Author Topic: Yum Problems?  (Read 15095 times)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
Yum Problems?
« on: October 20, 2014, 07:22:10 pm »
Hi All!

I was setting up a new eCS 2.2 partition on a new system late last week, and as part of the install process normally use Yum to install various additional libraries, especially for use by QT4.

This time I used the latest Bootstrap, then went on-line and typed "Yum Install Yum", and install proceeded. However, running the bootstrap console subsequently gives the following message:

Repository setup
        package os2-release-00-2.oc00.noarch is already installed
        package netlabs-rel-0.0.0-2.oc00.i386 is already installed
Testing internet connection: "yum repolist"...
Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)

Killed by SIGABRT
pid=0x006e ppid=0x006d tid=0x0001 slot=0x00d8 pri=0x0200 mc=0x0001
D:\USR\BIN\PYTHON.EXE
Process dumping was disabled, use DUMPPROC / PROCDUMP to enable it.

Has anyone else noticed this problem recently? Out of curiosity I also ran this on a test system, with Yum already installed previously, and noted that a number of updated files were downloaded - attempting to download any other libraries after the updated Yum install gives a similar "Killed by SIGABRT" message.

Best!

Mark
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Yum Problems?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:41:21 pm »
Did you install RPM/YUM with eCS 2.2? If you did not deselect that (it is well hidden), you did. If you then installed it again, using the old installer, you have probably messed it up so bad that you will probably have to re-install to recover.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:44:18 pm »

Has anyone else noticed this problem recently?
I would first search in http://trac.netlabs.org/rpm/report/6. If not found, file a bug using your netlabs.org account: http://trac.netlabs.org/rpm/wiki#Reportingbugs.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:57:26 pm »
Did you install RPM/YUM with eCS 2.2? If you did not deselect that (it is well hidden), you did. If you then installed it again, using the old installer, you have probably messed it up so bad that you will probably have to re-install to recover.

This was indeed an eCS 2.2 install. I didn't see that particular option when I was installing eCS this time, Doug, but will have a look. I do advanced installs, but didn't check every option, to see what was being installed.

Is the YUM bootstrap console installed in a file somewhere on the desktop, on eCS 2.2? - haven't ran across it (but then I haven't used 2.2 much on a working environment machine)

I did note, however, on my test machine, with eCS 2.1 installed, and an existing YUM install already present, that YUM will attempt to install a number of updated files , some of which seem to be related to Python, where the reported file mismatch seems to be present. Letting the updated files be installed gives the "Killed by SIGABRT", if you attempt to install any other libraries.

As this was a new install, and I hadn't proceeded very far in setting it up I may attempt to back out the YUM Warpin installation first. and see what happens. If things seem to be screwed up, I will reinstall eCS 2.2 minus the RPM/YUM option, and see that happens.

Thanks and Best!

Mark

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:16:53 pm »

Has anyone else noticed this problem recently?
I would first search in http://trac.netlabs.org/rpm/report/6. If not found, file a bug using your netlabs.org account: http://trac.netlabs.org/rpm/wiki#Reportingbugs.

Hi Andreas!

Checking the Bug Tracker for Yum, I didn't note this particular problem directly listed, but did note a number of problems related to the newest version of Python (2.7.6?) and YUM, as a variety of tickets have been opened - didn't have a lot of time today, but will read through them and see what has been solved and what remains open.

Thanks for the link and Best!

Mark

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:30 pm »
As this was a new install, and I hadn't proceeded very far in setting it up I may attempt to back out the YUM Warpin installation first. and see what happens. If things seem to be screwed up, I will reinstall eCS 2.2 minus the RPM/YUM option, and see that happens.

Installing RPM/YUM is probably okay, if you want to do that. If you do, always be sure to use RPM/YUM to install new things, if it supports it, and never do a manual, or WarpIn install, when RPM/YUM supports whatever you need. I think your problem happened when you installed the older RPM/YUM over top of the new one (which may actually be in a different place).

I do advanced installs, but didn't check every option, to see what was being installed.

I was surprised when I discovered that RPM/YUM was a default. If I remember correctly, it is the option that says it will install QT and ODIN support, there is no mention of RPM/YUM. When you deselect that, it will not install QT or ODIN (and probably a few other things). They can be installed in the old way, later, if you don't install RPM/YUM.

