• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

RC 5 released!

Started by melf, 2008.07.03, 22:04:49

Previous topic - Next topic

melf

Just a little info. eCS RC5 is released for those having the software subscription. I'm just downloading it!
/Mikael

saborion2

Quote from: melf on 2008.07.03, 22:04:49
Just a little info. eCS RC5 is released for those having the software subscription. I'm just downloading it!

Hi "melf",

Thank you very much for that bit of info. And, in any case - It's about "time" Serenity Systems International say/did something where eCS is concerned.  ::) It would be even more interesting to know what is the General Availability (GA) Date.  8)

Kindest regards.

SAB

melf

Well you're right, they don't say much and could surely be more talkative. The best way to get a clue of releasetimes is to log in at ecomstation.com, then choose bugtracker and there choose roadmap. There you can see that RC5 is a bugrelease, RC6 is a testrelease for ACPI and that GA comes after that one. You can also follow percentage of solved bugs.
/Mikael

Saijin_Naib

Have you installed it yet Melf? I wish I still had SSS, I want to test out eCS on my sisters brand new laptop!

saborion2

Re:

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.07.04, 00:19:29
Have you installed it yet Melf? I wish I still had SSS, I want to test out eCS on my sisters brand new laptop!

While it may be long past "mid-night" for the General Availability (GA) we believe that with this bit of news we can hold on just a little bit longer on our planned acquisition of "new" hardware to run eComStation 2.0; but then again, (although this release/upgrade has taken so long) it may be prudent/wise to not commit to "run-your-business" on eComStation 2.0 until about a year later after the GA Date when all the "undiscovered bugs" are fixed!  8)

Also, it would be neat if a listing of "compatible" hardware that would run eComstation could be provided.  ;D

Just my take on this development.

Regards,

SAB

Saijin_Naib

eCo Software has the compatible hardware database. And the reason I want to test it on my sisters BRAND new laptop is to add to that database.

warpcafe

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.07.03, 22:18:13
It's about "time" Serenity Systems International say/did something where eCS is concerned.

Hi SAB (and everyone who keeps talking about SSI)...

please make an effort to finally understand that Serenity Systems has absolutely *nothing* to do with eComStation. They are nothing but a legal middleman towards IBM. At least until now, perhaps this changes or has already changed (to an extent where they, SSI, are even less).

So for Pete's sake, stop using the words "Serenity" in the context of eComStation. It is Mensys who's behind and in eCS.

Oh, BTW: Before complaining about missing roadmaps... would you like to tell us the release date for Cassini?

Cheers
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

saborion2

Quote from: warpcafe on 2008.07.04, 10:09:04
Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.07.03, 22:18:13
It's about "time" Serenity Systems International say/did something where eCS is concerned.

Hi SAB (and everyone who keeps talking about SSI)...

please make an effort to finally understand that Serenity Systems has absolutely *nothing* to do with eComStation. They are nothing but a legal middleman towards IBM. At least until now, perhaps this changes or has already changed (to an extent where they, SSI, are even less).

So for Pete's sake, stop using the words "Serenity" in the context of eComStation. It is Mensys who's behind and in eCS.

Oh, BTW: Before complaining about missing roadmaps... would you like to tell us the release date for Cassini?

Cheers
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

If there happen to be any inference/reference to "Serenity" in "the context of eComStation" these were on the bases of previous communication and personal contact going back to persons such as Kim Chung (and others) who it was then understood to represent "Serenity Systems" and also demonstrated eComStation at IBM's Offices here in New York City quite a few years ago.

Thank you for the enlightenment regarding the fact that "It is Mensys who's behind and in eCS"; and, I have taken careful note of this.  8)

Meanwhile, I have forwarded an off line message to you with regards to your question about CASSINI.

Hope you are having a fun day.  ;)

Best regards,

SAB

Shai

It's stated that the CD detection logic was updated in rc5 - does anyone know whether this is related to the issue that prevents you from installing eCS from an USB device?

cheers,
Robin

MrJinx

It does not appear the USB cdrom issue has been addressed.
Until memdisk or the diskette images can be updated to copy and load the usb drivers from the virtual disk (Ramdisk). the BIOS connection provided to the CD drops before loading USB drivers from the cd rendering the /I13 switch useless. It is too early in the boot stage to try and manually copy them in to test this theory. I will try the BOOT UPDATE Disk method but I'm guessing that will fail on a USB floppy for the same reason. BIOS USB Legacy setting? Maybe? A lot of newer laptops don't offer this setting any more.... So, Even if it works, It's only good for a few devices. My Dell D400 and D410 laptops support this, My D420 does not. All 3 are usb CD based with no floppy controller.

I installed RC4 on the D400 and D410 by using my older Dell C400 shotgunning the IDE hardrive, Forcing the USB and Network settings for the target laptop and then switching back the HD in the target unit after the first pass of the install. The USB CD on both the D400 and D410 performed the 2nd installer pass without a problem after that. My D420 has an SATA type drive and unless I mount the drive in a Desktop to perform the same trick, I have yet to get eCS on that device.

For the D420, I'd be happy to get a bootable SD card solution but the EE PC instructions didn't work for me.

DavidG

Why don't you file a bug report on this?

One thing I would like to see is the option of receiving the GA on either a DVD or CDROMs.

Instead of having to deal with 3 disks, I would prefer to deal with one disk.

abwillis

Quote from: David Graser on 2008.07.04, 22:30:59
Why don't you file a bug report on this?

One thing I would like to see is the option of receiving the GA on either a DVD or CDROMs.

Instead of having to deal with 3 disks, I would prefer to deal with one disk.

I've been thinking about the DVD option myself lately. 
Andy

Saijin_Naib

That would be an idea. They'd also be able to bundle a lot more software, backgrounds, etc to make the user experience more pleasant.

saborion2

Re:

I've been thinking about the DVD option myself lately.

Andy

How about the inclusion/integration of that "Automatic Update" feature in that "DVD" (or, one to facilitate upgrade from OS/2 Warp 4.0, 4.5.... to eComStation) to facilitate the installation of the "Fix Packs" that may follow after the installation of the Operating System/s.  ???

Regards.

SAB

saborion2

Hello All,

In anticipation of the General Availability (GA) of eComStation 2.0 does anyone know how many Original Equipment Manufactures (OEMs)  ;) are (would be) involved in the "Roll-Out" of eComStation of eComStation 2.0. This information it is believe will give one a general idea as to what/which "undated (newer) applications (the OpenOffice.org Productivity Suite....) would be available to run on eComStation. And, would not these required testing further slow the General Available (GA) date of eComStation ready Applications. ::)

Beyond the above mentioned... is the apparent inability of eComStation to run updated applications such as IBM's Lotus Notes 8.0, Lotus SameTime, Lotus Symphony 1.0.... (because of the lack of an SWT for OS/2-eComStation) as was previously the case with earlier versions of these applications that ran under OS/2.  8)

Have a nice day.

Regards,

SAB