplicate of that bug or we have an os/2 specific problem.

This is definitely not a dupe. I can confirm on two different systems.

Also opened new bugs for incorrect/unexpected location of profile (should respect %HOME%) and crash when creating new profile.

To track bugs for the OS/2 version, follow this link:

https://issues.apache.org/ooo/buglist.cgi?list_id=156388&op_sys=OS/2&query_format=advanced&resolution=---

At this point, the more feedback we can provide, the better it will be for Yuri and the team to get issues resolved and to get to a GA version. We are so close to the mainline releases for this, we shouldn't lose momentum. Also, the better a showing we can get in the bug tracker from as many users as possible (not just opening new bugs, but participating in clarifying existing ones and solving others - some things may be user-related; the OOo docs in general are in need of updating, in many cases, and things have changed considerably between major releases), the better our chances are at being taken seriously and not just as a fringe element, using the app on some obscure platform (this is apparently how we are viewed WRT OpenSSL, where like Mozilla, there is serious consideration being given to dropping support in the main project - we can't afford to have this happen by being silent and hoping for someone else to step up).

Cheers

Lewis
Managing Member

dbanet

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2014, 07:46:58 pm »
(this is apparently how we are viewed WRT OpenSSL, where like Mozilla, there is serious consideration being given to dropping support in the main project - we can't afford to have this happen by being silent and hoping for someone else to step up).

I agree to your words wholly, but who do you expect to step up to maintain OpenSSL/2?

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2014, 08:18:28 pm »
(this is apparently how we are viewed WRT OpenSSL, where like Mozilla, there is serious consideration being given to dropping support in the main project - we can't afford to have this happen by being silent and hoping for someone else to step up).

I agree to your words wholly, but who do you expect to step up to maintain OpenSSL/2?

OpenSSL builds on OS/2. If all that is required to keep OS/2 in the official project is to push changes upstream, almost anyone could do that, based on Paul Smedley's diffs. While I'd like to find someone else to do it, if nobody does step forward, I will (I need OpenSSL; it is running on my Apache server right now, supporting several SSL sites). I would also consider funding a maintainer to do this. OpenSSL, unlike the absurd "RapidRelease" cycle which Mozilla has adopted (which in ten years' time will bring us things like Firefox 122 - no kidding; do the math!), is normally released in much more manageable intervals.

Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread, I'm afraid! We should stick to OO4, here, though I'm happy to discuss maintaining OSS apps and how we can make that happen.

Cheers
Lewis
Managing Member

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2014, 08:40:43 pm »

OpenSSL builds on OS/2. If all that is required to keep OS/2 in the official project is to push changes upstream, almost anyone could do that, based on Paul Smedley's diffs. While I'd like to find someone else to do it, if nobody does step forward, I will (I need OpenSSL; it is running on my Apache server right now, supporting several SSL sites). I would also consider funding a maintainer to do this. OpenSSL, unlike the absurd "RapidRelease" cycle which Mozilla has adopted (which in ten years' time will bring us things like Firefox 122 - no kidding; do the math!), is normally released in much more manageable intervals.

Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread, I'm afraid! We should stick to OO4, here, though I'm happy to discuss maintaining OSS apps and how we can make that happen.

Cheers

just to let you all know, we already maintain a svn branche at netlabs svn. We even provide a rpm for it. To put the small changes we did upstream would need not much effort from our side. But as time flies too fast, we just didn't care on that. If the community thinks it would be good to have all upstream we would try to contact them.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2014, 08:41:44 pm »
another small note:

at the Apache OpenOffice RC3 download site, we added a small readme explaining what requirements are needed.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2014, 02:46:08 pm »
Apache OpenOffice for eCS (OS/2) update

We just uploaded an update to the recently announced Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 RC3.
This update enables the so called category B modules. The most known module of this category
is most likely the spellchecker. Where solver and scripting are others in this category.

Apache OpenOffice is the free and open productivity suite, consisting of
several mighty applications, such as Calc, Writer, Base, Impress and
several more. Apache OpenOffice is compatible to the leading commercial
productivity suite.

bww bitwise works is commited to provide the latest version available,
which will be version 4.1.1.

Download Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 RC3 update 1 at:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/350r8h2dpuxsg8w/AAAjVtD4f5_FaFghfUg_l6BYa/aoo
If you have issues please use the debug file to get more
debug output.

If you like Apache OpenOffice, please pass by our online shop at
http://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop  and buy Apache OpenOffice for
eCS(OS/2). This donations save the ongoing development and bugfixing.

To fill a bug please use:https://issues.apache.org/ooo/

kind regards
Silvan Scherrer

kind regards
Silvan

dbanet

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2014, 08:43:06 pm »
just to let you all know, we already maintain a svn branche at netlabs svn. We even provide a rpm for it. To put the small changes we did upstream would need not much effort from our side. But as time flies too fast, we just didn't care on that. If the community thinks it would be good to have all upstream we would try to contact them.

Silvan, it is understandable that it's perfectly possible to maintain an OS/2 fork even if the maintainer doesn't know OS/2 exists.

I understand your point that this whole OpenSSL-drops-OS/2-support drama is taken a bit too seriously, but also, apart of easing later development, the goal is to make some more people treat us seriously, as Lewis said. I think it is kinda important.