Even if you do want RPM/YUM to be installed, you may want to change the target drive (one of the bottom lines in the installer window), to get that stuff off of the boot drive.

Is the YUM bootstrap console installed in a file somewhere on the desktop, on eCS 2.2?

Not that I have found. It seems that you simply do the RPM/YUM commands from a command line window (which is what the "console" is anyway). I have seen nothing else that even mentions RPM/YUM, but I haven't gone searching for it either.

Remember that eCS 2.2 beta II is a beta, and it was not completely updated when it was built. There are a few "problems" that need to be fixed, and a number of things that need to be updated.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 12:02:54 am »
Installing RPM/YUM is probably okay, if you want to do that. If you do, always be sure to use RPM/YUM to install new things, if it supports it, and never do a manual, or WarpIn install, when RPM/YUM supports whatever you need. I think your problem happened when you installed the older RPM/YUM over top of the new one (which may actually be in a different place).

I was surprised when I discovered that RPM/YUM was a default. If I remember correctly, it is the option that says it will install QT and ODIN support, there is no mention of RPM/YUM. When you deselect that, it will not install QT or ODIN (and probably a few other things). They can be installed in the old way, later, if you don't install RPM/YUM.

I finally had a chance this week to have a look at the eCS 2.2 install - under Software - System Extensions, I found "Package Management Framework for Unix Ports" which contained RPM/YUM (Checked by default). Two separate menu items under System Extensions were "QT4" (checked by default) and "ODIN32" (checked by default).

Don't know if there are dependencies between the three or at least between YUM and QT4 as unchecking the various items made no difference to the others (but this is only a beta).

Not that I have found. It seems that you simply do the RPM/YUM commands from a command line window (which is what the "console" is anyway). I have seen nothing else that even mentions RPM/YUM, but I haven't gone searching for it either.

Typing Yum Install Yum from the command prompt works the same. What I got when I tried it with the eCS 2.2 install was:

Updating:
 yum                     noarch     3.2.27-6.oc00         netlabs-rel     1.0 M
Installing for dependencies:
 libgcc473               i386       4.7.3.1-1.oc00        netlabs-rel      26 k
Updating for dependencies:
 python                  i386       2.7.6-10.oc00         netlabs-rel     6.6 M
 python-libs             i386       2.7.6-10.oc00         netlabs-rel     866 k
 rpm                     i386       4.8.1-18.oc00         netlabs-rel     649 k
 rpm-libs                i386       4.8.1-18.oc00         netlabs-rel     355 k
 rpm-python              i386       4.8.1-18.oc00         netlabs-rel      74 k
 yum-metadata-parser     i386       1.1.4-4.oc00          netlabs-rel      21 k

Transaction Summary
================================================================================

Install       1 Package(s)
Upgrade       7 Package(s)

Total download size: 9.5 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

So, essentially it wants to install the same seven updates, including libgcc473 4.7.3.1 and python 2.7.6. I suspect if I let the update run I would get the same "version mismatch" and "killed" messages as I noted before.

I held off on the update and will file a bug report to Netlabs and let them sort out if something needs to be fixed.

Remember that eCS 2.2 beta II is a beta, and it was not completely updated when it was built. There are a few "problems" that need to be fixed, and a number of things that need to be updated.

Actually I was aware of the still beta nature of eCS 2.2 when I installed it, Doug - I did not test it earlier in the year, and I want to evaluate the current state of development, and how usable it is - eCS 2.1 will not install on the new machine, while 2.2 will, probably due to the updated ACPI and maybe other items - I thought I'd have a go at this version, until we see what Lewis Rosenthal and Co. have in mind, for further development.

Best as always!

Mark

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 02:14:39 pm »
I finally had a chance this week to have a look at the eCS 2.2 install - under Software - System Extensions, I found "Package Management Framework for Unix Ports" which contained RPM/YUM (Checked by default). Two separate menu items under System Extensions were "QT4" (checked by default) and "ODIN32" (checked by default).

Don't know if there are dependencies between the three or at least between YUM and QT4 as unchecking the various items made no difference to the others (but this is only a beta).

