• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

USB 3G EVDO Modem

Started by cytan, 2009.07.03, 06:16:02

Previous topic - Next topic

cytan

I suspect there may be a hangup string because when I tell injoy to hangup, it always says that it tries to do it for 4 times and says:

failed to hangup modem!

then forces an exit. Why it does this, I don't know. However, something interesting is that when injoy hangs up when it detects that there has been no activity (say 15 minutes), I can reconnect and get to the web without a problem.

O, I've also tried hanging up and disconnect, reconnect the USB modem, but again the connect to the web only lasts maybe about a minute.

I'll have to investigate this further ... unless you guys have an insight as to what I should try.

cytan

Quote from: ivan on 2009.07.12, 15:47:45
cytan, so far I've not been able to find the technical information on what chip set the device uses so the following is based on guess work.

Because the device requires a special setup string to activate it there is a possibility it also requires a special string to shut it down.  If that is the case then there is not much chance of it working a second time without being hard reset.

I once had a USB modem that appeared as a comm device and would work with OS/2 the first time it was plugged in but not again unless it was unplugged and re-plugged.  Looking at the communication stream sent to it by the supplied software -windows- I found it needed extra characters at shut down.  I was able to add them to the hangup string and had no more problems.

If that is not the problem and you have to reboot OS/2 then I suspect problems with the USBRESMG.SYS and/or USBCALLS.DLL in which case we need to find out where the failure is.

RobertM

Quote from: cytan on 2009.07.12, 01:44:44
First, let me thank everyone, especially ivan for helping me get my modem working.

Now, I'm again back to the OS/2 community to try to figure out something weird:

(1) First connection using Injoy works great.
(2) Disconnect by hanging up in Injoy. Reconnect again with Injoy, I can connect to the web for a few times and then nothing can be found. Example:
   ftp hobbes.nmsu.edu

works the first time and then trying to ftp again fails to find hobbes.
Injoy dialer shows no errors.It looks like there's no route to hobbes ...

The only way to get back to good web connection is to reboot.

Any pointers?

cytan

This may be silly... try mode switching the port (back to MSD)... then back again. Then see if it disconnects. Maybe that will free up whatever buffer, chip, connection, etc is possibly hanging.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

Just a few more thoughts.

Since you can use it with InJoy then I'm assuming it uses at least part of the standard AT command set.  To test that get a copy of Zap-O-Comm and set up logging then use the console to send AT commands and get the responses.  You can also try different hangup commands and see what the results are.

If you don't have a copy of the AT command set let us know and I'll try and find the listing I have in my archive.

cytan

Just to confirm this observation. When injoy idle times out, I can dial and reconnect  without a problem. I think the thing to do is to figure out what injoy does differently between idle time out and user hang up. I'm going to email injoy support to see what they say ...

cytan

Sigurd

Hi,
got a quesiton here: Did everything as described in the ReadMe (copied usbcall and usbresmrg.sys) - but when I start the usb_modeswitch.cmd it says: can not find usbmodeswitch.conf.

I did create a ETC Folder on my Bootdrive ( letter = O:  ) and copied the conf there.

Do I have to place it somewhere else? I use eComStation 2 GA.

Thanks for help.

Sigurd

herwigb

You can bet that it wants the usbmodeswitch.conf in %UNIXROOT%\ETC - so if no UNIXROOT variable is defined in config.sys it probably wont work.

If you set UNIXROOT to x:\MPTN where x: is your bootdrive, %ETC% and %UNIXROOT%\ETC will point to the same directory, which is IMHO a good idea (I know others don't think so).

We have/had similar issues with Samba.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

Sigurd

Hi Herwig,
thanks for this answer. But I do have no knowledge at all about this (for me this sounds cryptic %..% - sorry!) - I do not know what command in config.sys I do have to add exactly, can you write it down for me, please?

While searching in eCS 2 I found the program "KLIBPATHREWRITER" (or similar) in the Systems Folder, do not understand what that means as well nor if it may be usefull here as well.

Thanks in Advance

Sigurd

Andi

Quote from: Sigurd on 2010.09.27, 10:15:25
...for me this sounds cryptic %..% - sorry!...
You should try some command line stuff :) f.i. 'echo %path%' displays the contents of your path environment variable usually set in your config.sys.

If you have 'set unixroot=o:\' in your config.sys or type it into a command line window (cmd.exe or 4os2.exe ;) ), 'echo %unixroot%' will display 'o:\'

Enviroment variable ETC is usually set during installation and put into your config.sys. I think in your case there is a line 'set ETC=O:\MPTN\ETC'. You can look into your config.sys or try on a command prompt 'echo %etc%' to see what is actually set. Maybe you try these steps -
open command window
set unixroot=o:\
set etc=etc
usb_modeswitch.cmd

HTH

P.S. At evening I'll have a look at my Notebook to see what I've done to let usb_modeswitch work.

Sigurd

Thanks Andi,

did pass this barrier because of your good explanation!

Try to pass the next one though  ;)