• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Forcedeth ethernet port

Started by kim, 2007.06.12, 23:36:15

Previous topic - Next topic

rbri

Quote from: miturbide on 2007.08.10, 05:20:54

Any comments about version 0.0.2 ?
The source code is now included on the driver.

Let us know that is working to close the bounty.

Works here without problems (Asus A7N8X-X Nforce2 400).

rbri

rudi

Works here as well on my nForce1 (10de:01c3).

nickk

Version 0.0.3 is on hobbes.
I forgot to add promiscous mode support, so the VPC virtual switch, which relies on promisc mode to run, didnt work well.
Now it is done and i have one positive feedback on it. If anyone else use VPC with virtual switch, please test new driver and let me know if its ok.

chennecke

Nick,

Could you explain what the different switches are good for?

kim

Sounds like that the latest version of the drivers works fine and Nickk has made a claim for the bounty; if everything works as it should I think it should be ok to pay out the bounty. Guess that we'll give a couple of days more before the final close.

gamba

Works fine here with TCPIP and Netbios over TCPIP and an NVidia MCP55. Great work, thank you Nickk!

Bye
Gabriele

chennecke

Works fine here. The LAN adapter has TCP/IP, TCPBEUI, and NETBEUI bounds to it, but I haven't been able to test anything but TCP/IP.

One thing that is sorely missing is documentation. What the heck are the switches for exactly and when should one use them?

Pete

Quote from: kimhav on 2007.08.20, 10:45:29
Sounds like that the latest version of the drivers works fine and Nickk has made a claim for the bounty; if everything works as it should I think it should be ok to pay out the bounty. Guess that we'll give a couple of days more before the final close.

Hi Kim

I've only switched from GenMAC V2 to this driver a few days ago and it seems to be working fine with my nForce4 onboard nic.

Thanks to Nickk for all his hard work - but I think maybe you should get the documentation updated before paying the bounty :-)

Regards

Pete

kim

Assume that Nickk is reading this thread and I agree that it would be nice to at least to an answer to the switches.

nickk

The switches for nveth are documented in nveth.inf file. Here follows some explanations thus people become wondering ;)

MODE switch - i think the nif file gives complete explanations - its the speed to work on
OPTIMIZE - there are two modes of driver work - with throughput optimization and without, this optimization is just a strategy of interrupt processing. It came from forcedeth linux sources and you can study the sources for yourself for more info. I do not have the hardware to test the driver, so its you to try which setting suits best for you.
TIMER - nvidia adapter has special interrupt driven by its internal timer. This switch switches on and off enabling of this interrupt. Switching off will reduce the number of interrupts generating by the driver thus lowering system load, but it also could increase the latency in processing the rx/tx queues. Its up to you to find out whats is the best for you ;)
LINK_TIMER - if on driver periodically queries HW chip for the actual link speed and resetup the chip according to it.
RXCHAIN - the os/2 ndis drivers has two methods to pass received data to the protocol (tcpip and others) - receive chain and receive lookahead. The first one should be better. This option was introduced for testing reasons, now driver seems to work fine in both ways, so you can safely leave the switch as is.

The general recomendation - turn the swicthes if only you got any problems.

nickk

The 0.0.4 version of nveth driver at hobbes. It includes detailed switches explanations ;)

warpcafe

Hi all,

what's up here? Did we pay the money to nickk or not?
Is there something that needs to be done before we can reward nickk for his efforts?

Thanks for letting me know... cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

warpcafe

Hi all.

Well, I happen to talk to Roderick on the phone and we somehow ended up discussing networking things and then I took the chance to ask him what he thinks of nickk's port. He said that besides very, very rare cases, the vast majority of nVidia chipsets are supported by nickks driver/port as far as he can judge from the bugtrackers and boards... well.

I repeat the question:
Is there any objection to the idea of making nickk get the bounty paid?
This might also positively impact on his motivation to do more or continue to support the drivers since I assume nVidia will not cease creating new chipsets in the near future :)

Q1: Was there an official "claim" of the bounty by nickk?
Q2: Is there anything that needs to happen in matters of doc/license?
Q3: Am I the only one to read this thread? :)

@nickk:
In case you read this, please drop a comment to tell me if you have approached os2world's bounty manager ot claim the money or not... this will help me in understanding the status quo of this bounty. Thank you!

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Pete

Hi Thomas

I seem to have been using nveth since 0.0.3 without problems on 3 systems here and am currently using 0.0.6 happily - if that helps clarify whether nickk should be paid the bounty.

Regards

Pete

Mike

Pete, he already has the money  ;) The driver works in a nice way and maybe he should get another favor :)