• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

QuadCore and ODIN/Innotek Runtime based applications

Started by djcaetano, 2008.06.11, 17:41:25

Previous topic - Next topic

djcaetano

Since I moved to Core2 Duo hardware, I noticed the system became somewhat unstable when using "odinized" applications, like Innotek Java, Innotek Flash, VirtualPC, Acrobat Reader and so on. Now I am using a Core2 Quad, despite the fact the system runs  much more smooth, the problems with "odinized" applications became even worse.
  In the case of Innotek Java, from command line JAVA.EXE, JAVAPM.EXE and JAVAC.EXE, I just marked them as "MPUNSAFE" and things seems to work ok. But I could not do the same with FireFox plugins (MARKEXE do not work on DLLs).
  I am almost removing Innotek JAVA from my web browser, since the second time I open a Java web page will most probably cause a massive system hang (FireFox hangs, xCenter continues to work, but the system becomes most unresponsive). The problem is: what else can I do to solve this kind of problem? Is there a way to mark a DLL as MPUNSAFE? I had already tried to mark FIREFOX.EXE as MPUNSAFE, but this has not solved the problems.

Any ideas?

saborion2

Quote from: djcaetano on 2008.06.11, 17:41:25

Since I moved to Core2 Duo hardware, I noticed the system became somewhat unstable when using "odinized" applications, like Innotek Java, Innotek Flash, VirtualPC, Acrobat Reader and so on. Now I am using a Core2 Quad, despite the fact the system runs  much more smooth, the problems with "odinized" applications became even worse.
  In the case of Innotek Java, from command line JAVA.EXE, JAVAPM.EXE and JAVAC.EXE, I just marked them as "MPUNSAFE" and things seems to work ok. But I could not do the same with FireFox plugins (MARKEXE do not work on DLLs).
  I am almost removing Innotek JAVA from my web browser, since the second time I open a Java web page will most probably cause a massive system hang (FireFox hangs, xCenter continues to work, but the system becomes most unresponsive). The problem is: what else can I do to solve this kind of problem? Is there a way to mark a DLL as MPUNSAFE? I had already tried to mark FIREFOX.EXE as MPUNSAFE, but this has not solved the problems.

Any ideas?

Hi djcaetano,

While one might not be readily able to help you with a complete analysis of your problems; also, in that you have not stated which versions of the JAVA Applications you are using on the "Core2 Duo hardware..." maybe the information (though dated) which can be found at this IBM's site (link attached below) may be able to help you.

Java Plug-ins for browsers on OS/2

This article provides an introduction to Java Plug-ins and describes the configuration details of Java Plug-ins from different flavors of Java™ Runtime Environment (JRE), such as Runtime Environment for IBM® OS/2 Warp® Developer Kit, Java™ 2 Technology Edition, Version 1.3.1 and InnoTek® OS/2 Kit for Java 1.4.2, Runtime, for the Web browsers viz. IBM® Web Browser (IWB) and Netscape Communicator; available on the OS/2® Operating System. This article describes the unique way of using Java 1.3.x Plug-in with Netscape Communicator 4.x for OS/2 to run the applets and the functionality of Java Plug-in HTML Converter to achieve this. This article also provides a detailed explanation about Plug-in Control Panel to enhance the Java Plug-in behavior at runtime and focuses on different ways of collecting trace and debug information from the Java Console, primarily targeting support personnel......

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/systems/library/es-java-os2/

Good luck to you.  ;)

SAB

RobertM

Only one idea - GC Java instead of Innotek. But that still leaves a bunch of stuff not "fixed" (such as the plugin DLLs).

Sadly, the only reference (other than one Japanese one) that I could find is:
http://cyberkinetica.homeunix.net/os2tk45/toolsref/224_L1_ViewandSetProgramTyp.html
(and many duplicate pages)

And this...

http://www.os2site.com/sw/dev/util/index.html
" markexe.zip         21,743 bytes         1999/5/12 [17:04:00]      
A tool to display or change header informations of OS/2 executable files. E.G. changing the type of the session, add or remove long file name support or set and reset per-process DLL initialization and termination options."

Which seems to indicate that it can be used for something regarding DLLs - but I cant find any further documentation on how (or other than what is listed on those pages, what else?).

Perhaps there is a way (using the DLL initialization portion) to set DLLs as MP UNSAFE?

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|