• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

TerraIM/2 Port Bounty

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2008.05.13, 04:45:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

TerraIM (a very light-weight but feature rich IM client) is back under very active development after about 2 years hiatus. It uses wxWidgets (of which there is an OS/2 build of the proper level) and nothing else. It can be compiled under GCC, Borlan, or other C++ compilers. I tried my hand at setting up the sources and building with OpenWatcom but I really had no idea what I was doing, so needless to say, it failed, and failed hard.

Some Features to Note:
No need to install, settings can be stored in an .ini
File Transfer
Buddy-list Management
Tabbed IM Windows
Rich-text
IM Logs
Small! (About 1.2mb)
Skinnable!
Remote Control Interface

Anyway, I would like to see a TerraIM/2 branch and I was wondering if anyone would be up to the task of porting and possibly maintaining it? If you can set me up with a working environment and build scripts, I can probably manage to maintain it if need be.

TerraIM: http://terraim.sourceforge.net/

TerraIM 1.2.6 Windows Binary (to test out) [note: it will run with Odin/Innotek, but the windows dont draw right]: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/terraim/TerraIM_1.2.6.exe?modtime=1213550011&big_mirror=0

TerraIM 1.2.6 Source: http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=62923&use_mirror=voxel&filename=TerraIM_1.2.6_source.zip&27727393

wXwidgets OS/2 Source Archive: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wxwindows/wxOS2-2.8.8.zip?modtime=1214239103&big_mirror=1

Login Window:

Buddy-list Window:

IM Window:

Preferences Window:

Profile Window:

Saijin_Naib

Here is TerraIM running with the Innotek Runtime. It's really not far off, a little fugly but every feature works. Well, except for minimize to tray. That causes a 99% CPU load and you ultimately have to close terraIM. I hope that if we can build it under OS/2 we can integrate it with the Systray API so it can actually do the whole minimize to tray thing, really nice especially since the eWP bar has limited real-estate for the window list.

Saijin_Naib

Alright, I am having some trouble building. Can anyone please help me?

I have the following setup:
OpenWatcom C++ installed to C:\watcom
terraIM source in C:\terraim\src
wxwidgets in C:\wx to look like attached image.
my OW Project has all the .cpp files added as sources in the Terraim\src\*, nothing else
I have the OW C++ compiler switches set to include the folder (-i) C:/wx/include/wx

I get the following output when I try to Make All:
cd C:\HOME\DEFAULT\Documents
wmake -f C:\HOME\DEFAULT\Documents\terraim.mk -h -e
wpp386 \TerraIM\src\AliasManager.cpp -i=C:/wx/include -w4 -e25 -zq -od -d2 -6r -bt=os2 -mf -xs -xr
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(103): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_DYNLIB_CLASS must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(103): Note! N393: col(9) included from C:/wx/include/wx/platform.h(279)
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(103): Note! N393: col(9) included from C:/wx/include/wx/defs.h(21)
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(103): Note! N393: col(9) included from C:/wx/include/wx/wx.h(15)
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(103): Note! N393: col(9) included from \TerraIM\src\AliasManager.h(27)
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(103): Note! N393: col(9) included from \TerraIM\src\AliasManager.cpp(24)
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(111): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_EXCEPTIONS must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(119): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_FILESYSTEM must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(127): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_FS_ARCHIVE must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(140): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_DYNAMIC_LOADER must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(148): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_LOG must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(156): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_LONGLONG must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(164): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_MIMETYPE must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(172): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_ON_FATAL_EXCEPTION must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(180): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_PRINTF_POS_PARAMS must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(188): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_PROTOCOL must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(230): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_REGEX must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(238): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_STDPATHS must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(246): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_XML must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(254): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_SOCKETS must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(262): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_STREAMS must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(270): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_STOPWATCH must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(278): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_TEXTBUFFER must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(286): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_TEXTFILE must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(302): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_URL must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(310): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_VARIANT must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(330): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_ABOUTDLG must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(338): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_ACCEL must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(346): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_ANIMATIONCTRL must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(354): Error! E080: col(9) "wxUSE_BITMAPCOMBOBOX must be defined."
C:/wx/include/wx/chkconf.h(362): Error! E133: col(9) too many errors: compilation aborted
Error(E42): Last command making (C:\HOME\DEFAULT\Documents\AliasManager.obj) returned a bad status
Error(E02): Make execution terminated
Execution complete

Robert Deed

Are you working off of their make file?  If not it is probable that there are defines which need to be set before compilation.

Do you know that terraim even compiles with open watcom?

From the source I see only references to gcc and to borland (though it states that the borland make file is broken). 

What I cans ee is that wxwidgets needs options passed to it in order to properly build (you need to let the library know for what use it is being compiled).  This should help atleast the first part of the problem, and should be documented somewhere in the wxwidgets code.