Qt4 and odin are installed as rpm, so as long as one is checked rpm/yum gets installed anyway

Typing Yum Install Yum from the command prompt works the same. What I got when I tried it with the eCS 2.2 install was:

When rpm/yum is already installed with ecs 2.2 beta, why do you want to install it again? All you have to do would be a yum update.
This will update all old stuff to the most recent.

I held off on the update and will file a bug report to Netlabs and let them sort out if something needs to be fixed.
Afaik there is nothing to sort out, as the process works as it should. At least I see no errors.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 04:15:46 pm »
Hi Silvan!

When rpm/yum is already installed with ecs 2.2 beta, why do you want to install it again? All you have to do would be a yum update.
This will update all old stuff to the most recent.

When I started this thread I was observing that the updated YUM files, when installed, seemed to be causing the following problems, Silvan, when attempting to install anything else. The message reads

Killed by SIGABRT
pid=0x0069 ppid=0x0068 tid=0x0001 slot=0x00d1 pri=0x0200 mc=0x0001

I noted this when the Yum Bootstrap WPI 1.3 was on an installed system, and then updated, and noted that the eCS 2.2 Yum / RPM installation would have attempted to update the installation with those same files, which probably would have caused the same problem.

What I was trying to  find out, Silvan, is whether the most recent updates are causing any problems for others - as I noted on Netlabs, when reading a few of the bug reports, there seems to be a number of bugs noted with the newest Python update - I was wondering whether you have any  idea what the "Killed by SIGABRT" message means, or the "version mismatch" message, which occur only after the updates are installed?

I'm trying to isolate whether this Is a potential bug that should be reported, whether people aware of it already, or whether it is a problem solely related to my systems - I've had YUM on my other systems for quite a while, using the 1.3 WPI installation and eCS 2.1, and never had a problem with it, until the last update, which gives the error message(s) indicated.

Thanks for you response and any information you can provide.

Best as Always!

Mark

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 05:14:07 pm »
When I started this thread I was observing that the updated YUM files, when installed, seemed to be causing the following problems, Silvan, when attempting to install anything else. The message reads

Killed by SIGABRT
pid=0x0069 ppid=0x0068 tid=0x0001 slot=0x00d1 pri=0x0200 mc=0x0001
as far as I understood you installed ecs 2.2beta and this also installed rpm/yum. Then you installed the bootstrap and installed yum again.
As the bootstrap installs an older yum/rpm this of course leads to version missmatch.

So when you just install ecs 2.2 beta and then do a yum update you are save. At least I see no reason why this should not work. All my system have rpm/yum on them and I never had any problems.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 05:02:29 pm »
Hi.

I just checked today and I started to get that problem on a test VM that I got with eCS 2.1.
I installed Yum with the normal procedure, then I experimented moving the paths of this machine, and everything worked perfect. I installed and made "yum update" without any problems.

But maybe since some update on the packaged I started to get this error.

1. Make sure you have an active Internet connection.

2. Type "yum install yum" in the command prompt below.

3. Wait until YUM downloads the base packages and installs itself.
   This may take some time.

4. Reboot!

5. Have nice yumming!

Repository setup
        package os2-release-00-2.oc00.noarch is already installed
        package netlabs-rel-0.0.0-4.oc00.i386 (which is newer than netlabs-rel-0
.0.0-2.oc00.i386) is already installed
Testing internet connection: "yum repolist"...

Killed by SIGABRT
pid=0x00a2 ppid=0x00a1 tid=0x0001 slot=0x00b4 pri=0x0200 mc=0x0001
C:\PROGRAMS\FHS\USR\BIN\PYTHON.EXE

I think that I'm starting to have problems on how to load the YUM console with paths  between "\tmp\yumbt\usr\bin" and "\usr\bin" and other like "\tmp\yumbt\usr\lib" and "\usr\lib".
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 05:28:47 pm »
In my case it seems to be a conflict with python.exe versions. If I rename python2.6.exe as python.exe (backuping python 2.7 original exe) RPM/YUM starts working again.

Does RPM/YUM can run with Python 2.7?

But I don't know if it is the same problem that Mark is getting.

I just solved this. It seems that I never installed yum from yum (?). I made a "yum install yum" it got updated, and I was able to change the python.exe back to 2.7. And I also modified yum-console.cmd to point to the right libs.   Everything seems to be working now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:50:53 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.