Author Topic: Edit pdf files  (Read 18479 times)

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
Re: Edit pdf files
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 08:07:04 pm »
Normally I don't mind installing "some extras" in order to get something to run, but there seems to be quite a lot that has to be in place for running Qpdfview. Like Martin, I don't use cups either, tried it once but couldn't make it work. That may have changed with newer releases so I'll have another look at it.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 02:27:10 am »
Changing the subject, maybe we can help to put CUPS on the rpm/yum installer. I'm not sure if it will work, but it can be interesting to learn how to create rpm/yum packages and try to upload them to netlabs server.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 09:26:33 am »
You don't need cups unless you want to do printing and since it won't talk to our printer on a print server I don't have it installed.  Also you don't need rpm/yum because all it does is install some necessary DLLs, all of which may already be installed anyway.

What we do need is for the support DLLs to either be included with the package or be provided as a separate package like those for the latest versions of firefox.

While we are talking installers I would like to see something that installs printers - something like the installer they use in elementalOS Linux.  Select new printer, select samba printing, browse for printer, select printer from list, install and it is done.  Picks up network printers as well as local ones without problems.  This is something we need on OS/2 eCS especially if we want to attract more people to our OS.

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 12:29:49 pm »
I placed cups.dll in the Qpdfview directory and it works. Annotations seems to work also and that is good, but still I need to have some "free text" or a text box with possibility to choose size of the font. This text has to be visible when opening the document and not "hidden" in an annotation.

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 01:51:17 pm »
What we do need is for the support DLLs to either be included with the package or be provided as a separate package like those for the latest versions of firefox.
As the readme tells where to download the needed dll I guess thats enough. And if not everyone is free to create such support dll packages.
While we are talking installers I would like to see something that installs printers - something like the installer they use in elementalOS Linux.  Select new printer, select samba printing, browse for printer, select printer from list, install and it is done.  Picks up network printers as well as local ones without problems.  This is something we need on OS/2 eCS especially if we want to attract more people to our OS.
Such an installer is available from Alex Taylor. In ecs 2.2 beta it's included. I don't know where to download offhand.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 01:52:35 pm »
Silvan, just a quick not. There is a little mistake on QPDFView install.os2.

It says:
poppler
-------

1. yum poppler poppler-qt

I think it is: yum install poppler-qt

My issue is that I don't use CUPS and it is mandatory for it to run. CUPS  gives me trouble installing it. I  need to read more about it. It says it need to be installed on the root but I don't want to do that.
Please always open a ticket for such things. I can't go over all Forums and look for possible bugs.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 02:52:15 pm »
Hi Silvan,

You know that most people don't read the instructions when installing anything new  ;D  they generally try, fail and then complain hence my saying it would be an advantage if the required DLLs could be downloaded as one package.

Thanks for the information that Alex has produced something I will have to try and find it and do some tests.  It is one of the things that people trying OS/2 eCS that I know of complain about, the other is having gigabit network cards and not having drivers for them.

Thank you for the time and effort you put in to help keep our OS up and running.

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 03:50:31 pm »
Hmmm,.....looks like the topic "Edit pdf files" is drowing here, so I repeat my last post:

I placed cups.dll in the Qpdfview directory and it works. Annotations seems to work also and that is good, but still I need to have some "free text" or a text box with possibility to choose size of the font. This text has to be visible when opening the document and not "hidden" in an annotation.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 05:18:48 pm »
Hi Per.

You are right. I have to say that qpdfview is a keeper on this subject.

I tried putting cups.dll on the directory (like you told) and it runs. I added some annotations to a PDF, some highlight and after that save it and also try out on Lucide. Very good.  It is sad that I have not the time to test all ported software, I should knew about this before  :)

Check out the screenshots for everyone else.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:49:50 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 12:07:12 am »
Such an installer is available from Alex Taylor. In ecs 2.2 beta it's included. I don't know where to download offhand.

regards
Silvan
[/quote]

http://www.altsan.org/os2/printing/