• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Thunderbird issues

Started by kim, 2007.06.06, 16:01:09

Previous topic - Next topic

kim

Since this thread talks about issues with Thunderbird I thought about breaking up the two threads to make it easier to follow the topics.

Ben: I used Thunderbird for about a year and got sick of it eating my E-mail. I get over 100 messages a day and it simply couldn't handle it, (though I liked the built-in HTML viewers... sorta).

Kind of curious here since I can't really recall that I've noticed this kind of issue and my Thunderbird installation holds around 70.000 e-mails spread over 18 different accounts. But what can be a reason for loosing e-mails might be improper closing of Thunderbird since it keeps the mail in large files and not small files as pmMail does. So in that way Thiunderbird is actually sensitive and has a high risc of rough system handling. This also makes backup a pain since my Thunderbird directory has 4.65gb of data and the inbox and outbox mail are keept in 2 large files. So when making a backup it has to backup the entire directory; incremental doesn't really work out here and that is really bad.

Also the next issue, the bigger the mail files gets the longer it takes Thunderbird to start and get ready.

bjorso

Kim,

I don't think Thunderbird is designed for such really heavy use that you are talking about ;) It's a free client to replace crap like Microsoft Outlook Express. It does an excellent job doing that but I doubt it will be of interest to companies since there is no good calender, booking service etc. What is available now is not good enough?

Like you I replaced PM Mail/2 when it could not handle modern encryption, GnuPG, it made it impossible to use over different platforms. Also missing HTML was a drawback. I don't like or use HTML-mail myself but I receive a lot so it's very useful to be able to read it correctly. I have no hope to see PMMail/2 translated so I had to say goodby to it. :-\

//bjorso