Pete

Hi Saijin_Naib

My c programming skills are very rusty but looking at the amount of lines that have

Error! E080: col(9) "*something* must be defined."

I would guess that either a path is missing or wrong or, possibly, the OS/2 version of wxwidgets does not have those items defined for whatever reason or the source code for those bits is missing.

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

Hey Robert & pete. I am not working off the buildfiles for wxwidgets nor terraIM because I simply do not know how to use them in OpenWatcom. I cant use VAC because I don't have it, and I tried to use Paul's build environment but I had some major issues with getting things set up properly.

I don't know if TerraIM will compile with OpenWatcom, but why wouldn't it? Its a C++ compiler right?

Basically, this is the first time I have done any programming since I wrote a calculator in TrueBASIC when I was 11.

My roomate got TerraIM to compile under WINXP using CodeWarrior with extreme ease. But the windows version of WXwidgets has an installer to ease things whereas the OS/2 one doesn't, and according to the docs, won't until its no longer considered "beta".

Pete

Hi Saijin_Naib

Not being familiar with any c/c++ compiler for OS/2  have no idea if OpenWatcom can be used or not - except that when I was taught c a long time ago it was claimed that it was the most "portable" coding language. I guess that depends on several things though...

I think you need to work through the existing buildfiles to see what is required and then work out how to get OW to compile it all successfully.

Is there an OW forum somewhere? - either that or the OS/2 newsgroups would probably be good places to get advice on getting this compiling.

Sorry to not be any help...  :-)

Pete

Saijin_Naib

Hi Pete, thanks for the tips.

The intrepid Mr. Smedley said that he will be taking a look into TerraIM in the coming days, and will help me along if it can indeed be built for OS/2.

Hopefully, we can have something before long to post :)

If anyone else has anything else to offer up in the mean time, please feel free to.

Andi

For wxWidgets on os/2 there was a session on the developer workshop 2005 hold by Stefan Neis. You should find the presentation here -
http://wiki.netlabs.org/index.php/Developers_Workshop_2005

But, I'm not sure, if it includes information for compiling on OS/2.

Saijin_Naib

Thanks Andi. I have downloaded the .pdf to read through later :) Hopefully, its in simple enough terms for me to understand it.

WarpWorld

If you ported that program for OS/2 please upload it and paste link on the forum to we can download it.Thanks!

Saijin_Naib

Hey, TerraIM was updated in July with some OSCAR rate fixes and other minor interface tweaks, I'm going to be trying my hand at compiling it again but any help would be more than welcome!

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.08.11, 22:25:10
Hey, TerraIM was updated in July with some OSCAR rate fixes and other minor interface tweaks, I'm going to be trying my hand at compiling it again but any help would be more than welcome!

Hi S!

You might wanna pass on that info to the SIM team and to Marty for MrM... I think that will fix the issues both are experiencing with Oscar...

-R

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

I was thinking so as well, but TerraIM was behaving entirely different in this case. Instead of the messages not reaching the target (SIM) or taking 3-5 minutes (MrM), the messages arrived fine but you were warned that you were flooding the target client every message and had to clear a dialogue confirmation. Now seeing as both SIM and MrM generally ignore rates, I'll try and raise the issue but I'm not positive I'm even on the right track.

Edit: Yeah, I tried the latest available MSVC compiled SIM-IM and the July 2008 ICQ hotfix they have seems to have fixed the problems that SIM was having sending messages. It can also sendfile perfectly fine with AIM now! Now if only this would make it to stable soon so Eros/2 can get his hands on it...

I tried to dig further into TerraIM and the SIM CVS trees to find what was changed, but I was without luck. I alerted Marty and I guess we'll have to see when he has time to pick it back up.

RobertM

I've seen things like that with SIM... or people being told that my client was too slow for the data rate...

So either way, I think both may have improper timing implementations (thanks to a change in the timing Oscar uses)... I kinda think they are all just exhibiting different issues depending on how each program does it's timing.

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.08.12, 03:02:32
I was thinking so as well, but TerraIM was behaving entirely different in this case. Instead of the messages not reaching the target (SIM) or taking 3-5 minutes (MrM), the messages arrived fine but you were warned that you were flooding the target client every message and had to clear a dialogue confirmation. Now seeing as both SIM and MrM generally ignore rates, I'll try and raise the issue but I'm not positive I'm even on the right track.

Edit: Yeah, I tried the latest available MSVC compiled SIM-IM and the July 2008 ICQ hotfix they have seems to have fixed the problems that SIM was having sending messages. It can also sendfile perfectly fine with AIM now! Now if only this would make it to stable soon so Eros/2 can get his hands on it...

I tried to dig further into TerraIM and the SIM CVS trees to find what was changed, but I was without luck. I alerted Marty and I guess we'll have to see when he has time to pick it back up.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|