• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

File transfer stops

Started by Raiko, 2010.08.20, 19:42:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiko

After changing from ADSL to SDSL at a remote site I now have problems transferring
files. When copying a file from the remote site to my local pc the file transfer stops after
a while. Have not changed any setup, software or hardware other than the router and
an IP address. Sometimes it works for a couple of minutes, and other times up to 7 minutes.
(I'm using the ancient Remote Services Control since it transfers files a lot faster than Netop.)
Any suggestions where to start looking?

ivan

Hi Raiko,

Just a thought - have you tried FTP?  That is how I transfer files to clients computers and, for me, the speed is governed by max speed of the ADSL line.

Another thing, have you checked the settings of the new router?  I'm not too familiar with SDSL but wonder if there is a handshake problem.

ivan

Raiko

Hello Ivan,

No I have not tried FTP, but will have a look at that.
RSM is nice in the way that I can choose how to connect, either I get the desktop of the remote pc
or I can just use it's FTP capabilities.

If it is a handshake problem, I would believe that I then would have a problem connecting?
As it is now I can connect just fine, both in "desktop mode" and FTP, but during transfer of
file it simply stops after a few minutes.

The SDSL router is a Cisco-something which is set up by a company, by some professionals
I hope :-). Anyway, it has no web interface and far too complicated for me to even think about
any configuration changes.

Talking about speed; remote site has SDSL 4/4Mbit and locally I have ADSL 26/4Mbit.
Max speed I have achieved when transferring a 200MB file using Netop is 95KB/sec and
with RSM 132KB/sec and it's far less than I expected.
I guess in theory this setting should result in max speed of 500KB/sec?

Raiko

ivan

Hi Raiko,

From my experience it could still be a handshake problem.  The way the machine sends the chunks of the file and the way the receiving machine checks and acknowledges and requests the next chunk.  If these get out of sync then the transfer stops more or less as you are seeing.  At one time I had to edit the PROTOCOL.INI to allow me to transfer files to one machine in the factory - trouble is it was a long time ago and I've forgot what I did but it was a problem like yours, dropping out of transfer after a short time.

ivan

Raiko

Just remembered that I have installed the new Intel Gigabit driver for my onboard
82566DM-2 gigabit Network Connection. Seems to work fine so far, but I have had
situations where it looks like a web page hangs for a short time when loading.
Have thought that this has been a problem out on the net somewhere, but now I
suspect the new driver. Has anyone had trouble with this driver?
Will switch back to the old nic/driver to see if it solves the problem.

Raiko

Changing nic and driver didn't help at all.

IBManners

Hi,

Change your MTU value in x:\mptn\bin\setup.cmd down.

For ethernet it is normally 1500, for ADSL and to cover overhead
it is normally lower depending on packet type used, so try something
like 1452 and see how you go. If that works and if you could be bothered
you can increase the value by 8 until you find a point were it stops
working or starts having problems.

PPPoA is normally left at 1500
PPPoE is normally 1492 or lower

Add this to the bottom of setup.cmd or simply type it at the command
prompt to test it.

ifconfig lan0 mtu 1452

Cheers
I am the computer, it is me.

Raiko

Have tried various values but still the same problem. Did report the problem to those who configured the router so
it will be interesting to see what they have to say tomorrow.