• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Instructions for installing Ecomstation Silver in VirtualBox (VBox)

Started by cytan, 2010.01.02, 01:21:24

Previous topic - Next topic

cytan

Hi guys,
  Here's the instructions for installing ECS Silver in Vbox. ECS in VBox can
(1) be in wide screen mode
(2) Have sound
(3) Mouse integration
(4) Firefox works
(5) Networking works
(6) USB flash works
(7) Sharing files via SAMBA works.

Enjoy!

cytan

P.S. you'll have to login to see the pdf file

Saijin_Naib

Thanks for the effort man! Much appreciated :D

Plans to post this to Hobbes and eComstation Software Guide?

miturbide

Excelent guide.

I guess that the Mac where you are installing had VT-x support, right?

Because machines without Vt-X can't run OS/2 or eComStation with VirtualBox. (correct me if I'm wrong).
Thats a thing I don't understand. MS VirtualPC can run OS/2 without VT-x while other virtualizers like VBOX needs this VT-X hardware feature. Possible because MS VirtualPC was borned like a x86 emulator long time ago ?

Regards.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

cytan

Yes Vt-X must be enabled in VBox.

I'm moving most of my computers to the Mac (unfortunately). I'm hoping to get an i7 later this year to run ECS on it because there's things on the Mac which annoy me. I know the ECS developers are trying to get ECS to a level of functionality which is reliable, but the cosmetic aspects of it is lacking --- it's stuck in the 80s-90s. I just bought eSchemes Deluxe to make it prettier which I think should've been bundled with ECS. Beauty may be skin deep but it'll help sell ECS.

cytan

Sigurd

Hi,

Thanks for the instructions, those,- together with some others - helped me to finish "my" version inside Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on the Lenovo X200T. Please have a look at the attached picture.

But it seems to me that different "real" hardware seems to need different instructions and settings for the Virtualbox, what is surprising me, because the "emulated" hardware should be allways the same ? ??? I might do something wrong but on another Laptop (JVC 941) I do need other options to install eCs (i.e. have to chose "Modern hardware safe mode" instead of "Virtual PC" in the Preboot menu - and vice versa) but it may be that I just REALLY do something wrong.

Using eCS inside the Box is smooth, but I would prefer to use the "Native" installation I have parallel to Windows 7 Pro 64 -bit, but because of having no LAN/WLAN support this installation is quite useless... :-[ :-\ - and even worses - while using it in the Box I realised that in this environment I do not need eCS anymore... :'( :'(

So - I am still one of those who would prefer NATIVE instead of BOXED, but I am running out of choices...

cytan

Hi Sigurd,
   Perhaps you'd like to post what other things you did to enable ECS to install on your setup. It may help others.

cytan