• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS/2 - Linux and JFS

Started by dljone9, 2009.10.25, 23:34:16

Previous topic - Next topic

dljone9

just wanted to know what experiences folks have had, with trying to access JFS partitions created
by OS/2 - with Linux...

my employer has a very large number of OS/2 machines, we will be upgrading hardware and it seems
like OS/2 will not be making the transition (we have looked at ecomstation, but it does not seem to
be a path my employer sees as realistic, support-wise).

when i test our existing systems out with "live" Linux CD's (ubuntu, knoppix) they see the HPFS
formatted drives just fine. trying to mount JFS drives though, does not seem as simple. they
appear to be mounted alright, but when trying to access the drive...you get a "bad super block"
error, using the methods described here:

http://bytes.com/topic/unix/insights/820158-how-mount-partitions-under-linux-unix

anyone have any feedback, or experiences they would like to share?? many thanks!

zizban

Linux has JFS support. Hmmm.

Saijin_Naib

OS/2 JFS and Linux JFS use a different partition type. This is documented somewhere within DFSEE's docs. Have a read at them. I think DFSEE can convert between the two.

RobertM

Quote from: dljone9 on 2009.10.25, 23:34:16
my employer has a very large number of OS/2 machines, we will be upgrading hardware and it seems
like OS/2 will not be making the transition (we have looked at ecomstation, but it does not seem to
be a path my employer sees as realistic, support-wise).ike to share?? many thanks!

That's a shame. I know I'd move there to work on their support team. I wonder how many other such companies still have large OS/2 installs...

If you are at liberty to mention the company or the role of the machines, I am sure everyone else would be interested. If you cannot, then of course, please don't. Don't want you to get into any trouble with work.

Best,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

dljone9

thanks for the feedback guys, will have a look at DFSEE and perhaps that'll be what we need
to get the job done. i can say the machines are file & application servers, not sure i would be
within guidelines to detail much more than that about our situation. it's not a huge install base,
but several hundred machines are involved - so it's not an insignificant task. much obliged!

RobertM

Alternatively, you can, as a last resort, FTP the data off the OS/2 boxes, then back on to the Linux boxes. Not the neatest solution, but one that is guaranteed to work if no better solution presents itself.

Best,
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

dljone9

for sure, much obliged for that - we have developed a REXX script to do just that and it may be
how we wind up doing it. how we are set up now is, the JFS partitions on these servers are on
secondary drives - so we had hoped to just slide those drives in the new boxes and get on with
life. but if we have to go down this path, it is a workable solution. again, thank you!

Criguada

Probably it's too late to jump in, but I have never had real problems accessing JFS volumes from Linux (any distro).
Linux can see and work with JFS volumes created by OS/2. Only annoyance is that I still have not found a way to make them readable from anything but root.

Hope this helps
Bye
Cris

dljone9

much obliged for the feedback - we have been successful using SUSE to get on the JFS
partitions now...as you say, only as root. we'll just script a process and get the job done
that way...many thanks to all who have responded!

Radek

Cris, have you tried to put umask = 0 in fstab? I have met a similar problem with a FAT32 partition intended for communicating between eCS and Debian. The partition is mounting as root/root so that I had only read access to it from Debian. A good for nothing communication partition  :-\ Allowing rwx access to anybody in fstab has solved the problem.

I haven't experiented with eCS JFS partitions on my machine, they contain valid data  :)

MEGAN33sF

If you are really interested in data connecting to this post, you would go here <a href="http://www.4writers.net">freelance writer </a> and I can tell you, you get all pleasure!

chennecke

It is possible to access the data with another user. Without changes, the filesystem does not contain any user rights information. So you need to apply proper owner and rights info with suitable chown / chmod commands to the drive, e.g.:

chown -R username:username /mnt/jfsdrive
find /mnt/jfsdrive/ -ftype d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find /mnt/jfsdrive/ -ftype f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

Linux will update the user rights info without damaging the data. The tedious thing about it is that everytime OS/2 has written a new file to the file system, you will need to update its access rights.