• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

RC 5 released!

Started by melf, 2008.07.03, 22:04:49

Previous topic - Next topic

chennecke

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.07.04, 00:38:52
While it may be long past "mid-night" for the General Availability (GA) we believe that with this bit of news we can hold on just a little bit longer on our planned acquisition of "new" hardware to run eComStation 2.0; but then again, (although this release/upgrade has taken so long) it may be prudent/wise to not commit to "run-your-business" on eComStation 2.0 until about a year later after the GA Date when all the "undiscovered bugs" are fixed!  8)

Well, from what I have seen so far, this shouldn't be needed for eCS 2.0 GA. A really large number of bugs has been fixed in RC5--a few even between the pre-release of RC5 for the developer team and the release for customers with a subscription. I am confident that the long development time is going to pay off.

saborion2

Quote from: chennecke on 2008.07.05, 20:56:33
Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.07.04, 00:38:52
While it may be long past "mid-night" for the General Availability (GA) we believe that with this bit of news we can hold on just a little bit longer on our planned acquisition of "new" hardware to run eComStation 2.0; but then again, (although this release/upgrade has taken so long) it may be prudent/wise to not commit to "run-your-business" on eComStation 2.0 until about a year later after the GA Date when all the "undiscovered bugs" are fixed!  8)

Well, from what I have seen so far, this shouldn't be needed for eCS 2.0 GA. A really large number of bugs has been fixed in RC5--a few even between the pre-release of RC5 for the developer team and the release for customers with a subscription. I am confident that the long development time is going to pay off.

Hi "chennecke",

Given the way IBM held its "Open Sessions" prior to the release of OS/2 at one stage (where participants at these sessions were able to "call in" with regards to missing functionalities.... in OS/2); What assurances/evidence are there that "Serenity Systems International and Mensys BV" followed a similar development path to that of IBM which allowed for a participation across the board (wide participation)?  8)

Best regards,

SAB

DougB

I am not sure that it is fair, or wise, to compare what Mensys is doing with eCS, to what IBM did with OS/2, years ago, when they were just starting the project. Mensys has far fewer people, and other resources, to work with, than IBM had. I think that the Mensys people are doing a pretty good job of getting eCS to install, and work, on newer hardware, but, unfortunately, they cannot do everything, nor can they test every possible combination of hardware (even IBM wouldn't be able to do that now). The "wide participation", that you talk about is happening with the current releases of the release candidates. Those who have made a commitment to the project, get to test it, and provide feedback. That isn't an ideal situation, but it does make it possible to do it, with limited resources.

I agree, that a number of bugs have been squashed, but there are still some problems. My Acer Aspire 4720 laptop, still can't use either NIC, with ACPI. It CAN use the wired (Broadcom) NIC, if I don't use ACPI. I can't get the wireless, Intel 3945 a/b/g NIC to go, with, or without, ACPI.  Nice things, like suspend, and resume, are just a dream, with this thing, at the moment, too. I am also unable to get sound to work (I did have it working with RC4), but I haven't tried to figure that out, yet. On the other hand, eCS 2.0 RC5 did install, without too much trouble, which is a big improvement over RC4, where I had to invoke a few "workarounds" to get it to install.

I do hope, that Mensys can get eCS 2.0 to work on the majority of machines, and the long development time will make it worthwhile. At least they aren't releasing something that is only half baked.

saborion2

Hey "DougB',

You have rightly said;

I am not sure that it is fair, or wise, to compare what Mensys is doing with eCS, to what IBM did with OS/2, years ago, when they were just starting the project. Mensys has far fewer people, and other resources, to work with, than IBM had. I think that the Mensys people are doing a pretty good job of getting eCS to install, and work, on newer hardware, but, unfortunately, they cannot do everything, nor can they test every possible combination of hardware (even IBM wouldn't be able to do that now)......

Like you, there is that feeling that there is no justification for having users around the world wait for years on end (on one company, unlike the cases with the Open Source communities) only to read about the demise of companies Indelible Blue et al. Geez... there are lots of college age as well as college graduates in the United States of America (and, perhaps in many other parts of the world) who cannot find employment and yet we are here talking about a company like "Mensys" having
Quotefar fewer people, and other resources, to work with, than IBM had.
There is a simple solution - Develop strategies (in collaboration with the universities....) to hire more of these college graduates (possible - the best-of-breed) from around the world to do some of the development and testing of the products.

And, these are some of the things we would do as a company. What do you think about that!  ???

There is a saying that "many hands make lighter/easier work". And, this is what was meant by "wide participation".  8)  Also, it is sincerely believed was the intention of the "Petition" to IBM for the open-sourcing of the OS/2 Source-Codes.

Best regards.

SAB