• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

booting

Started by Dave, 2010.02.14, 01:33:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Hello all
  Its been a long time since I've checked out this site, the reason I switched to Mac.
Sorry, but found myself spending more time getting the computer to run then actually
using anything, and I was an os2 user since 1991.
  I still wish this community well.
Now for my question...I am building a hackentosh, yes  mac running on a (pc)
but when I started up my old os2 machine  I could just not wipe the hd clean to
start over, So does anyone know if I can make a boot partition for apple so
I can at least look at os2 now eCS? BTW  the current ver on my tower is
eCS 2 beta 4,
  what is the current state of eCS, do they have a unified dvd writer now
how about playback
  I use "vuze, limewire" a lot, I use Toast 10 for burning
is there dl support in eCS?
  luckly I have another tower, that I was going to run linux on, but never liked the
feel of linux,  and os2 was always so intuitive to use, from day one..
  even in some cases I like it better the  os X   right now on running
os 10.6.2   Snow Leopard, which is very solid..
Thanks for any assistance
Best
Dave
ps: I have never used snooze (ms)
and never will

Radek

How you cannot wipe your HD clean? Are you getting "hard disk corrupted" messages from FDISK and does FDISK refuse any cooperation? You cannot delete a partition, you cannot create a partition, you cannot anything?

If it is the case then the problem can be missing LVM info in the DPT. You can experience the same problem with winblows partitions on your HD. Later RCs are able to correct the problem during installation but I am sure that beta 4 cannot correct it. In the "old days" the only fixing tool was DFSee.
Recommendation: switch to RC6a or RC7 and try to install. You should get a message (srill in the text mode, before the graphical installer starts) that the LVM info on your HD needs to be corrected. Agree and see wether you can install now. Also check, whether your hackintosh still starts.

Another cause can be Mac partition types (I don't know, I've never had Mac). If the partition is too "exotic" for PCs, it is possible that FDISK gets confused, too. Most likely, you get the same "hard disk corrupted" message and the same FDISK behavior, even with correct LVM info in the DPT. I cannot recommend anything in this case.

ivan

Hi Dave,

If you really want to clear your hard disk and it is not physically faulty and you have a floppy drive in the tower, then go to hobbes and get DFSEE101.ZIP - expand it and transfer the DOS dir to a bootable doss diskette.  Boot from that and use DFSDOS to wipe the MBR and partition tables - you then have a clean disk.

As to running OS/2 and OSX on the same machine I just don't know - OSX requires EFI as far as I know and how you boot that from bootmanager is a mystery. - air boot might be able to do it but I don't know.

The other option is to set up OSX and then run OS/2 in a virtual machine which I understand can be done.

Anyway good luck and let us know how you get on.

Pete

Hi Dave

As no-one else has answered these questions I thought I'd give them a go:

"what is the current state of eCS, "

About the same as eCS2.0RC4 - well, some improvements and close to GA we are told.

"do they have a unified dvd writer now"

I'm not really sure what a "unified dvd writer" is but suspect you mean a frontend for burning software. If that is the case you may want to look at CD/DVD Toys http://en.ecomstation.ru/projects/dvdtoys/

"how about playback"

A quick look around os2world will indicate that qt4 has been ported to OS/2 - see http://svn.netlabs.org/qtapps - and 1 of the 1st apps available is smplayer which is a frontend for mplayer. Seems to work reasonably well.

"I use "vuze, limewire" a lot, I use Toast 10 for burning"

No idea what "vuze" is, Sorry.

With regard to limewire: OS/.2 java latest is still at 1.4.2_09 so you would need to either use an older limewire - 4.14 works fine - or search os2world for the trick of getting java1.5.0_07 to work.

"is there dl support in eCS?"

Presuming you mean Dual Layer DVD: Yes, I recently copied a dl DVD, "Seven Moons Live" (for those interested a really good gig by Robin Trower, Jack Bruce and Gary Husband; these "oldies" sure can rock, highly recommended  :-)

I used dvddao to make the copy - http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/cd/cd-r/dvddao-2.0.4.zip

Of course, your hardware needs to be dl capable.

Hope the above is of help.

Pete

RobertM

Quote from: Pete on 2010.02.14, 14:30:33

"I use "vuze, limewire" a lot, I use Toast 10 for burning"

No idea what "vuze" is, Sorry.

With regard to limewire: OS/.2 java latest is still at 1.4.2_09 so you would need to either use an older limewire - 4.14 works fine - or search os2world for the trick of getting java1.5.0_07 to work.

On this note, there are also "native" (Linux recompiled) apps that work as well or better for torrent stuff, such as cTorrent.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Dave

Well thanks Pete
   I guess eCS is not much better then when I left the platform..its a shame
I guess the others did not understand what I was asking...NP...I'm going to
keep an os2 HD someplace...
   I'll be building my hackentosh soon...