Author Topic: PDF Printer  (Read 25892 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
PDF Printer
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:44:15 pm »
Hi

It used to be so easy to print on PDF with "PDF Printer", but I just installed it again and it is not working.
What are you using today to print as PDF?.

I have been trying ghostscript 8.71 and 9.16 with "PDF Printer" but it is not working. I'm getting this error when try to print a INF with NewView (picture attached).

Any hints?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:53:39 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

guzzi

• View Profile
Re: PDF Printer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:45:26 am »
Qpdfview and cups. Works like a charm.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 07:17:47 am »
Hi

It used to be so easy to print on PDF with "PDF Printer", but I just installed it again and it is not working.
What are you using today to print as PDF?.

I have been trying ghostscript 8.71 and 9.16 with "PDF Printer" but it is not working. I'm getting this error when try to print a INF with NewView (picture attached).

Any hints?
Possibly the printer driver you are using?  I don't think I had ever used pre-press but just tested it and it worked fine.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 04:31:47 am »
I just glanced through the source code on Netlabs (which unfortunately is older than the last release, the code for which appears to be lost).

The return code 1 is coming from Ghostscript, it doesn't appear to be a system error. So I assume Ghostscript is at least loading successfully.

There should be a logfile in %TMP%\pdfwrite.msg.  You could try examining it for clues.  It should contain, among other things, the complete command line used to invoke GS, which you might try running manually to see if you get any more information.

FWIW (from looking at the source code), the command line should be:

gsos2  -q -Ic:\programs\gs\gs8.71\lib;c:\programs\gs\gs8.71\..\fonts;c:\psfonts -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dNOPLATFONTS -sFONTPATH=#c:\psfonts -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen -dEmbedAllFonts=true -sOutputFile#"pdf_file" "ps_file"

(assuming C: is your boot drive)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 10:12:42 pm »
Hi Alex.

I tried to find a "pdfwrite.msg" in all the HDD and I can not find it.

I'm trying to install CUPS and see how it works for me. Does CUPS needs to be installed on the root (C:\CUPS) to work?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 12:14:26 am »
Hi Martin

Yes, cups needs to be installed to the root of a drive - not necessarily C:

You may find this helpful http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,631.0.html

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 12:14:09 am »
Hi

I need and update on this thread since we are now on 2016.

I have eCS 2.2 and I noticed that Ghostscript, gutenpring and CUPS are available on the RPM repository.
I'm installing those packages from Arca Noae Package Manager (I just noticed a little conflict with Lars USBCALL.DLL that is newer and located on C:\OS2\DLL).

I want to know if you experienced any issue and if it is ok to delete the older software that came in eCS 2.2 (C:\cups, C:\gs, C:\gutenprint).

On the past CUPS needed to be on the root, did it changed now?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 01:40:43 am »
Hi Martin

No idea.

Not being into the ANPM/yum/rpm scene I have not kept an eye on the cups version(s) that may be available from that source.

Is there not a readme somewhere in the package? - I guess installation instructions are not necessary though...

I would guess that installation within the "*nixy" directory structure would be the aim of the rpm releases though.

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 05:00:38 am »
Bitwise has taken over CUPS and have been fixing/recompiling it for the UNIXROOT environment. I think they've done most of the basic stuff but really you should ask Sylvan.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 08:05:05 am »
I've running the rpm cups 2.x.x, ghostscript, .... since a while. I never had installed gs or cups on c:\ but on my dedicated program partition p:. Anyway I moved out of the way the eCS/warping versions and all of Pauls gs versions I ever tried and cleaned up to use only rpm version which is btw. the first version which works reliable and satisfactory for my needs. My needs are printing mostly pdf files or parts from them via qpdfview to my postscript printer. This never worked reliable with big files before but with the latest rpm verison.

I've installed the ePDF package too and occasionally I create a pdf from applications. Currently with the rpm gs package. No problem so far but not tested very much.

All in all I would say you can get ride of all older gs/cups installations and simply use the rpm version. At least for me this works better than the version before I'm fighting with.

But I use PS printers connected via LAN only. YMMV with other types of printers or connections. Read I never tested the gutenprint or libusb part.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 10:22:47 am »
Hello Martin,
You can test this, I found in os2-esp yahoo groups spain:
https://es.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/os2-esp/conversations/messages/12027
translate:
> For those cases where the pmpdf not want to convert files to PDF,
> Well when we get a code 1- mistake, or when there fails but does not generate
> Pdf file . You can do the following to generate it :
>
> * * After having tried to generate the pdf , we can search file
> C: \ var \ temp \ pmpdf.ps (create a shadow of this file on the desktop
> Comfort)
> Creeps with the mouse on the PDF writer printer already !!! .

saludos

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 02:49:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

What I want to accomplish is:
1) Use cups/ghostscript from the RPM repository. Which according to Andi B. it is possible.
2) Set CUPS to work as a PDF Printer to generate PDF files from NewView and QPDFView ( I never did that on the past).

Can somebody point me to some documentation on how to use CUPS to create a PDF Printer?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 04:47:09 pm »
Martin, maybe the newer cups2.x.x and GS which I use are in the exp repository only and cups1.4.3 and older GS are in rel repos. I don't know offhand. I read your mantis ticket ....

1) Use cups/ghostscript from the RPM repository. Which according to Andi B. it is possible.
It is for sure with cups1.4.3 (I mentioned in another thread her long ago) and for current cups2.1.3(?) maybe only if you have setup netlabs-exp repository. As exp repos is not recommended for general use by the maintainers I do not recommend it to you. But if you want to give it a try....

2) Set CUPS to work as a PDF Printer to generate PDF files from NewView and QPDFView ( I never did that on the past).
QPDFView needs cups to print pdf files. No need to create another pdf file for QPDFview. If you wanna extract some pages from a PDF then I would recommend GSView/GS. When I need to create PDFs from NewView or any other non-QT application (except AOO) I print to ePDF package (which in turn uses a standard PS printer which prints to a .ps file which GS afterwards converts to a PDF). There is no cups involved here for this.

Cups for creating PDFs may be necessary when you want to print from another QT application. I did not try that until now.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 11:17:00 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I went back to the basics with PMPDF to see why I was not able to print.
It seems that my issue was that I was pointing to the wrong path, since PMPDF looks for the gsos2.exe on \bin\gsos2.exe.

Now it seems to work with ghostscript 9.18-5 installed from ANPM. I just wrote it down here to don't forget about it next year.
http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Remembering_How_to_Use_PMPDF

I'm still not sure how to make ePDF to work, I guess I need to read the documentation and no idea how to print PDF with CUPS yet.
But for the moment I can generate some PDFs with PMPDF.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Hermit

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 10:28:28 am »
I went back to the basics with PMPDF to see why I was not able to print.
It seems that my issue was that I was pointing to the wrong path, since PMPDF looks for the gsos2.exe on \bin\gsos2.exe.

Now it seems to work with ghostscript 9.18-5 installed from ANPM. I just wrote it down here to don't forget about it next year.
http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Remembering_How_to_Use_PMPDF
Hi!

I installed according to the wiki link. When I try to send to the print in Seamonkey I get an error from Xcenter
"Jobs printed directly - spooler disabled"

From other applications, printing is going fine.

What could be the mistake?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:30:26 am by _Hermit_ »